IGNORED

Shanking CG10s?

Note: This thread is 6209 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a question. Has anyone had a problem with shanking Cleveland CG10s? i have a 52 degree and if i'm focusing usually wont have a problem and its my favorite club in the bag. Sometimes though, i will randomly shank the ball straight left (i'm lefthanded). I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this too. Its mostly with 3/4 shots of like 50-100 yards. Also if you have any clue as to why it randomly does that please share.

In My Bag:
9.5 degree Mizuno MX-500
15 degree Titliest 904F
Mizuno MP-32 3-PW
Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 52 degree
Vokey Spin-Milled 56.14
Ping i5 Anser

im pretty sure its not the club.... haha maybe u r standing too close to the ball?

Titleist 905R 8.5 Degree // Stiff
TaylorMade Rescue Mid 16 Degree// Stiff
Titleist 690.CB// PW-3 Rifle Flighted 6.5
Titleist Spin-Milled 56 Degree
Titleist Spin-Milled 60 Degree

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist Pro V1

Yikes! I have the CG10's (just added them this year) and haven't, uhh, hit a lateral with one yet. But I probably will now! Thanks a lot buddy! J/k

I'm also pretty sure it's not the club. 3/4 shots are tough sometimes... maybe you are a little too handsy with them?

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

Most 'shanks' are exactly that. You hit the ball with the shank of the club head.

Moving away from the ball a little can help but you do see it alot on less than full swing shots. IMHO, my shanks come from lazy mechanics on an 'easy' swing.

hammerTyme();
stop();

I think it could be part of the clubs fault....

I find the CG10 feels really light in my hands. I have a 56 one dot CG10 and I have a 51 588 TA, it just feels like the 588 had a bit more head weight and so I don't have to swing the club as much, just put it on the right path and let the club head drop into the ball on its own. But then again it could all be just in my head.

I think it could be part of the clubs fault....

That's interesting. I just switched to CG10's after using 588's for years and the biggest difference I noticed was the heavier swing weight of the CG10's.

Regardless, it's not the clubs fault.

Also if you have any clue as to why it randomly does that please share.

Shanks are typically caused from too much of an inside-out swing path (i.e. you are coming at the ball too much from the inside. The club doesn't rotate enough and thus the hosel gets to the ball before the clubface does.

In My Bag:
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5°, Harmon HTD CB-65R
3-Wood: Mizuno MP-001, 13°, Harrison Striper Titanium
Hybrid 1: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 16°
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

It's always the clubs fault

In My Bag: This week
Driver: Nike square Sumo 10.5
4-Wood: Nike square Sumo 14.5
7 wood Cleveland launcher,
5 utility 19* clevelandIrons: 4-7 Titleist 690mb 8-pw Mizuno MP 33Wedges: Gauge Design GAS II 52* and 58* Putter: Scotty Cameron TE 10 2.5TP Mills or Cameron's or Bettinardi's. let me...

FahooGolfs hit the nail on the head. Those 3/4 shots I find will cause my to try to "pepper" the ball just right. Thus I find myself pulling away from the ball and really overrotating my top half. I hit with spin milled vokeys and do the same thing every now and then.
The best advice I can give you is what my buddies tell me. "you stay down and hit it, and we will watch it"

Driver FT-5 9.5-neutral-stiff
Wood Fusion 3 wood 15*-neutral-stiff
Irons X-forged irons 4-W
Wedges Vokey spinned milled 54* bent to 52*,56* and 60*
Putter Tour Blue TT3Balls Pro V1x

You've seen tin cup haven't you?

In your mind it will always be the club. Go back to your old ones for a week and the new ones will be fine.

In My Bag: This week
Driver: Nike square Sumo 10.5
4-Wood: Nike square Sumo 14.5
7 wood Cleveland launcher,
5 utility 19* clevelandIrons: 4-7 Titleist 690mb 8-pw Mizuno MP 33Wedges: Gauge Design GAS II 52* and 58* Putter: Scotty Cameron TE 10 2.5TP Mills or Cameron's or Bettinardi's. let me...

Also make sure you are not using just arms. Make a mini turn just like a full swing but 3/4.

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

My advice....Vokey!

Driver: Ping Rapture V2 9° TFS Stiff | 3 wood: Exotics CB 15° Fujikura HL Stiff | Hybrids: Adams Idea Tech V3 16° Stiff, TM Burner Rescue 19° & 22° REAX Stiff | Irons: Titleist 735.CM DG S300 5-PW | Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 254.10, 258.08 | Putter: Rossa Imola 34"

i've got the same issue with these wedges...so you arent the only one, i think im gonna switch to the either the vokey's like suggested or the ping tours. its probably just in my head but im terrible with these wedges.

driver: Burner TP 9.5 S
FWY Wood: 906F2 15.5*
hybrid: Idea Pro 18*
irons: MP-57 3-W
Wedges: X-Forged 56, 60 Putter: Anser Redwood Putter Black Series i #9

C'mon guys.... you Shhhhhh a CG10 wedge and you think you'll be okay with a vokey? They're both blade style wedges. They do make wedges that are a little more forgiving with some sort of small cavity where you won't have to sacrafice a whole lot of feel (CG11 for example).

its not the cavity that will make the difference...for me its the bounce that messes with my head, i may actually try the 588's with the dsg grind and see how that works. i should clarify its not shanking it for me its mroe that i will catch the ball thin so i think in my head i jsut think ill catch it thin so im gonna change up to something with less bounce.

driver: Burner TP 9.5 S
FWY Wood: 906F2 15.5*
hybrid: Idea Pro 18*
irons: MP-57 3-W
Wedges: X-Forged 56, 60 Putter: Anser Redwood Putter Black Series i #9

its not the cavity that will make the difference...for me its the bounce that messes with my head, i may actually try the 588's with the dsg grind and see how that works. i should clarify its not shanking it for me its mroe that i will catch the ball thin so i think in my head i jsut think ill catch it thin so im gonna change up to something with less bounce.

Oh, I see. That makes more sense to me. Catching it a little thin and the 'S' word are two different animals. Yeah, the CG10's in general have quite a bit of bounce. Not sure why they made the "standard" bounce so high. You can get a one dot (low bounce) in most of them (not sure if that's avail. in the 50 or 52 degree though).

Note: This thread is 6209 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!