IGNORED

Golf Vs. Guitar

Domenic
Note: This thread is 4288 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

^^ Hey BL - if I were honest with myself, I've been eBaying for the last dozen years or so ... and participating in all the online guitar forums where GAS is always at epidemic levels ... the real number bought and sold probably far exceeds what I've posted.     It's a process - I thought I knew what I liked, had to go out and try everything, and in the end, I'm back to where I started & came full circle (Gibson Les Pauls).      My newfound golf obsession at least has my GAS at bay.      As you know, as expensive as golf clubs are, it is childs play compared to buying/selling guitars ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ive been playing guitar for over 14 years and have owned just about some of everything out there but just like anything else u start with something cheap and see how you gel with it. as you get better you upgrade. you can probley find something cheap on craigslist just to get you started. have a buddy who plays guitar go with you and help you out and set up the action on your guitar. you could buy a $3000 dollar guitar but if its not set up right its worthless. Ive taught guitar lessons over the years and the first thing we do is set the action and adjust the neck and all on their guitar. im a lead guitarist and out of the 10 guitars i have right now 4 of them are Fender strats. i find them to be very versatile

thanks man! I'd love an HSS and there are some Squiers like that, but similar to all the flack about girls and boys and personalities, sexual attraction is crucial. And these HSS I looked at were UGLY! Anyways, I'll check out Cort!

"It's better to burn out than to fade away." -Kurt Cobain

Quote:

^^ Hey BL - if I were honest with myself, I've been eBaying for the last dozen years or so ... and participating in all the online guitar forums where GAS is always at epidemic levels ... the real number bought and sold probably far exceeds what I've posted.     It's a process - I thought I knew what I liked, had to go out and try everything, and in the end, I'm back to where I started & came full circle (Gibson Les Pauls).      My newfound golf obsession at least has my GAS at bay.      As you know, as expensive as golf clubs are, it is childs play compared to buying/selling guitars ...

The first step is acknowledging you have a problem.  Then continued work with GAS Anonymous will eventually prevent relapses.

Domenic!  Get out now!  It is a dreaded disease that fills your spare room with guitars and amps and tuners and keyboards and packs of strings and harmonicas........

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't even have a properly functioning guitar, but I'm already showing signs of GAS!!!

"It's better to burn out than to fade away." -Kurt Cobain

my only advice, from having played guitar since 1968 and currently still playing in two local bands is:

Get a Telecaster.

If you're interested in more detail, in your budget range, Look around for a made in Mexico Tele.

If your hands are small get one with a 7.25" radius maple neck.  If your hands are not so small get the 9.5" radius neck.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I'm a no talent hacker but 30 yrs ago 100$ guitars were junk even for me.

I bought a 125$ hss squire strat new about 6 months ago and see no problem with it.

I mostly play (at) bass and prefer my 80$ used squire bronco to my 550$ schecter hellcat vi

Did you win the tele?  I think my next guitar, hopefully in a couple of years, will be a tele.  I currently have a Yamaha acoustic, a Kona hollow body, and a Dean electric.  I related on all too many levels to the posts in this thread.  I played guitar when I was in grade school but then did not touch a guitar for 25+ years.  My wife got me a guitar for Christmas 3 years ago and since I have been playing around with different styles and makes.

Golf seems to occupy my thoughts and time spring through summer and into fall (which takes me into coaching football and hunting), I seem to play guitar a lot more in the winter when there isn't much outside activity to detract me, but try to play once or twice a week so I don't lose too much of what I am trying to learn.

Note: This thread is 4288 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!