IGNORED

Help me understand Rating/Slop/Handicap, my scores are always the same!

grubby98
Note: This thread is 4082 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok, first I played a lot back when I was in HS 10 years ago.  I had an index of 10-12.  I just started playing again since HS and I have my Index down to 8-9.  My question is my scores should differ when I play different courses. Right?  But my scores stay the same. The easier or harder they are, my score does not change, or I play better at the more difficult courses.  I was off this week and here are the 5 rounds I played at 5 different courses.

Rating - Slope - Par - My Score

1.  69          120     71        80

2.  69.2       127     72        79

3.  68          117     72        81

4.  73          137     72        78

5.  66.4       111     71        80

I cant see why my scores are like this.  In my mind I should shoot better on the easier and I don't, I am the opposite.  Or do I just not know how to calculate what my HC should be at each course.

Driver: :tmade: R11S (9 degree)
Woods: :tmade: R11 3 (15.5 degree) & 5 (19 degree)
Irons: :tmade: R11 4-AW
Wedges: :tmade: ATV 54 & 60 degree
Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2012 Newport 2
Ball: :titleist: ProV1
Rangefinder: :bushnell: Tour V2

Originally Posted by grubby98

Ok, first I played a lot back when I was in HS 10 years ago.  I had an index of 10-12.  I just started playing again since HS and I have my Index down to 8-9.  My question is my scores should differ when I play different courses. Right?  But my scores stay the same. The easier or harder they are, my score does not change, or I play better at the more difficult courses.  I was off this week and here are the 5 rounds I played at 5 different courses.

Rating - Slope - Par - My Score

1.  69          120     71        80

2.  69.2       127     72        79

3.  68          117     72        81

4.  73          137     72        78

5.  66.4       111     71        80

I cant see why my scores are like this.  In my mind I should shoot better on the easier and I don't, I am the opposite.  Or do I just not know how to calculate what my HC should be at each course.

with the exception of score #4, it does not look like you are a single digit handicapper, then again we have to see your other 15 to make a real judgement

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well score 1 is my home course and I shoot anywhere from 75-81 consistently there ( my worst score since December is 83 and best is 72).  I was wondering if my home course should be re-evaluated or that score 4 is rated to high.  But that course is tough, has sand everywhere and some long holes.  I do hit the ball a good distance, driver 280, 7i 170. So does length make the course rank harder?  My home course is very tight, some fairways barely 15 yards wide with widest maybe 25 yards and lined with lots of trees.  The difficult course is basically wide open except for the bunkers.

Well score 1 is my home course and I shoot anywhere from 75-81 consistently there ( my worst score since December is 83 and best is 72).  I was wondering if my home course should be re-evaluated or that score 4 is rated to high.  But that course is tough, has sand everywhere and some long holes.  I do hit the ball a good distance, driver 280, 7i 170. So does length make the course rank harder?  My home course is very tight, some fairways barely 15 yards wide with widest maybe 25 yards and lined with lots of trees.  The difficult course is basically wide open except for the bunkers.

All of those things are factored into a course rating/slope. I've never played a course rated 66.4 with a slope of 111. Can you share the name of this GC?

Those CR and slopes are all similarly easy courses.  The only course that stands out is #4, and you obviously played your best on that day.   Basing a trend on 5 scores is fruitless........

Go and play 20 rounds on the course with a 73CR and 20 rounds on the course with a 69CR and you'll probably see a difference....by about 4 strokes over the long haul.

Course familiarity make a big difference in the results too......

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

yea its the Gambit Golf Course.  I went and played with the morning senior guys (was invited by a guy at my church).  They play the white tees.  Its very short around 5500 yards.  My short game killed me that day, could of easily shot around par. When I normally play with my regular group when we go playthere, we go from the blacks and its rated 72 slope  at 6700 yards.  Could there really be that much of a difference in the rating from one set of tee boxes? I know my short game is what kills me.

Which course is the Gambit course?   I'm not really sure what you are talking about.  LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

it was the course score 5 came from myrtlebeachgolf asked.  I guess my question now since thinking about it is how do they get the rating and slope of a golf course.  Why are 2 tee sets at same course so different?  How often do they have to recheck the course ratings?  It seems some courses I play I think are way harder than others, but according to the rating and slope they are suppose to be easier.

thank you for that link myrtlebeachgolf.  I understand it now.  I wanted to get down to scratch over the next few years, but according to that I will need to be shooting the ratings of the course, and with my local tracks all rated under par I have a tall task ahead.  Thank god for 12 hour work days and only 3 days of work a week.  I will have to def get my short game going.

thank you for that link myrtlebeachgolf.  I understand it now.  I wanted to get down to scratch over the next few years, but according to that I will need to be shooting the ratings of the course, and with my local tracks all rated under par I have a tall task ahead.  Thank god for 12 hour work days and only 3 days of work a week.  I will have to def get my short game going.

No problem. Even though the article isn't overly technical, it gives a pretty good explanation of how both rating and slope are determined.

Maybe you suck at hitting wedges?  I know I do.  I've got as good a chance from 175 as I do from 75 most days; as a result, I tend to prefer playing matches on longer, harder courses (which are consequently rated harder).

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

k-troop you are right.  I have improved a lot over the last few months.  I have went to 3/4 choked down swing and take 1 club longer.  But yes I seem to get it closer from 135-175 then I can from 100 in.  Def ready for summer to practice, because when I'm one with my wedges, I can shoot close to par.

Note: This thread is 4082 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!