IGNORED

My Swing (jwalkerus)

jwalkerus
Note: This thread is 4457 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Good Evening gents. Could you please take a look at my swing. hit an 8 iron usually from 150 and hit my drive anywhere from 230 -250, maybe more if i catch it right. I'm about an 18-20 handicap mostly because my off the tee game is just plain gross. usually low left hooks or super high blocks. i usually lose 3-4 balls off the tee in water or hazards per round. only thing that saves me is my short game and putting. i have had one quick 10 minute lesson and the teacher told me i have an "in to out" swing which produces the hooks. anything thing that you guys could tell me i would greatly appreciate. any drills or whatever. I'm almost to the point where its not fun anymore to go play a round of golf. not fun when your usually hitting 3 from the tee or dropping a ball for a 2 stroke penalty cause u just hit it in to the water. please help

The very first thing i noticed is how short your swing is.  You drive it 230-250 which is not bad, but you can get way more distance my making a longer swing.  If you dont want to take a longer swing to hit it farther, then take a longer swing so you can get more tempo into your swing and be more controlled.

Your buddy sounds like he said you got it to parallel, but you didn't

It looks like you swing inside to out, but have a square clubface to where your swinging (pointing right) and that just looked like a big 'ol push.

I would say two things,

1. get to parallel, to hit it farther but mostly to get a more controlled swing with more tempo.

2.  make sure your club face is pointing left of where your swing and you will draw.  Try to feel is if you are closing the clubface at impact, and i bet you will draw the ball

Good luck man

Tiger90

sorry, didnt realize you said you hooked it... if you want to slice it, try to come over the top.  Swing outside to in and have an open clubface.

If you try to hold your finish so your wrists are pointing to the sky after impact instead of to the ground, you should move the ball left to right.  I would focus on keeping your clubface open at impact to block out the left side

Tiger90

i usually do get it too parralel and sometimes past.that was just one swing.  i was just being modest about my distance. i didnt want to be one of those dudes that say, i hit the ball 400 yards normally. my normal drives are anywhere form 250-280 and occasional 300 if i flush it.

Originally Posted by jwalkerus

can already tell back of left hand not facing the target and right hand is way underneath. just lookign. i honestly have no idea whats right and whats wrong

if your saying his right hand is underneath, as in it is a weak grip, then that will promote a slice if anything.  a strong grip with your right hand more over top your left will promote a hook...so i dont think that is the problem

Tiger90

That sounds about right.  hook would be your in to out swing with a closed club face.  And your push would be an in to out swing with a club face that is square to your swing plane (pointing right, where your club is going).

So, like i said, i would try to hit a cut if i were you.  Look up all the things on how to hit a cut and see what works for you....like i said above, outside to in swing path and and open club face...if you do this you will block the left side of the course out.

I can see how frustrating those two misses would be....you basically have to aim down the middle and hope to hit it straight because you have opposite misses...

If you can block out the left side by hitting a cut, then i would do that.  At least you can aim left and slice it...a little better idea of where the ball is going istead of closing your eyes and praying

Tiger90

Note: This thread is 4457 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!