IGNORED

Need to split up the purchase of a new set of Irons, which clubs should i get first?

Note: This thread is 3951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm looking to get fitted for a new set of Mizuno JPX 825 or 825 Pros as I have been playing with my Taylormade 360XD irons for a few months after taking a hiatus from golf. I've gotten MUCH better with ball striking to where I expect to hit a decent shot nearly every time. I think that a new set of custom fitted clubs will do me well at this point, but I can't afford to shell out for the full set at once. I was given a good deal on club pricing and I think I can do 4-5 clubs now and get the rest of the set next month. I was thinking of starting with 5-9, then come back for the wedges and decide whether I want to get the 4-iron or not(consistency is most important right now and I like my new hybrid 22 RBZ). Thoughts?

Before I took a break for a few years I shot about 115 a round. Now I'm sitting in the low 90s after 3 months. So much help out there on YouTube.

Are they going to let you buy only a partial set? Is the total cost the same regardless of how many irons you buy at a time?

Generally buying single irons (or less than a set) is significantly more expensive per iron than purchasing the whole set.

If you can buy a set of 6 irons for 600, or three at a time for 100 each, then no reason not to go that route.

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Luckbox63

I was quoted at $75 per club for the 825's and $90 per club for the 825 Pros at my local pro shop with fitting. So I can purchase the set in any number of clubs at one time.

Interesting. In that case, as long as all the clubs have the same setup (loft, lie, shaft, etc), then I'm not sure why you couldn't get them piecemeal.

Tyler Martin

I would figure out which clubs you hit a majority of the time and buy those first.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Yeah, +1 for the lower clubs first. I think you get more shots for your money that way... especially if you're the type of golfer you say you are.

taylormade.gif Burner Superfast 1.0: 10.5* Driver, 15* 3-wood

adams.gif a5OS Hybrid/Irons Set: 3h-5h, 6-PW

adams.gif "Tom Watson Classic" Wedges: 52*, 56*, 60*
taylormade.gif Est 79 TM-770 Putter, "Fontana" Pattern

xFIXx

Go 6-PW It will give you a good idea of whether you can hit 5i or lower, or whether you should go hybrid In the lower irons

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your advice. I decided on getting the full set of 4-GW, and I was able to work out a deal with my shop that I can purchase 5 of the clubs to start out and put a deposit on the other clubs in the set. The reasoning behind this is so I don't have to pay additional shipping for the other clubs. They will just hold them until I can afford to not break the bank.

Note: This thread is 3951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!