IGNORED

Best course you've ever played?

fgsurfcast
Note: This thread is 3976 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

TPC Twin Cities, beautiful course.

-- In the Bag --

Cobra S3 White Driver (10.5*)

Cobra AMP Cell-S 3-Hybrid (18*)

Cobra AMP Cell-S Irons (4i-GW)

SCOR 4161 Forged Wedge (55*)

Cleveland VP1 Putter

I gotta say I was blown away by Streamsong Resort south of Lakeland, Fl. Brand new Coore/Crenshaw design on an old phosphate mine. I wrote a review -

http://thesandtrap.com/t/60459/streamsong-resort/36#post_803161

I don't know if it's the "best" course I ever played, as Firestone or Harbour Town would likely get that honor, but it was by far the most unique, memorable course I've ever played.

The guys at Firestone (WGC Bridgestone in Akron, OH) are amazing, if you're lucky enough to get on it. It'll be interesting to see if Arcadia Bluffs in MI is comparable.

Thanks for the 'warning.'  Bethpage would beat me silly, then!  Having played Firestone's South course here's my story:

Hole #1 ~360 yards from member tees.  Drive (3-wood) went right down the middle.  Didn't even have to watch it--it was that straight.  Drive out to ball.  No ball on fairway.  It had rolled right and into 4" deep rough.  The only way I found it was looking straight down at it.  From 140 from the green, I took a 6-iron, a steep swing and hacked through the rough.  Moved the ball about a foot!

Guy playing with me quietly advises a wedge from there back into play.  Got it out, laying 3 and about 80 yards from green.  Hit SW to middle of green.  It released, went OVER the green and down a steep bank.  Chipped back onto the pool table fast green ... off ... and down into the bunker guarding the front of the green.  Blasted out and somehow kept it on the green.  Two putts later walk off #1 with a snowman.

Overmatched?  You bet.  My first par was the par-5 #16 'green monster.'  When it was finally over, I'd shot well into the triple-digit category of 'hack.'  Counted 'em all, too.  Had some lost balls in the roughs, didn't make a couple of fairways off the tees and 3-putted a bunch of greens due to the incredible speed of them.

Skill level not even close to matching up with course difficulty.  I'd likely shoot 120 on Bethpage as well.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So far my favorite course is still Brookside Country Club. Its old money, Donald Ross course, old country club style. Not to long, fair course, the greens will eat you alive. I've been lucky because my mom helps runs a golf outing there the past 4 years. So i've been able to play there every year. Its the highlight of my year with golf.

I've played TPC sawgrass and Firestone North. There both amazing golf courses. My dad has played both Firestone North & South, and he would play the North course over the south. Its just more enjoyable to play. The south is cool because of the Tournament played there, but its not really that special of a course. TPC is just special, but it wasn't memorable except for holes 1, 4, 8, 16, 17, 18. The rest was really very forgettable. I was shocked when i couldn't recognize the holes on TV this year. Don't know if that is a good thing or bad thing. It was an absolute great experience to play. If you go, get a caddie. First they require cart path only year round, second when you have a caddie its just awesome to walk the same walk as the pro's do, in similar style.

If Firestone South is playing that rough 4" and you can't find your ball, that's BS golf right there. Number 1, you shouldn't be loosing golf balls right off the fairway, that's absurd. If Firestone South wants to be that anal about there mystic on the course, it being tight, high rough, then i will call it a crap course forever then. Number 1 for me is, is the course playable. I don't mind high rough, i mind it when you can't find a fricken golf ball. We don't have fricken spotters out there with little flags to mark our tee shots.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by saevel25

So far my favorite course is still Brookside Country Club. Its old money, Donald Ross course, old country club style. Not to long, fair course, the greens will eat you alive. I've been lucky because my mom helps runs a golf outing there the past 4 years. So i've been able to play there every year. Its the highlight of my year with golf.

I've played TPC sawgrass and Firestone North. There both amazing golf courses. My dad has played both Firestone North & South, and he would play the North course over the south. Its just more enjoyable to play. The south is cool because of the Tournament played there, but its not really that special of a course. TPC is just special, but it wasn't memorable except for holes 1, 4, 8, 16, 17, 18. The rest was really very forgettable. I was shocked when i couldn't recognize the holes on TV this year. Don't know if that is a good thing or bad thing. It was an absolute great experience to play. If you go, get a caddie. First they require cart path only year round, second when you have a caddie its just awesome to walk the same walk as the pro's do, in similar style.

If Firestone South is playing that rough 4" and you can't find your ball, that's BS golf right there. Number 1, you shouldn't be loosing golf balls right off the fairway, that's absurd. If Firestone South wants to be that anal about there mystic on the course, it being tight, high rough, then i will call it a crap course forever then. Number 1 for me is, is the course playable. I don't mind high rough, i mind it when you can't find a fricken golf ball. We don't have fricken spotters out there with little flags to mark our tee shots.

I had two instances where I played a provisional ball for the hell of it, or took a drop near the area where I thought I lost my ball as we were playing a casual business round.

After playing the ball, I noticed my ball laying literally 3-5 feet in front of where we already searched and where I played my last shot. The course is definitely annoyingly thick and high if you miss the fairway.

Note: This thread is 3976 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!