IGNORED

Whistling Straits: tips, caddie info, anything...

Note: This thread is 4074 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi everyone,

I'm making it to Wisconsin for two nights at Kohler and am getting onto the Straits course and the Blackwolf River course...

Curious to know if anyone has any tips, tidbits, or recommendations to share...did anyone have a great caddie they'd play with again, or one i should toss into lake michigan?

will be back with some photos next week!

TIA--
Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Flickr pics from hacking it up at Pebble, Bandon, Pinehurst, Whistling Straits, the Black, Kiawah & more...

Dereck tended to screw around. My buddy had a guy named Tom, who was awesome. Don't know your handicap, but don't try to bite off too much. The tips at Whistling isn't for the faint of heart. The carry on 18 was over 250 yards or death. I'm a 4 and we played from the greens or 3rd from the back.

River course is gorgeous...we didn't take a caddy and you may not need one there. Two totally different courses and you will have some wonderful views on both courses. If you have the chance, I'd play all 4 courses just because the other 2 aren't that far off in terms of quality.

Another to consider is just south of there..Erin Hills, new course, 8200 yards from the tips. It was featured in Golf Digest last month. It will have some tournaments in the future.

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

Hey Hurley,

First off thanks for the heads up about the caddies. Trust me I don't plan on thinking I'm Superman out there.

Good to hear the River course is also a blast to play--unfortunately I only have time for the two courses (bringin the wife along so squeezing in 36 a day won't be possible)...

Anyway thanks again...

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Flickr pics from hacking it up at Pebble, Bandon, Pinehurst, Whistling Straits, the Black, Kiawah & more...

totally agree about Erin Hills. actually i don't like the blackwolf courses as much. decent views but didn't like the layout at all.

would definitely recommend playing the Irish course at WS if you can.

What's in the bag:

Driver: Adams 9064LS (project RIP Shaft) 9.5 degree
3 Wood: Titleist 909R 14.5 degree
Hybrid 3-iron: 19 degree Tour Professional (bent to 18 degrees)Hybrid 4-iron: 21 degree Tour ProfessionalIrons: Tour X-20 5-PW Project X 6.0 shaftsGap Wedge: Mizuno MP10 52.08 Sand Wedge: Mizuno MP10 58.10 Lob Wedge: Nike 62.06

• 4 weeks later...
I have played all four courses there. I love the Straits. But your right, half your experience is the caddy. I had some clown the first trip and then i got lucky. Rich #175 is awesome! I can't remember his last name but I think it's Schmidt . I had him for three days in a row. Great putt reader which helps all of us take 5-10 strokes off each 18. You can call and request him, but I know he's in demand. If Rich is not available, Charlie Beau is good too. I had him one round when Rich was not available. I think the River course is the hardest of the four courses. A lot of directional golf with tough greens. The Straits is great as well. I have never been there without 20-30 mph winds. Try to book tee times early in the morning. The wind seems to be calm until 10:30 or so. Have fun, I'll be bacK in September!

• 6 years later...

I have played a lot of golf and have taken a lot of caddies, The caddie I had on the straits course was great, It was like having a 15th

club in my bag, he' s name is Barry, Caddie # 182 I do not know his  last name Request him . He made my day enjoyable I shot at least 4 -6 strokes less. on one of the hardiest course I have played.  I whish i would have taken a caddie on the Irish, River and the medows course.

Note: This thread is 4074 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!