IGNORED

Americans and Brits Shouting!

Jimmy3putts
Note: This thread is 4211 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Nosevi

As this is a golf forum I'll just leave you with one thought. To prove you are at the top of the world as far as golf is concerned most would agree that you have two chances - The Ryder Cup and the World no 1 spot. Take those off us then come back and be as smug as you want. Until that time, simply doff your cap and perhaps say "well played".

I think things like "% of players in the top 10" (or top 20, or top 50) count too. More than the Ryder Cup or the position of one player (unless you want to say that Fiji, for a short time, produced the "best golfers in the world" or something, and that it was the U.S. throughout all of Tiger's reign).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

In my experience, treed golf courses feel a lot "tighter" than treeless ones. Just sayin'.

You've been to Augusta, right? So you would know that although there are many tree's there, it

a. has really wide fairways on an awful lot of holes.

b. has no rough. I mean zero, compared to any other major (but quite a lot compared to Medinah).

c. really helps a lefty who can hit fade it or a righty who can draw it. One of the reasons Trevino never got close at Augusta - he could not get round there.

Taylor Made R11S 9 Degree

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

I think things like "% of players in the top 10" (or top 20, or top 50) count too. More than the Ryder Cup or the position of one player (unless you want to say that Fiji, for a short time, produced the "best golfers in the world" or something, and that it was the U.S. throughout all of Tiger's reign).

Ok, I'll concede that you could just look at the top 10. You have 5, we have 4. Just pipped us again. And top 5 we're well up. Top 20 you're well ahead. My point is we don't do badly for our size, we're right up there. I do actually think the Ryder Cup counts for something. It's designed as a straight contest, US vs Europe and that's what it is. Jack Nicklaus described it as two years of bragging rights. It's nothing more but it is that.

Pete Iveson

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Shouldn't we shout, 'Well Played!!"?

I read about 10 articles with Lawry's comments, only did I see his last statement below.

Lawrie, the oldest player on Europe’s team at 43, lost his opening fourball match Saturday before beating Snedeker, 5 and 3, in the biggest singles victory on Sunday. But the Scot was unhappy at the behavior of the Chicago gallery, and said captain Jose Maria Olazabal dealt with the issue in meetings at the start of last week.

‘‘I didn’t get abused, but you get comments like: ‘Top it! Shank it! You’re going to lose.’ Stuff like that on every shot you play,’’ Lawrie said Wednesday. ‘‘Every single shot you hit last week, that’s what you get. So apparently that’s how it is.’’

‘‘Jose Maria made it clear — don’t even look at them, don’t take them on. Certainly don’t react. Don’t make on as though it’s hurting us. Just hit your shot and walk on. It’s pretty tough when someone is screaming and blowing in your ear that you’re a loser. But there’s not much you can do. Which makes it all the more satisfying on Sunday night when you’re standing there with the Ryder Cup in front of you and they are not.’’

Lawrie said it had happened to him before in the United States, but that Europe’s fans could be just as bad.

[QUOTE name="Beachcomber" url="/t/61371/americans-shouting/270#post_776459"] Shouldn't we shout , 'Well Played!!"? :beer: [/QUOTE] I read about 10 articles with Lawry's comments, only did I see his last statement below. Lawrie, the oldest player on Europe’s team at 43, lost his opening fourball match Saturday before beating Snedeker, 5 and 3, in the biggest [U][URL=http://www.boston.com/sports/golf/2012/10/04/medinah-gallery-criticized-ryder-cup-winners/mHAYDudbElRVPVebL6CDBI/story.html#][COLOR=0066CC]singles[/COLOR][/URL][/U] victory on Sunday. But the Scot was unhappy at the behavior of the Chicago gallery, and said captain Jose Maria Olazabal dealt with the issue in meetings at the start of last week. ‘‘I didn’t get abused, but you get comments like: ‘Top it! Shank it! You’re going to lose.’ Stuff like that on every shot you play,’’ Lawrie said Wednesday. ‘‘Every single shot you hit last week, that’s what you get. So apparently that’s how it is.’’ ‘‘Jose Maria made it clear — don’t even look at them, don’t take them on. Certainly don’t react. Don’t make on as though it’s hurting us. Just hit your shot and walk on. It’s pretty tough when someone is screaming and blowing in your ear that you’re a loser. But there’s not much you can do. Which makes it all the more satisfying on Sunday night when you’re standing there with the Ryder Cup in front of you and they are not.’’ Lawrie said it had happened to him before in the United States, but that Europe’s fans could be just as bad.

