IGNORED

Red Deer Alberta golf courses

welling10
Note: This thread is 4751 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi All

I'm golfing next weekend with a buddie in Red Deer.  I'm from Calgary and he's from Edmonton.  Neither one of us have golfed in the Red Deer area and was just wondering if anyone could recommend some decent courses for us to play.

I have checked them out online but its so hard to tell.

Thanks a lot

The two Wolf Creek courses are by far the best I've played in central AB. Wolf Creek is about 30-40km north of Red Deer. If that's not close enough, try Riverbend or Alberta Springs.

• Upvote 1

Or drive west and play Sundre Golf Club....

That place is legit. Extremely well groomed. Bark under the pine trees, bright white sand in bunkers ( and actual sand not rocks ), perfect greens etc

http://sundregolf.com/

It's the Augusta of Alberta

• Upvote 1

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Have you ever played any courses between Calgary and Edmonton? How accurate is your index? What's your buddy's index? The following courses would be on my list to check out, and I'm assuming you chose Red Deer to even out the driving (cross Sundre off your list if equal driving is important).

1.) Wolf Creek - Old Course at Morningside (very close to Ponoka). Driving by on HWY 2 it doesn't look like much, but like most good prairie courses it's meant to be seen from ground level. Bring your A game and lots of balls. You'll need every club in the bag and if the wind is up, you might weep a little bit mid-way through the back 9.

2.) Innisfail. You might not get on in short notice, and it's carts only, but it's a gem.

3.) Alberta Springs. Worst website in Alberta (it's like one page with a phone number) and the photos don't do it justice, but if you're a bomber, you have to play this course. There are shots possible on this course that you'd never dream of anywhere else. Start the ball where?!? Actually Wolf Creek has some holes like that, but your confidence (or stubborness) has to be off the charts to cut corners there. Best risk/reward par 5s in the area by far.

4.) If you can go west, Pine Hills at Rocky Mountain house is fantastic.

5.) More your way, Olds is pretty good.

6.) Much more his way, check out Coloniale at Beaumont and Red Tail Landing near the Edmonton International Airport.

7.) If you can't get on at Wolf Creek (there, I said it again) try the Ponoka town course (PGCC). If you get off that course with no 3-putts I'll buy you a case of Big Rock!!

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by Kieran123

Or drive west and play Sundre Golf Club....

That place is legit. Extremely well groomed. Bark under the pine trees, bright white sand in bunkers ( and actual sand not rocks ), perfect greens etc

http://sundregolf.com/

It's the Augusta of Alberta

We should play a round out there.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

We should play a round out there.

We should. Except I can't golf again until October....that's pushing it - and if they're aerating the greens, it may not be worth it. But you never know....

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Note: This thread is 4751 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!