IGNORED

Tiger's Snapped 4-Iron and Nike Not On the Ball

iacas
Note: This thread is 6211 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
In 2005, Chris DiMarco's driver head came a bit loose. He was given a new one a few holes later, per the rules.

Tiger snapped his 4-iron on #11. At 13, he said "the shot in was a perfect 4. I had to hit a 5, kind of hook it in there and hit it hard." He too was allowed to replace the club - why didn't Nike get him his club?

Was his shot in on 15 also a good 4-iron that he had to instead hit with a 5? I haven't seen that question answered yet.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In 2005, Chris DiMarco's driver head came a bit loose. He was given a new one a few holes later, per the rules.

Very interesting, a good point and certainly something to think about. I assumed he was going to get a replacement club per the rules but they (the announcers) never mentioned it.. buuuuuut, I think you're just making excuses for your man Tiger, Erik.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

• Administrator
Very interesting, a good point and certainly something to think about. I assumed he was going to get a replacement club per the rules but they (the announcers) never mentioned it.. buuuuuut, I think you're just making excuses for your man Tiger, Erik.

I'm not making any excuses. I told you what he said about 13, and I wonder if he was forced to hit a club other than the one he wanted on 15. That swing with any club would have resulted in a terrible shot.

Was his club ever replaced? Why did Nike drop the ball?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Nike dropped the ball big time. As soon as Woods snapped the shaft, the announcers mentioned that a club damaged in the course of play could be replaced during the round. It was my assumption the Nike reps would have been jumping through hoops at light speed to get a replacement club to Tiger PDQ. Obviously my assumption was dead wrong. It will be interesting to see if Nike ever comments on this.

The Nike team was too busy replacing a Sand Trap member's (can't remember his handle) non-conforming SUMO2

WITB: Driver: Titleist 910 D2 10.5 R / 5 Wood: r7 ti / Irons: Ping G15 Steel R (3-P, U), / Wedges: Vokey SM4 56/11 SM4 60/07 / Putter: Scotty GoLo 33" / Ball: Titleist Velocity / Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 4.0 / GPS: SG3

The Nike team was too busy replacing a Sand Trap member's (can't remember his handle) non-conforming SUMO2

Good one!

Was the damage caused to the club by Tiger, covered under the manufacturer's warranty?

In My Bag:
Driver: TaylorMade Burner 9.5* Stock Stiff
5 Wood: TaylorMade V-Steel Aldila NV Stiff
7 Wood: TaylorMade V-Steel Stock Steel
4-PW: TaylorMade R7XD Stock Stiff Steel48* Wedge: Callaway Forged52* Wedge: Founders Club60* Wedge: Founders ClubPutter: Odyssey DFX 6600Balls: Titleist ProV1 & DT SoLo

It's amazing that mrbillinoc can get unbelievable customer service from Nike but Tiger can't! Well, I guess in a way, Tiger did get unbelievable customer service from Nike . . .

How does this normally work during a PGA tour event? I don't know. Is it the Nike reps responsibility to replace the club? Is it Steve Williams? Does Tiger have to request it? I can't imagine him not wanting a replacement 4 iron unless he was looking to blame his performance one something (Ok, I'm kidding...) I know he didn't have it on 13 but do we know for sure he didn't get it replaced after that hole? I'm a little surprised by this... and after the initial comment the announcers said nothing on the subject. I just assumed that he would obviously get it replaced and that someone was going to do a mad 40 yard dash to get it to him ASAP. It's not like it was Trevor Immelman sitting in 50th place who broke the club. How could Nike not be on the ball?

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if each top player had identical second sets sitting around in case something like this happened. In either case, whether they would bring their spare set to the tournament is another question.

I remember from an ebay listing, that there were three identical Newport 2s that Scotty made for Tiger in 2000. It's conceivable to think that he has spares for all his clubs....

WITB: Driver: Titleist 910 D2 10.5 R / 5 Wood: r7 ti / Irons: Ping G15 Steel R (3-P, U), / Wedges: Vokey SM4 56/11 SM4 60/07 / Putter: Scotty GoLo 33" / Ball: Titleist Velocity / Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 4.0 / GPS: SG3

I tend to wonder if Tiger had his 4 iron replaced right away and used it on 13 would the shot have turned out as good? I bet he would have hit it too far. So in that sense he's lucky he didn't have the 4 iron, but then on 15 when he came up short it might have made all the difference in the world.

Does anyone know what club he ended up hitting for his 2nd shot on 15?
"You lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll suck forever."

HiBORE XLS 9.5* Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | HiBORE XLS 15* 3w Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | 585h 21* | MP 57 4-pw w/Dynamic Gold s-300 shaft | 53* 56* Rac Chrome 60* Rac Satin | Monza Corza DB 35" | Tour ix
Home...

I was going to say the same thing; If I were a tour pro playing for the kind of dough they are, I'd damn sure have a 2nd set of identical clubs available for every round. Especially in a Major like the Masters!

What's in my bag (most of the time)

Exotics 12°, Aldila VS Proto 65S
Exotics CB1 4W, 16.5°, Fujikura Stiff
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23°, 26º Hybrids, Proforce V2 Stiff Acer XP905 Pro 6-PW, Dynalite Gold S300Inazone CNC Spin Satin GW 50°/8°, SW 54°/14°, LW 58°/4°Boccieri...

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if each top player had identical second sets sitting around in case something like this happened. In either case, whether they would bring their spare set to the tournament is another question.

Would Tiger have it on hand for, say, the Mercedes Championship or the Buick? Probably not. Would he have it on hand for the Masters? Probably. Wouldn't the set just be in his locker back at the clubhouse? Since they delay play forever when they want to anyway, as soon as he broke it, someone could've gone to get it, and if they weren't back by the time he wanted it, he could've waited a "reasonable amount of time"? Finally, do we know for certain that his 4-Iron wasn't replaced? I just assumed it was, but (aside from this thread), I haven't seen anything one way or the other about it.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator
Finally, do we know for certain that his 4-Iron wasn't replaced? I just assumed it was, but (aside from this thread), I haven't seen anything one way or the other about it.

It wasn't replaced two holes later when he said it would have been the perfect club in to 13.

If Tiger did have extra clubs they were probably packed and ready to go home, it was the last day and he was heading into amen corner. A long way from the club house for someone to get him another club if one was available.
Sure Tiger would have got one if he thought he could in time.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

• Administrator
If Tiger did have extra clubs they were probably packed and ready to go home, it was the last day and he was heading into amen corner. A long way from the club house for someone to get him another club if one was available.

You're right. He was just about at the same exact point as Chris DiMarco was when his driver was loosened. A hole later he had a new driver.

Was his club ever replaced? Why did Nike drop the ball?

The Nike reps were in China hiring kids to make more clubs.....LOL.

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

That's a good point. It's not like Tiger was out of the tournament. I got to wonder the same thing.

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

It wasn't replaced two holes later when he said it would have been the perfect club in to 13.

I missed this detail the first time around. Thanks.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 6211 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!