I don't want to criticise a US news report at all, that was from Yahoo news I think, and was not actually what Paul Lawrie said at all. A direct quote of what Paul said in the interview in question was: "I think they (the American team) said it's the same when they come here. Apparently that's how it is, but I can't see that." I'd argue that is a little different from him saying he thought it was the same over here, in fact Lawrie actually said he didn't think it was, the US papers etc put their own spin on it hence that bit of all of their reports is not a quote. Not saying Lawrie is right or wrong but the US issues did kind of fib a bit about what he said. They weren't actually the ones who interviewed him which makes it a tad worse. As I said, at least they didn't claim the last bit was a quote.

Pete Iveson

I don't want to criticise a US news report at all, that was from Yahoo news I think, and was not actually what Paul Lawrie said at all. A direct quote of what Paul said in the interview in question was:

"I think they (the American team) said it's the same when they come here. Apparently that's how it is, but I can't see that."

I'd argue that is a little different from him saying he thought it was the same over here, in fact Lawrie actually said he didn't think it was, the US papers etc put their own spin on it hence that bit of all of their reports is not a quote. Not saying Lawrie is right or wrong but the US issues did kind of fib a bit about what he said. They wen't actually the ones who interviewed him which makes it a tad worse. As I said, at least they didn't claim the last bit was a quote.

You very well may be right. Actually I seen it on a couple now NBC and some Lake Erie paper. Just thought it was peculiar not on most and on a few. That could right above just haven't that one.

Actually every state and even every city has it's own identity, i.e. Boston 1999.

Like my Grandpappy said, believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see.

Originally Posted by Joakim

Quote:

I don't want to criticise a US news report at all, that was from Yahoo news I think, and was not actually what Paul Lawrie said at all. A direct quote of what Paul said in the interview in question was:

"I think they (the American team) said it's the same when they come here. Apparently that's how it is, but I can't see that."

I'd argue that is a little different from him saying he thought it was the same over here, in fact Lawrie actually said he didn't think it was, the US papers etc put their own spin on it hence that bit of all of their reports is not a quote. Not saying Lawrie is right or wrong but the US issues did kind of fib a bit about what he said. They wen't actually the ones who interviewed him which makes it a tad worse. As I said, at least they didn't claim the last bit was a quote.

You very well may be right. Actually I seen it on a couple now NBC and some Lake Erie paper. Just thought it was peculiar not on most and on a few. That could right above just haven't that one.

Actually every state and even every city has it's own identity, i.e. Boston 1999.

Like my Grandpappy said, believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see.

Good advice there.

I'm not being overly critical, our media is just as bad, just in this case they not only misrepresented what Lawrie said, he in fact said pretty much the opposite.

I lost my respect for the media at a very early age, I'm afraid. My father was shot down in the Falklands, missing in action presumed dead. When my mum had been told, we were on our way back to our house, and a reported shoved a mike in front of her and asked how it felt to have your husband killed in war. He's awfully lucky I was 8 because quite frankly if it happened when I was older the man would not be alive today. He wanted the shot of the weeping widow, I'm proud to say my mother didn't oblige. So, I'm not critical of your media, every country's media can be bloody awful sometimes, ours included.

As it happens my old man had been shot down behind enemy lines, evaded capture from our Argentinian friends for a few days out on the moors (and this was the middle of the winter down there and it's a long way south), waited till the battle passed over him and was picked up by our troops as they forced the Argentinians back. Was back flying in combat a day later (no word of a lie, have seen his log book!) and flew a few times before they found out he had fractured his spine in the ejection so was grounded and sent back to the UK. Sounds like a made up war story but really isn't. Like I said, we Brits are made of stern stuff. This is my old man, handlebar mustache and all, and this is all that was left of his jet.

