IGNORED

anyone change their swing up mid-game?

grathan
Note: This thread is 4026 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by dak4n6

Um, I'm 53 and I almost always walk 18, and my back 9s are usually my better half. There's no way that you're swinging so hard for 3 holes that you have to back off to finish up 9? Well I'll play along..I'm gonna hit the common sense button here and recommend you get in better physical shape and stop trying to hit the ball so hard.

And OP is like 30, not 53. No way he should be tired after 18 holes.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Thanks for the replies. I think there is some point of diminishing returns(fun) when challenging oneself, but also at the other end when becoming too consistent? If you become a machine you can never go back is what I fear.

Being so good it's not fun? If you get that good let me know, I'll copy whatever you're doing and hit the Tour.

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

Originally Posted by grathan

Thanks for the replies.

I think there is some point of diminishing returns(fun) when challenging oneself, but also at the other end when becoming too consistent? If you become a machine you can never go back is what I fear.

Let the pros know when you figure out the secret to becoming "a machine" that's "too consistent".  I saw a number of the best golfers in the world make errant shots today in the Masters which cost them strokes.  Ask Rickie Fowler if he felt like a "consistent machine" after carding a triple bogey.

And I agree with the others' advice that a fitness program of some sort would probably do you well.  At 30 years old, unless you have medical issues of some sort, it's unusual for a person to be worn out after 7 holes of golf.  The fatigue/exhaustion may very well be playing a significant role in your inconsistency.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It sounds as if I am more tired on the course than most. It sounds as if you guys don't suffer effects from over-swinging at all. Thanks.

Do any of you happen to work swing shift? I think perhaps my work schedule is effecting my game.

It sounds as if I am more tired on the course than most. It sounds as if you guys don't suffer effects from over-swinging at all. Thanks.

Do any of you happen to work swing shift? I think perhaps my work schedule is effecting my game.

More than likely its poor diet and lack of exercise.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

More than likely because you understand the effects of staying up all night or are you more of a nutritional expert? I eat a pretty good mix of stuff, most of it relatively healthy. I make a point to get exercise, I ride a bicycle to work, my job is pretty physical and I work 60 hours a week. I ski often in the winter months to stay active. Also hit the treadmill if the winter pounds creep up.

I am a nutritionist and Kinesiologist, and I work with university hockey players, responsible for all of their dryland training, diets, and strength training. A lack of endurance should not come from working swing shifts, as long as you are getting good REM sleep. I would say that your diet is out of whack, you are probably eating meals at night a lot, instead of eating healthy, low carb snacks, and eating meals at the normal times. (Breakfast when you get home after nights, lunch when you get up, then a snack and dinner before you go in to work. You should easily be able to get through the night with healthy snacks like Jerky, nuts, and other healthy alternatives.

If you are out of energy by the 7th hole, its certainly a fitness and nutrition problem. That, or a serious, undiagnosed medical condition. If you truly do all the things you say, I would be getting a very good checkup. There is nothing normal about what you are describing. Nine holes should be a warm-up for a young man of thirty.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Thanks, I probably won't eat then go right to bed, wake up 4 hours later just to eat lunch, and then back to bed to sleep until dinnertime just so I can snack on peanuts while I work 12 hours. I seem to sleep even worse after eating and need at least 1 decent meal to keep energy up while at work.

I've been thinking about this some more. Perhaps it's not fatigue, but perhaps when the muscles stretch it becomes harder to "feel" them unless a hard swing is taken?  Perhaps taking even harder swings stretches the muscles out yet even more, making it harder to gauge an accurate swing?

Thanks, I probably won't eat then go right to bed, wake up 4 hours later just to eat lunch, and then back to bed to sleep until dinnertime just so I can snack on peanuts while I work 12 hours. I seem to sleep even worse after eating and need at least 1 decent meal to keep energy up while at work.

I've been thinking about this some more. Perhaps it's not fatigue, but perhaps when the muscles stretch it becomes harder to "feel" them unless a hard swing is taken?  Perhaps taking even harder swings stretches the muscles out yet even more, making it harder to gauge an accurate swing?

I don't think Apoc was trying to be condescending, just helpful.

I am 32 years old and I hate playing only 9 holes.  Twilight at my home course starts at 4 o'clock.  In the summer if I start right at 4 I can get in 45 holes with a cart, and 27 walking.  I have walked 36 straight before. ( I was tired at the end of that)

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks, I probably won't eat then go right to bed, wake up 4 hours later just to eat lunch, and then back to bed to sleep until dinnertime just so I can snack on peanuts while I work 12 hours. I seem to sleep even worse after eating and need at least 1 decent meal to keep energy up while at work. I've been thinking about this some more. Perhaps it's not fatigue, but perhaps when the muscles stretch it becomes harder to "feel" them unless a hard swing is taken?  Perhaps taking even harder swings stretches the muscles out yet even more, making it harder to gauge an accurate swing?

No need to be rude to someone trying to help. he said nothing about getting up after four hours to eat lunch anyway. If you're working nights, the standard eating times for you would obviously change. No one is saying get up after fours hours so you can eat lunch right at 12 or anything silly like that. I'm pretty sure the nutritionist knows a bit more about this than you do, so try and accept help.

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

Sorry, I do not mean to seem short. I have eaten before going to bed before. I seem to reach deeper REM sleep having eaten at least 4 hours prior to sleeping. I don't mean just a single time of trying this. I have eaten before going to bed many times. It doesn't turn out well. I am not willing to try this anymore.

While I have never woken up to eat and then gone back to bed I suppose I could try it I guess. Seems kinda weird. I have always feared too much activity after waking prematurely during daylight hours would hamper an ability to fall asleep again.  Perhaps if I fix the meal before resting so all I have to do is eat after the alarm goes off and then rush back to bed after eating. Will post back thoughts on this when midnight shift comes around again in 2 weeks.

I do wish to explore the topic of muscle stretching and golf more. Perhaps it would be better to start a new topic thread though.

Note: This thread is 4026 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!