IGNORED

Bounce on wedges

Note: This thread is 6228 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've got a couple of CG10 Black Pearl wedges "standard" 2 dot. My question is do you think the bounce configs are a little high considering this is "standard" and supposed to be ideal for a wide variety of conditions. My 56has 16 degrees of bounce and my 60 has 12. Seems kinda high... You think they'll be tougher to use on full shots?

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

I've got a couple of CG10 Black Pearl wedges "standard" 2 dot. My question is do you think the bounce configs are a little high considering this is "standard" and supposed to be ideal for a wide variety of conditions. My 56has 16 degrees of bounce and my 60 has 12. Seems kinda high... You think they'll be tougher to use on full shots?

CG...I don't know if this helps...

With Cleveland Golf's three-bounce system, you can fine tune and dial in your wedge to suit your swing and playing conditions. The Low bounce option is an outstanding choice for shots from tight lies and firm turf conditions. The combination of less bounce and narrower sole width lowers the leading edge of the blade to promote clean contact on every shot. Perfect for players who have a shallow attack angle through impact. The Standard bounce option is the best all around wedge for playability in all types of conditions for all types of players. It is very versatile for players who like to be creative around the greens. The Standard bounce is also an excellent choice for players who like to play an open or square face out of the bunker, and who have an average to slightly steeper attack angle. The High bounce option is designed for play out of extremely soft turf conditions and bunkers. The combination of the wider flange and ample bounce angle prevent digging and create a smoother gliding action of the sole along the ground or sand. The High bounce is an excellent choice for players with extremely steep attack angles." I'm playing on harder fairways and much tighter lies than any other part of the year, so I'm looking into another Cleveland wedge that has lower bounce angle...

Da Bag:

TM Super Quad R7 (w/Stulz stiff shaft)
TM CGB R7 4-PW (steel)
Cleveland Halo 1i, 3i, 5i (steel)Cleveland CG10 SW, GWHeavy Putter A1MTitliest ProV1xTitliest Tour BagClub Glove head coversFootjoy Classic Dry Premier

CG...I don't know if this helps...

Thanks AMG. As you know I got a couple of CG10 wedges but because I live in shitty ole New Hampshire I have only been able to play 9 holes so far this year. So I haven't played hardly at all with them. I got the standard bounce because I play in all sorts of conditions but I was just looking at the actual specs and the bounce angle seems high compared to other wedges. I dunno... I'm hearing snow in the forecast so maybe I'm just looking for something to worry about/tinker with since I can't play.

Damn...snow in April. Today actually has sucked...raining all day, but the weekend should be beautiful again. I'm headed to World of Woods for 36holes special they have ($110) to play each of their courses. Wish you guys up North get better weather soon...

Da Bag:

TM Super Quad R7 (w/Stulz stiff shaft)
TM CGB R7 4-PW (steel)
Cleveland Halo 1i, 3i, 5i (steel)Cleveland CG10 SW, GWHeavy Putter A1MTitliest ProV1xTitliest Tour BagClub Glove head coversFootjoy Classic Dry Premier

It kind of depends on how you use each wedge doesn't it? If you use your SW to chip and pitch a lot or you have firm sand in your bunkers you want less bounce etc. Around here a lot of the bunkers are river sand and get pretty firm. When that happens I use my PW or 60 depending on distance. Since I carry 4 wedges I bet I don't hit my SW more than once a round except for bunkers. If your LW is your primary sand club I would want less bounce on my SW.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I live in NH and Maine as well and all three of my CG10's have two dot bounces and they work great for me.