Pete Iveson

Ok, just a tad off topic, but just shows your media doesn't hold the monopoly on being terrible, ours is just as bad.

Sorry to hear about your dad. Sounds like your Air Force wasn't forthright about what actually happened, ours is pretty bad in certain situations. They may have been liable for sending your dad back out there before medical evaluation. Re: our media, thrives off sensationalism but they can't stray to far as we are a very litigious nation, reason I was a little upset with Sobel article, filled with misinformation.

Got my Grandpa's WWII dog tags, he was also in the Air Force (20 years), and heard some amazing stories. He had nothing but good to say about the Brit's. Hitler was pure evil with world domination as ultimate goal. He sent spies over here years before to plan our occupation. Proud of ALL the Allies working as a team to take out a necessary evil.

Quote:
I think they (the American team) said it's the same when they come here. Apparently that's how it is, but I can't see that.

I was watching a clip of the Ryder cup in Europe the other night, and the fans clearly cheered when Hunter Mayhan flubbed an important chip.  It does happen both places.

Originally Posted by wadesworld

I was watching a clip of the Ryder cup in Europe the other night, and the fans clearly cheered when Hunter Mayhan flubbed an important chip.  It does happen both places.

Different places get different fan reactions. Frank Nobilo said he thinks US should play all their Ryders cups in places with vociferous fans such as Boston, Chicago, New York, etc.

I'm not familiar with Scotland, I wonder what the fan behavior will be for Gleneagle 2014 Ryder. Any speculation?

Britain is smaller enough and the Ryder Cup a big enough event that the fans at Gleneagles will be from all over.

Scottish fans will be like everywhere else - the full range - complete nutters to quiet and respectful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post

Quote:
I think they (the American team) said it's the same when they come here. Apparently that's how it is, but I can't see that.

Got to say I do think there's just one very small difference. I'll show two vids, the first is the incident you refer to, the second is this year.

Looking at the first, zip along to the time stamp at 7:00 minutes and watch from there. How much noise from the crowd as Hunter lines up his chip? How much cheering is there afterwards? Kind of a grone, bit of clapping, yes little bit of cheering. Excessive? Your call. Watch a bit more, how are the crowd as Hunter takes his vital putt? Quiet as church mice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2VLELR9AO0&feature;=related

Now fast forward to this Ryder cup. Sorry, you'll have to wap the sound right up, kids in bed when I was recording, wife scouling at me trying to put the sound up so my phone picks it up. I wonder if some US networks didn't show the sound but this is what it was like. How much sound can you hear as Striker lines up and takes the his putt? You could almost literally hear a pin drop. Now listen to the crowd as Kaymer lines up and takes his putt. If you truely think there's no difference between what the British crowd did AFTER Hunter fluffed his chip and the cat calls, whistling, shouting etc the whole time Kaymer was lining up his putt and while he was taking it, we'd have to agree to differ as I think there's all the difference in the world.

All of that said, during the shouting, whistling etc durring Kaymer's putt the loudest shout is an American accent telling people to be quiet - the guy must have been seriously embarrased.

Pete Iveson

I didn't realize the noise during Kaymers putt. I fear that Bubba encouraging the crowd to cheer during his first tee off may have illicited the crowd silence etiquette during play.

I didn't realize the noise during Kaymers putt. I fear that Bubba encouraging the crowd to cheer during his first tee off may have illicited the crowd silence etiquette during play.

You may be right. It's funny, an American friend I spoke to said he didn't notice all the noise during Kaymers putt either. I can't put the sound up now or my wife will lynch me but it is pretty loud. Did the US networks switch off the volume, do you think?

Pete Iveson

One other quick question, how many people were cheering at the end? ie how many Europeans were absolutely silent for Stricker? At the previous one there were a lot of Americans in the crowd too and they were silent for McD. Maybe this Ryder Cup was more open to non golf fans or something but I don't actually think it's on shouting durring someone putting - I'd be pretty surprised if any golf fans did.

Pete Iveson

Note: This thread is 4211 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!