IGNORED

Alternative putting styles

dave67az
Note: This thread is 4278 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

With all the talk about belly putters, it got me to thinking about other ways to secure the putter a little better than the traditional grip I've always used.  I even tried out a few on my carpet and was a little surprised how much better control I had over the putter.

Do any of you know if either of these methods would be illegal under current rules, or have you ever heard of anyone using either of these or anything similar?  I couldn't find anything myself.

(both descriptions are for right-handed putters...pictures will follow)

Method 1.  Kneel facing ball, left shoulder to target (just like you would normally stand).  Left hand is on grip (index finger toward top of shaft) with inside of wrist resting against left side of chest.  Right hand grips far down the club, just a few inches above putter head.

Method 2.  Normal putting stance (maybe bent over a little more).  Left hand grips club near bottom of grip with index finger alongside shaft.  Shaft above left hand runs alongside left forearm, ending just below elbow crease.  Right grips left wrist, shaft sandwiched between inside left wrist and right palm, with right thumb and fingers wrapped firmly to secure left wrist.

Method 2 is amazingly stable for me, essentially turning the entire arm into a pendulum, extending the length of the shaft all the way up the arm, hinging at the shoulder.

Thanks for any comments/input.

- Dave

2 is absolutely legal at the moment. Done by Johnny Miller way,way back(not his normal stroke but something he won one tournament with,I think) . Bernard Langer back a ways.

I think it's Kuchar who does it now. One of the interesting speculations about the probable new putting rule is if it will catch styles like this.

1 is broomhandle long putting done with a short putter and short legs. Don't know if kneeling to putt is legal. Kneeling for trouble shots is legal. I bet if it's legal now and somebody on tour started kneeling the PGA would make it illegal darn quick :)

Originally Posted by broomhandle

2 is absolutely legal at the moment. Done by Johnny Miller way,way back(not his normal stroke but something he won one tournament with,I think) . Bernard Langer back a ways.

I think it's Kuchar who does it now. One of the interesting speculations about the probable new putting rule is if it will catch styles like this.

1 is broomhandle long putting done with a short putter and short legs. Don't know if kneeling to putt is legal. Kneeling for trouble shots is legal. I bet if it's legal now and somebody on tour started kneeling the PGA would make it illegal darn quick :)

And here I thought I was being creative with #2.

I guess when you have a game that's been around for over 100 years it's hard to be original.

Thanks for the reply though.  Looking forward to anyone else's thoughts.

- Dave

Originally Posted by Johanna

Nothing in the rules says you may not kneel when putting, so you may. Have you tried standing on your head? the eye contact with the ball will be really good

Actually I considered lying down behind the ball, but I think that's illegal just as the pool-cue method and croquet method is illegal.

The main reason I thought about kneeling is because the closer your hand is to the putter head itself, the better control you'll exhibit over it.

Obviously for long putts this also removes any significant power, but for putts under 10 feet (the ones that count the most) I would think it's a serious advantage.

Having said all that, I would never use either one...it was more of a "I wonder what we'll see people trying next" kind of thing.

I kind of like golf tradition.  I'm the guy that still plays with (most of) the same set of clubs I bought in 1982.

- Dave

Note: This thread is 4278 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!