In the bag:
Great Big Birtha II Stiff 10 degrees
Hibore 15 degrees, V2 shaft stiff
X-forged 3-pw
Vokey Oil Can 256-10, 260-08 34in Tess ProV1

great post topic. christ, that's a lot of bounce! depends on the conditions though...could be very sexy for some...crappy for others. i play in all conditions, so i need the variety. for me personally...that would be way too much bounce (actually had this problem with the spin milled wedges i was demoing today. great wedges overall, but too much bounce and can't play some shots off hard pan or tight lies.) i'm looking into CG10 but now i see they do have too much bounce, yikes! my search for the best wedge out there continues...

anyone have any comments about the macgregor tour wedge? those things looks pretty nice.

wish i could just flip a switch and the bounce on the club would change...
THE SET

Driver - FT-5 Tour 9.5* w/ Matrix Studio 84g X Flex
3 Wood - X-Tour 15* w/ Matrix Studio 94g X Flex
5 Wood - X 18* w/ Matrix Studio 94g X Flex(3-9) - Forged MB TT Dynamic Gold X100 D4 weighted standard length and liePW - X-Tour Vintage 50* same shaft as aboveSW - X-Tour Vintage 55*...

Thats what tour pros have man, any day of the week its off to the tour van to get a new wedge for whatever the course throws at em. Lucky bastards

In the bag:
Great Big Birtha II Stiff 10 degrees
Hibore 15 degrees, V2 shaft stiff
X-forged 3-pw
Vokey Oil Can 256-10, 260-08 34in Tess ProV1

Excellent post this - I am learning heaps about this subject here! I am looking into totally upgrading my set soon, including wedges, so this is very timely.
I live in northern NZ down here in the little ole South Pacific, where its usually pretty firm and warm year round. Very keen on Cleveland CG10 - looks like a couple of wedges, say 54 & 60 deg, are the way to go with standard and low bounce options respectively. Will be trying these out at the course this weekend.
Top stuff!

Being a high handicapper I have a different observation. I find the high bounce wedges more forgiving and easier to hit. I have a 60-degree Vokey with 4-deg of bounce and unless I open the club face, it's hard to hit it clean. It's either too much dirt or too much ball. I have a 54-deg CG10 with 16-deg of bounce (3 dot) and I can hit it clean most of the time.

In my Nexos
HiBore XLS Draw Driver
X-hybrid 4,5
Fusion Wide Sole 6-AW
Black Pearl CG10 54/14, CG12 DSG 64 Vokey SM Oil Can 60/8 Spider Pro V1x HX Hot Bite

Stevo - so you're going with the standard 2 dot sand and low bounce lob? Let me know how that works out for you.

tembolo - The CG10's do have 3 different bounce configs so you should still be able to find what you're looking for. Sorry, I haven't tried the MacGregor.

The problem I had with the sand was the low bounce was 12 and the standard was 16.... kinda thought 14 would do the trick. I honestly don't know enough about bounce though (which is why I posted this topic in the first place).

What if I like to chip and pitch with a sand wedge? I understand more bounce isn't good for hard pan or tight lies but what about just chipping from the rough or fairway close to the green? Out of the trap I think that 16 will be magic but I'd like to have a versatile SW.

Another thing you want to consider with bounce on wedges is how you swing. If you swing flat, less bounce is better for you. If your swing is more upright you want more bounce so the wedge doesn't dig in as much. Like someone said before, turf conditions are another factor. Bermuda fairways are much harder and might want less bounce.

Did we confuse you more than you already were?

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

ClevelandGunmetal:
Callaway is marketing the X-Tour PM as having a special grind with a full 11 deg. of bounce in the lob wedge, with a narrower leading edge that is supposed to allow you to chip around the green, but also have enough bounce to get you out of the sand. The "PM" is for Phil Mickelson and is purportedly his grind. Not all of the X-Tour wedges are the PM grind so be careful what you buy. This may be the compromise you are looking for. Good review of the club on this site: http://thesandtrap.com/equipment/clu...d_wedge_review

great post topic. christ, that's a lot of bounce! depends on the conditions though...could be very sexy for some...crappy for others. i play in all conditions, so i need the variety.

Here you go. You can't flip a switch, but you can alter the position of the head and you'll have 3 different bounce angles on a 52, 56, or 60 degree wedge to suit the conditions or what you're trying to do. These are for low handicap golfers and pros. They're being used a lot on the Nationwide. http://www.reidlockhart.com/ Look at the quad bounce info and specs.

Note: This thread is 6228 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!