IGNORED

Sandbagging- What is Permitted?

MEfree
Note: This thread is 4204 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Which of the following do you consider to be sandbagging? (pick ALL that apply) Assume that all of the following take place when the player is NOT playing a competitive round but IS turning the round in for handicap purposes. Also assume that the player would NOT do these same things if playing in a competitive round.

• intentional 3 putt
    • going for a risky 100 to 1 shot that the player would NEVER attempt in competition
    • not bothering to read the break on a putt
    • not bothering to estimate yardage for your approach shot
    • not bothering to search for your original ball that would be possible to find and make a lower score on than your provisional
    • ignoring a change in the wind that would cause you to switch clubs in competition
    • not going back to your bag to switch clubs when you know you have the wrong one
    • all of the above
    • others- please post

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

I really don't know why people are so conscious of their handicaps. Just play your best every time out, turn in an honest score, and your handicap will work itself out. I haven't had an established handicap in a while, mainly because I haven't been able to play enough golf to warrant establishing one, and because I never play in net tournaments. I really have no interest in "beating" someone that shot a lower score than I did simply because of a formula.

You're a good enough player to support that attitude.  Most of us aren't.  The only way I could ever play a competitive match with you would be by virtue of handicapping.  Playing you straight up I would lose 10 times out of 10 unless you suffered a total collapse one round.  That might be fun for you (although I don't know why), but it certainly wouldn't be fun for me.  Part of the fun in a friendly match is haggling over who gets strokes and how many.  Although I like to believe that I play serious golf, I don't play for blood.  I play golf because it's fun, and the most fun possible is playing a truly competitive match, with a player of equivalent skill or with honestly balanced handicap strokes.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by turtleback

You might complain a bit more if you get stuck with a vanity capper in a blind draw partner event.

I was at a handicap seminar in Short Hills (USGA HQ) and somebody asked what to do about players with vanity caps. The guy running the thing said to pick the player up at home and make sure you were playing against him that day.

Bill M

Originally Posted by phan52

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtleback

You might complain a bit more if you get stuck with a vanity capper in a blind draw partner event.

I was at a handicap seminar in Short Hills (USGA HQ) and somebody asked what to do about players with vanity caps. The guy running the thing said to pick the player up at home and make sure you were playing against him that day.

Amen to that.  Just don't get paired with him for a partner or team event.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 4204 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!