IGNORED

Hitting 3 wood downwind.

Note: This thread is 3964 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For a downwind shot is it better to hit a 3 wood? It seems like downwind a solid 3 wood goes nearly as far as my driver---unless I really nut the driver and hit it in the sweet spot perfectly.  Is it better to impart more backspin (with the woods) when hitting downwind and therefore taking advantage of the wind? It seems like a draw with a lower spin rate would not be able to take advantage of the wind.  Or is someone going to tell me that none of this backspin/draw/fade stuff matters anymore because of the new ball flight laws?  Based on the new design of golfballs? And that they're not exactly made out of balata anymore.

Driver: Taylormade Superfast 2.0.  9.5 Stiff Reax 4.8

3 Wood: Taylormade Superfast 2.0 Loft 15 Stiff  Reax 4.8

Irons: Mizuno MP-64 4 iron. MP-69, 5-PW, DG S-300 Shafts. 

Wedges: Mizuno MP T-11, 50 (gap) and 56 (sand).   

Putter: Odyssey Two Ball putter (circa 2004) 

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Downwind shots will have less spin on the ball, because the wind resists backspin rotation. A 3 wood will have more backspin, so it will stay in the air longer. I bet what your seeing is the driver go low and come out of the air faster, while the 3 wood stays in the air longer. So, 3 wood could go longer, especially for Amateurs since they depend more on backspin to maintain the ball in the air longer to maximize distance.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by saevel25

Downwind shots will have less spin on the ball, because the wind resists backspin rotation. A 3 wood will have more backspin, so it will stay in the air longer. I bet what your seeing is the driver go low and come out of the air faster, while the 3 wood stays in the air longer. So, 3 wood could go longer, especially for Amateurs since they depend more on backspin to maintain the ball in the air longer to maximize distance.

Yeah, at my local course (6,800 yards) it's usually pretty windy---usually a 15-20 mph easterly seabreeze. I need driver for hitting into the wind. But downwind it seems like three wood is the club. I suppose PGA Tour players impart less spin on their drives because they attack from the inside on a more shallow (perfectly on) plane.  In to square to in. Most amateurs are "over the top" outside- to- in arm swingers (not utilizing their lower bodies)  with a very steep angle of attack----a la high spin rates etc. The tour players and long hitting amateurs are hitting the ball mostly "out" instead of "up."

Driver: Taylormade Superfast 2.0.  9.5 Stiff Reax 4.8

3 Wood: Taylormade Superfast 2.0 Loft 15 Stiff  Reax 4.8

Irons: Mizuno MP-64 4 iron. MP-69, 5-PW, DG S-300 Shafts. 

Wedges: Mizuno MP T-11, 50 (gap) and 56 (sand).   

Putter: Odyssey Two Ball putter (circa 2004) 

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Whichever one gets more carry is probably the best option, since it will roll a lot regardless. Many amateurs don't carry their driver farther than a well struck 3w, especially if they don't hit up on the driver. If your driver flight is more optimized, with high launch and low spin, then it depends on the strength of the wind. If there's a lot of wind and you hit a knuckle ball with the driver, it will sometimes roll until it hits trouble, where a 3w will stay on line better because of the spin. Don't get greedy. And keep the approach shot in mind, since anything over a short iron will probably have a hard time stopping with a tailwind, especially out of the rough.

If you can control the ball well enough, try to land it somewhere flat because a slight slope can take the life out of a ball, or kick it dead sideways. I like to always be a bit defensive in the wind and try to control the ball tightly, because I hit a very high ball. It may be fun to hit the longest drive of your life, but it's a lot more fun not to lose a ball.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3964 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!