IGNORED

When to replace your clubs?

Note: This thread is 6186 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just wondering how worn irons can get before they start affecting your play?

My set is several years old and have polished areas from striking the ball. It doesn't seem to matter but have never had new clubs and wondering if I would notice a difference...

Hi!

From what I've read, a lot of people recommend having your clubs checked by a clubmaker once a year in the off-season to see if the shafts are ok, if the loft or lie has changed through use, etc. Most of these normal wear and tear adjustments are fairly simple, and keep your clubs in like-new condition for a lot longer than if you don't. The clubmaker will also tell you if your heads are unacceptably worn down also. But from your description it doesn't sound like it's at the point where it's affecting your game.

Having said that, it's probably also true that if you THINK your clubs might need replacing there is probably nothing you can do to them to make you feel better about your set. I think we all know what it feels like to start the "New Equipment Obsession" cycle

Good luck!

Tom

Bag It:

3-Wood: Taylor Made Bubble Burner (ca.1994!)
Hybrid: Wishon "321", 24*, MSF shaft, Winn DSI
Irons: Wishon 770CFE, Matrix Studio 74 shafts, Winn DSI
Putter: Odyssey DFX 2-Ball

Bag It:

3-Wood Wishon 525 F/D, 13*, Matrix Studio 65gm, Golf Pride Dual Compound
Hybrid: Wishon "321", 24*, MSF 85 HB, Winn DSI
Irons: Wishon 770CFE, Matrix Studio 74gm, Winn DSI

Putter: Odyssey DFX 2-Ball

Bag: Some big, honkin', ridiculous overkill of an Ogio cart bag with more pockets than I have teeth.

I'd consider changing irons if/when your swing speed or tempo changes dramatically, or if you bought starter equipment without really knowing what you needed. Lots of golfers start with marginal equipment, bought with little knowledge or consideration for their size and swing characteristics.

I got my first set at a garage sale. Found out they were super soft shafts and I couldn't control the ball well at all.

Forged irons and wedges might need adjusting sometimes, especially if you practice on mats a lot. Most of the cavity-back irons are something like 431 stainless and they don't usually move enough to need adjustment.

Mostly though, golf clubs last a pretty long time. Grips wear out, and grooves lose their definition over time, and both can be fixed easily.

Andrew

ya when u really change them is of course personal preference, but when the quality of play from them drops significantly, its time to move on. My RAC LT's have browning marks on the face from contact over 3 years, but replacing them has only just become a thought.

Driver: r7 460 TP 10.5 w/Ozik Altus SX
3 Wood: Tour Proto 14.5 w/Ozik Xcon7 SX
Hybrid: Tour Proto. A2TS 19 w/ Matrix Ozik Altus HB SX
Irons: R7tp w/project x 6.0
Wedges: spin milled 56 w/ Proj. x 5.5 XTour60putter: Monza CorzaBall: Pro V1/ whatevers in my bag.

whenever you improve to move up on to newer, better clubs to suite you...my dad played with clubs from the 1970's from when he played at rutgers up until last year.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Note: This thread is 6186 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!