IGNORED

Can Golf HELP my back pain?

Derrick James
Note: This thread is 4342 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

have to agree with this....I was having some minor lower back pain for quite awhile, and started to see a chiropractor for it.  Through him I figured out the importance of carrying extra pounds on your body and how it impacts everything, and through diet and exercise lost around 35lbs.  Guess what?  After losing the weight, most of the back pain was gone!  Another way that helped my back pain was to walk the course as much as possible; now I walk every time I play.   Its good for you too!

100% agree with this, i've dropped 70 lbs over the past 4 years, and after my first 40 lbs i had no more daily back pain. I still occassionaly slept on my back wrong, or did something stupid that caused back pain, but there was no chronic back pain.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Im 36 years old, and have had moderate off and on back problems since a high school basktball fall. Began golfing about 3 years ago and noticed my back pain getting worse. I was told by my dad that I should lose some weight to relieve any extra stress my diet and lifestyle placed on my back. I bought P90X did the whole 90 day routine lost 40 lbs and in the process became way more flexible. They offer a whole disc devoted to your core. They have a good hour long stretching routine along with a 2 hour yoga disc! The Yoga disc kicked my butt for weeks but it was well worth it. Now Im not saying Im out of the woods backwise becasue I currently have a ruptured disc that I will be underging surgery for in the next couple weeks. (unrealted to golf)  To try ty answer your question though I think it all depends on your approach. You have to train, stretch and prepare your body for golf just like any other sport, maybe more. Also get a good push cart and try walking. It wont HELP back pain, but with the right amount of core and flexibility training this is a game we should all be able to enjoy well into our Golden Years. At least thats my goal.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

I know if I get a sore back from doing some chore around the house or yard, playing golf helps loosen my back up and will actually help.  2 years ago I put in hardwood floors in my house, 1000 sq ft of wood, and had a sore back for months.  After a couple of weeks of regular golf my back loosened up and I haven't had any problems since.

Even if it didn't help my back I would never tell my wife that........

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Note: This thread is 4342 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!