IGNORED

Suggestions for Maui Golf???

Note: This thread is 4444 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm headed to Maui in a couple weeks and I'm trying to decided what courses to play. I'm definitley going to play the Plantation Course at Kapalua. But does anybody have any other suggestions. I'd love some reviews from anyone who's been there.

Thanks for any input.

In The Bag

Driver R7 SuperQuad 8.5 Xstiff
5 Wd SQ X stiff steel
3-PW RAC LT X stiff 52 dg RAC TP Satin56 dg RAC TP Satin60 dg Vokey Oil CanPutter Cameron Studio Newport

I'm headed to Maui in a couple weeks and I'm trying to decided what courses to play. I'm definitley going to play the Plantation Course at Kapalua. But does anybody have any other suggestions. I'd love some reviews from anyone who's been there.

I have never played their but if I was you pay for one of the other courses at a cheaper rate and pay the replay fee and then play Plantation. Mkae sure you take pictures and share them!

DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

Went to Maui a couple years ago and played at the Grand Wailea. There are three courses Blue, Gold, and Emerald. We played the Emerald and thought it was great. I wish we could have played the others as well. I heard there is a very nice course at Makena which is just down the road. BTW- the Grand Wailea was without a doubt one of the nicest places to stay you can find. Right up there with the Broadmoore in Colorado. Have fun!
In my Ping Pioneer LC bag -
Driver: TaylorMade R11 10* closed
3 Wood: TaylorMade R11 15* open
Hybrid: Ping G15 20*
Irons: Ping G15 4, i15 5 - PWWedges: Ping Tour S 50*, 56* bent to 55*, 60*Putter: TaylorMade Daytona Ghost 34" 

Went to Maui a couple years ago and played at the Grand Wailea. There are three courses Blue, Gold, and Emerald. We played the Emerald and thought it was great. I wish we could have played the others as well. I heard there is a very nice course at Makena which is just down the road. BTW- the Grand Wailea was without a doubt one of the nicest places to stay you can find. Right up there with the Broadmoore in Colorado. Have fun!

Thanks for the info. I'll try to get a round in there. I looked at the Grand Wailea... ICREDIBLE! But I'm going for a wedding and all my friends are staying in Lahina so I'm at the Hyatt on Kannapali. Has anyone played the Kannapali courses??

In The Bag

5 Wd SQ X stiff steel
3-PW RAC LT X stiff 52 dg RAC TP Satin56 dg RAC TP Satin60 dg Vokey Oil CanPutter Cameron Studio Newport

My wife and I went to Maui for our honeymoon a year and a half ago and stayed half of the time at the Hyatt (the other half at a B&B; inland). First of all the whole island is UNBELIEVABLE... best vacation I've ever been on. The Hyatt is amazing, Lahania is amazing... lots to do there for nightlife too. We went to Warren and Annables (sp?) magic show, a luau, and a sunset cruise there. Man I want to go back.

Unfortunately I didn't bring my clubs so didn't actually play any of the courses. I however did check a few of them out and walked around a little and read reviews. Definitely get on a Kapalua and Grand Wailea. Real nice. I also did drive by Kaanapali courses. I think there is a Tournament course and a Resort course and both got great reviews. See if you can get your hads on Maui Revealed a really good book to have. Not just golf it gives you information and reviews on everything. To be honest... I don't think you will find a bad golf course on the island. You lucky SOB

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

My wife and I went to Maui for our honeymoon a year and a half ago and stayed half of the nights at the Hyatt (the other half at a B&B; for midland). First of all the whole island is UNBELIEVABLE... best vacation I've ever been on. The Hyatt is amazing, Lahania is amazing... lots to do there for nightlife too.

Thanks for the info. I'm getting so damned excited I can't concentrate on work. I just keep looking at the courses online! I got my tee time booked for Kapalua today. 2 weeks from today I'll be on the Plantation course!! Can't wait!

In The Bag

5 Wd SQ X stiff steel

Thanks for the info. I'm getting so damned excited I can't concentrate on work. I just keep looking at the courses online! I got my tee time booked for Kapalua today. 2 weeks from today I'll be on the Plantation course!! Can't wait!

Yeah, you're lucky. Have a great time. I edited my post... see if you can get your hands on

Maui Revealed . Great reviews on golf courses. Actually they review and give information on everything (golf, luau, food, hotels, etc) we would have been lost without it. Although I can think of worse places to get lost in

Yeah, you're lucky. Have a great time. I edited my post... see if you can get your hands on

Thanks. I just ordered the book off of Amazon.

In The Bag

5 Wd SQ X stiff steel

Whoa, Grand Wailea is a gorgeous course, I've just had a look, the Emerald course looks great. I would definately see if you could get down there if I were you.
In My Bag:
Driver: Cobra F Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
3 Wood: Cobra F Speed 15°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
Irons: Cobra 2300 I/M 3-PW
Wedge: Cobra M 54°Putter: Yes! SophiaBall: TaylorMade TP Red

Whoa, Grand Wailea is a gorgeous course, I've just had a look, the Emerald course looks great. I would definately see if you could get down there if I were you.

