IGNORED

To steal a Titleist ad: How do you mark your ball? Or do you mark it at all?

Note: This thread is 5924 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't often run into people who play the same ball (Mafli Black Max) so I don't generally mark them... I also play high number pro V1's for the same reason. When I play a more common brand I put a single red dot at the top right of the number.

If you do not put a unique identifier on your ball, your are in violation. I don't care how many Black Maxes are made, you cannot prove the ball you are hitting is yours. If you get in a money game with my crowd, you will get called on it.

I sign my first name in black sharpie on the side of the ball (over the model description). Oh, I don't have to explain how I mark my ball. I just hold it up on the first tee.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One blue dot to the left of the number and a yellow dot to the right. Go Michigan!!

Sweet! Go Blue!!

A blue dot, a red dot and a white dot above Titleist, centered as well as I can.

Not being a smart aleck, but how do you put a white dot on a golf ball?

I mark mine with a dot or two over the logo with whatever sharpie I have in my bag, sometimes, I just put my initials on the ball.

In my Grom:
Driver: :nike: Sasquatch 9.5° Graffalloy Shaft-Stiff Flex
FW: :nike: 3 (15°) & 5 (19°) Sasquatch Diamana Shaft-Stiff Flex
Hybrid: :touredge: Tour Edge Exotics Ironwood 21° Adila Shaft-Stiff Flex
Irons: :nike: 4-AW OSS Steel Shaft-Stiff Flex
Wedges: :vokey: Vokey Spin Milled 54 and 60
Putter:  :edel: Basic Series 

If you do not put a unique identifier on your ball, your are in violation. I don't care how many Black Maxes are made, you cannot prove the ball you are hitting is yours. If you get in a money game with my crowd, you will get called on it.

I was watching a tournament where KJ Choi drove his ball into the deep rough. After searching for several minutes. someone found an unmarked ball that he claimed was his. The rules guy on TV said that all he had to do was say the ball was his and it was fine.

Rule 12-2 says a player "should put an identification mark on his ball." I can't find a rule that says the ball must be marked. Scott
Driver: Nike Dymo² Str8-Fit 9.5° UST AXIV Core 69 Stiff
3 Wood: Nike Sumo² 3 Wood 15° Aldila VS Proto 65 Stiff
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler Pro 3/R 20° DGS300
Irons: Titleist AP2 3-PW PX 5.5 (+ 1/2" and 2° upright)
Wedge: Titleist Vokey Design 200 Series 52°/8° Wedge: Titleist Vokey...

I put a 'B' to the right of the number on each side of the ball.

905R 9.5* | Steelhead Plus 15.5*, 18*
MX-25 3-PW | T-Zoid Pro II 3-PW
Vokey SM TC 60.04
Special SI Anser II

If you do not put a unique identifier on your ball, your are in violation. I don't care how many Black Maxes are made, you cannot prove the ball you are hitting is yours.

Decision 12-2/1 specifically counters this assertion (see below). On the other hand, it's probably not the smartest thing for me to do... as it certainly opens the door to a time when I may *not* be able to honestly identify my ball. See rule 27 (

http://www.usga.org/playing/rules/rules_of_golf.html) . Fortunately, I haven't had that problem yet - scuff marks generally do the trick if needed. I've seen found but unmarked balls both identified and declared lost on tour.
12-2/1 Identifying Ball by Brand and Number Only Q. In the area in which his ball presumably came to rest, a player finds a ball of the same brand and identification number as the ball he is playing. The player assumes it is his ball, even though it does not carry an identification mark as suggested in Rule 12-2, and plays it. Should the player be considered to have played a wrong ball? A. No, unless (1) there is reasonable evidence that, because of the ball’s condition, it is not the player’s ball or (2) subsequently it is established that another ball of the same brand and identification number was lying in the area at the time the player played and either ball, from a condition standpoint, could be the player’s ball.
Cleveland - HiBore XL (9.5* Fuji Fit-On Gold Stiff)
Bobby Jones/Jesse Ortiz - 3W & 21* H3 (Stock Stiff)
Ben Hogan - Apex FTX 4-FW (Apex 4 shafts)
TaylorMade - rac TP 56.12 satin & 60.6 black
Scotty Cameron - Mil-Spec Newport 2 (33" standard)

I use a sharpie and circle the number on the ball.
Mike

Titleist 915 D-2 9,5*

Titleist 915F 15*

Titleist 915H 18*

Mizuno MP-4 3-PW

Mizuno MP 54* & 60*

Yes Pippi Putter

• 2 months later...
i put a green (fav colour) dot to the left (left handed golfer) of the number on my ball.
in the bag:
R580XD 10.5°
Rescue Dual 19°
Titleist 755 4-PW
Vokey Black Nickel 54.10° Vokey Oil Can 60.08° Circa 62 No. 2 Charcoal Mist

I don't mark my balls, actually. I like a pristine ball.

also a nice way to advertise
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I draw a line with a green sharpie on either side of the ball model that I use to line up putts. I also put my initials on the other side of the ball

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

I dont like to ruin a brand new ball,but if im using it in a big competition i put GD my initials each side of the number.

In the Wilson Stand Bag

Driver:........Ping........G5 Reg shaft
3 Wood:......Mitsushiba.........M575-15°

Irons:.........Taylormade RocketBallz......3 Hybrid - PW..Stiff Shafts

Wedges:....Cleveland CG16 56 & 60

I put two marks on the right side of the arrow on the Pro v's.

905R fujikura 27.5
X 15 degree
MP 60
Oil Can 53 & 56
Trusty Rusty 61 Circa 62 #6 pro v1

Three black dots - anywhere on the ball.

WITB: Driver: Titleist 910 D2 10.5 R / 5 Wood: r7 ti / Irons: Ping G15 Steel R (3-P, U), / Wedges: Vokey SM4 56/11 SM4 60/07 / Putter: Scotty GoLo 33" / Ball: Titleist Velocity / Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 4.0 / GPS: SG3

Note: This thread is 5924 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!