IGNORED

Tiger's Snapped 4-Iron and Nike Not On the Ball

iacas
Note: This thread is 6212 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I missed this detail the first time around. Thanks.

I think he had it replaced by 15. We TIVOed the masters and replayed his slice into the water about 100 times. When he was taking a few practice swings the sole of the club passed thru the field of view.

We slowed it down and replayed it at different speeds and for a split second several of us thought we saw a 4. It was strange but I only saw the 4 when we replayed it about 3/4 speed. Super slow mo must have skipped two many frames.

hammerTyme();
stop();

I think he had it replaced by 15. We TIVOed the masters and replayed his slice into the water about 100 times. When he was taking a few practice swings the sole of the club passed thru the field of view.

I don't know whether Tiger's 4-iron was replaced or not.

www.azstarnet.com reports, " The Rules of Golf state that players can replace a club if it is broken in the course of normal play, but Woods never went for a replacement. " . See http://www.azstarnet.com/sports/177535 .

I don't know whether Tiger's 4-iron was replaced or not.

That is why I said "I think" We replayed that video a bunch and several of us thought we saw a 4 but we could never get it freeze on that frame.

It would not surpise me to find out we were wrong.

hammerTyme();
stop();

I'm surprised that he doesn't just bring along a duplicate pair of clubs with him everywhere. If I was the world's best golfer, I know I would :) Even if I never broke a golf club, It'd still be awesome to say "Yeah, I got another one in the back" Hehe...

• 2 weeks later...
Based on an update from his newsletter he did not have a back up 4 Iron.

"As for using a 4-iron, it wasn't an option. I always carry a spare driver, 3-wood and putter, but never back-up irons. Although it's a little-known rule, I could have asked my playing partner, Stuart Appleby, to borrow his 4-iron, but there's no way you'd ever do it. Everyone's clubs have different lofts, lies, grips, weight, etc."
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

From what I understand, a lot of these guys tinker with their clubs per course & conditions: grinding, bending, tweaking. Even adjusting mid-tournament. If that's the case, I wouldn't think there would/could be such a thing as a "duplicate" set.

That aside, if Tiger knew/believed he didn't have the right club for the shot he was trying to hit, why did he try to hit it? This guy is universally lauded for his mental game, his course management, the move seems very surprising. Especially given how Zach ruled the par 5's while laying up. And it's not like Tiger is a slouch with a wedge in his hand.

Anyway, my 2 cents...

Ping G10 Draw 10.5*
Sonartec 2.5 17*
Sonartec md 21*, 23*
Mizuno MX23 5-pw
Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 50*, 54*, 60*Scotty Oilcan Laguna

This guy is universally lauded for his mental game, his course management, the move seems very surprising. Especially given how Zach ruled the par 5's while laying up. And it's not like Tiger is a slouch with a wedge in his hand.

My thoughts too. Tiger's wedge is deadly. I think it was a total mental mistake or maybe he figured I'm Tiger I can do it. A birdie on that hole starts to put pressure on Zach and shot in the water give Zach a boost both in lead and mentally. The risk reward factor was not there for that shot.

hammerTyme();
stop();

What you guys are forgetting is Tiger is also deadly with the impossible/improbable shot. From time to time he is going to miss them. But it's what makes Tiger... well Tiger. He is extremely aggressive on the golf course if he's chasing the leader.

I do believe had he been in the lead at the time he may have very well laid up. But lets give credit where credit is due. Zach beat Tiger on Sunday. It may never happen again where Zach beats Tiger on Sunday. But on that day he did it.

In The Bag
SQ 5000 10.5

SQ Sumo 3 wood
MP-32 3-PWGolden Bear Gap Wedge SV Sand Wedge MP T Lob WedgeYes Golf Callie Putter

What you guys are forgetting is Tiger is also deadly with the impossible/improbable shot. From time to time he is going to miss them. But it's what makes Tiger... well Tiger. He is extremely aggressive on the golf course if he's chasing the leader.

I really don't think I'm forgetting what Tiger is capable of. We've all see him make shots that make you shake your head. But he's hit those shots with a full bag. I'm just saying if the 4 was THE club he needed to hit that shot, then he maybe should have hit a different shot. But you're right TarDawg, it may have been the fact that he was chasing and he pressed it. Tiger isn't the best chaser, at least not in majors.

Okay, that makes 3 cents now. I'm broke.

Ping G10 Draw 10.5*
Sonartec 2.5 17*
Sonartec md 21*, 23*
Mizuno MX23 5-pw
Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 50*, 54*, 60*Scotty Oilcan Laguna

• 2 weeks later...
I couldn't believe it when he went for the green on 15, and if it wasn't with the club he needed to hit, then that is a huge mental error, forget about the execution, which was another error. That's when he lost the Masters. He should have laid up and knocked a wedge to inside 10 feet and if he holes it, maybe Johnson crumbles and there you go. That's how Nicklaus won half of his majors. He didn't win leading by seven shots after 3 rounds, he won by letting others know he would be there at the end and giving them every oppurtunity to screw up and give it to him. I tell you, I think a lot of players won't find a Tiger charge so scary now, because he is capable of messing it up himself.
The thing with Tiger though, if he's playing well, he wins by four or five (or 8 or 15). If he's not leading it means his games a bit off, and it means he's going for shots that he really shouldn't be in the form he's in. So it's a situation no other pro can really get himself in - playing ordinary with a chance to win.

But on 15 at the Masters, man, how can a caddie give him the wrong club (whether he knows it or not) and stand back and watch him dunk it into the
water to lose a major? I seem to remember back in the late 90's in a US open Tiger doing the same thing, a stupid decision that cost him a chance to win, and Fluff lost the job a few months later. Could Steve be in the same boat, a bit too comfortable? Can't stand up to Tiger and tell him no?

"That's Golf!"

Note: This thread is 6212 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!