IGNORED

Handicaps

slackhouse
Note: This thread is 6168 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm a new golfer. I've only been playing for a few months. So, I have no idea what a handicap is (i.e. how it is calculated, what's the purpose, etc.)? I figured that this could be a very informative thread for myself and some might also see that they are mistaken in what they believe in regards of a handicap. So, please, without further ado, shoot and fire. Give me your best shot and teach this padawan the ways of the force.
What's in the bag... ( Revolver)

Driver: Big Bertha Diablo 8*
3 Wood: 4DX Fairway 15*
3I-PW: X20 Tours (Rifle Project X Flighted 6.0)Wedges: CG12 Black Pearl 50* 54* SM Vokey X-Forged 58* C GrindPutter: Classic #2 66* lieBalls: Various

A golf handicap is a numerical measure of an amateur golfer's playing ability. It can be used to calculate a net score from the number of strokes actually played, thus allowing players of different proficiency to play against each other on somewhat equal terms. Handicaps are administrated by golf clubs or national golf associations. Exact rules relating to handicaps can vary from country to country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golf_handicap

What's in the Bag

Driver: HiBore 10.5* ProLaunch Blue 65s
Hybrid: No Fear 3i
Irons: Launcher LP 4-PW Harmonized 50* GWAmerican Standard 56* SWStriker by Golf Trends 60* LobPutter: Pro Response bladeBall: Tour Fire

This is one of the simplest, clearest explanations I have read. It is easy to make handicapping sound like a complicated endeavor. Nice link.

In my bag -

MacGregor V-Foil 13º
Lynx Fairway Metal 18º
TM SuperSteel Burner 3-PWSrixon I-201 56ºPurespin Wedges 52º & 60º

I'm a new golfer. I've only been playing for a few months. So, I have no idea what a handicap is (i.e. how it is calculated, what's the purpose, etc.)? I figured that this could be a very informative thread for myself and some might also see that they are mistaken in what they believe in regards of a handicap. So, please, without further ado, shoot and fire. Give me your best shot and teach this padawan the ways of the force.

In the U.S.A. the system is administered based on a system devised by the U.S.G.A. Their web site explains it. Most states also have state associations which maintain web sites containing explanations. Basically though the low 10 out of 20 rounds are used. The difference between par after slope adjustment from the tees you played multiplied by I believe 96 percent is your handicap. The number of rounds used must be at least 5.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

thanks for the links. the wikipedia article is very detailed and explains things well. i didn't realize that people should actually figure out their handicap and calculate their scores to that. i guess that allows golfers on different levels to compete with each other in a more fair manner. Thanks again.
What's in the bag... ( Revolver)

Driver: Big Bertha Diablo 8*
3 Wood: 4DX Fairway 15*
3I-PW: X20 Tours (Rifle Project X Flighted 6.0)Wedges: CG12 Black Pearl 50* 54* SM Vokey X-Forged 58* C GrindPutter: Classic #2 66* lieBalls: Various

Note: This thread is 6168 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!