Alright. Tee times are set!! I'm playing at Kapalua Plantation Course and Bay Course. Grand Wailea Emerald Course. And Royal Kaanapali. I hear there are a couple nice Muni courses I might be able to get on for cheap too. I'll get pictures and post some reviews for anyone who's interested when I get back!

Thanks for the input!

In The Bag

5 Wd SQ X stiff steel

i went to maui 2 years ago, grand wailea was the greatest course conditions wise, but i played this manicipal course but i don't know the name of it, but it was full of weeds and wasn't great conditions but it was next to the ocean and you could see the ocean perfectly

r7 quad tp
ignite t60 3 wood
580h 19* hybrid
irons 670
wedges 52*, spin milled 56*, 60* rosa putter daytona prov1xhome course:3 pines country clubthe carolina country club

Try the Makena North course. The Gold course is the top course at Wailea. For a less pricey experience the Dunes at Maui Lani course is a nice links style layout. I found the courses at Kaanapali to be just so so. I understand the Palmer course at Kapalua is very nice. I've never had time, but you can catch a ferry to Lanai and play the challenge at Manele. Enjoy Maui. Leave time for other stuff.

Thanks for all the great advice. I fly out tomorrow morning. I've got a few tee times set and will let the concierge at the hotel recomend some others. I'll post some pictures and reviews of courses I played if anyone is interested.

Aloha!!

In The Bag

5 Wd SQ X stiff steel

Thanks for all the great advice. I fly out tomorrow morning. I've got a few tee times set and will let the concierge at the hotel recomend some others. I'll post some pictures and reviews of courses I played if anyone is interested.

Have a great time! Although that goes without saying when you're going to Maui. Look forward to your reviews.

• 2 weeks later...
JB, you'll have to let me know how it goes at the Plantation, I'm going to be out there on my honeymoon in October and that is the one course I know I am playing! I'm looking for recommendations for a second course if you can provide any.

My bag:

Driver: Cobra AMP 9.5 degree w/ GD6 stiff flex shaft

3 Wood: Ping Anser 14.5 degree THC-800 stiff flex shaft

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19 degree Mitsubishi Kiani Blue stiff flex shaft

Irons: Nike Pro Combo Tour 4-PW Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Wedges: Titleist Bob Vokey 52-8, 56-11 and 60-4

Putter: 2-Ball White Steel, 34" bent 1 degree flat

I just came across this really cool book that has a bunch of locations for taking a golf trip. The reason I got is because it is a family friendly golf vacation book. I am trying to figure out a way to take a vacation this year and at the same time get to play golf.

www.family-golf-vacations.com

Keep it on the short grass.

JB, you'll have to let me know how it goes at the Plantation, I'm going to be out there on my honeymoon in October and that is the one course I know I am playing! I'm looking for recommendations for a second course if you can provide any.

HAVE YOU DECIDED WHERE YOU'RE STAYING YET? THE HYATT WAS INCREDIBLE!!

ALRIGHT. I JUST GOT BACK FROM MAUI AND IT WAS GREAT!! EVERY PART OF IT. I ONLY ENDED UP PLAYING THREE COURSES. HERE ARE SOME SHORT REVIEWS AND ONCE I GET THE PICS UPLOADED I'LL PUT A LINK TO THOSE WITH BETTER REVIEWS. Plantation Course. An absolute must, just to see how hard the courses tour pros play really are!! I went out with a 54 and came back with a 44 to keep it under 100!! And I'm a 9.6 handicap on my home course! It is really long with lots of blind tee shots and forced carries. I can count 4 tee shots that I thought I hit perfect only to have to ball roll off the severely sloped fairway into the waste deep rough! If you play this course, don't take the wife. Or if you she wants to see it, pay for her to RIDE along! My wife was miserable. Many 150 yard forced carries from the front tees. Not a beginner friendly course at all! Kaanapali, South. Overrated. It was an OK resort course but nothing special. Short, and pretty tight with average greens. Wailea Emerald Course. My favorite!! The best views, and in the best shape of the bunch. It was very woman friendly for the wife and played more fair than the Plantation. Good shots were rewarded. I managed to shoot an 81 even with putting the driver away after 2 holes. I'll post more later, with pics.

In The Bag

5 Wd SQ X stiff steel

We're staying at the Whaler on Ka'anapali. My fiance doesn't play the game (yet...), but she's a big shutterbug and is eager to ride along and take pictures, she's done it before and is good at not interrupting the other players.

Thanks for the suggestions! I might try to sneak on the Emerald Course at twilight if I can, if twilight starts at 1PM what are my chances of getting a full 18 in, assuming I tee off at 1:00-1:15?

My bag:

Driver: Cobra AMP 9.5 degree w/ GD6 stiff flex shaft

3 Wood: Ping Anser 14.5 degree THC-800 stiff flex shaft

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19 degree Mitsubishi Kiani Blue stiff flex shaft

Irons: Nike Pro Combo Tour 4-PW Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Wedges: Titleist Bob Vokey 52-8, 56-11 and 60-4

Putter: 2-Ball White Steel, 34" bent 1 degree flat

Note: This thread is 4444 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!