IGNORED

My Swing (blaylock6502)

blaylock6502
Note: This thread is 3890 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Originally Posted by IvanSanders

I never made such a claim. I gave elementary swing advice to a regular golfer. We fundamentally disagree on a very basic point, namely weight transfer. You spoke about the techniques of tour players being fundamentally different yet everything I said has already been said countless times over by tour players in their publications.

Therein lies your problem.

You're relying on what they've SAID. I'm relying on the facts of what they DO, as measured scientifically. ALL professional golfers shift their pressure to the trail foot (most shift their weight slightly as well - but it's relatively little - 55-65%). Pressure is not weight, and we have quite a few threads on this topic, so I'm not going to rehash them here. There is years worth of stuff to peruse on this topic if you're interested.

I'm generally not interested in what pros SAY they do in the golf swing, but am quite interested in what they ACTUALLY do.

Originally Posted by IvanSanders

Long drive competitors do not have a different swing either because of their head lofts or swing speed. How could either change swing fundamentals? They do however tend to have longer backswings in order to create more acceleration room.  And perhaps generally wider stances. That, together with s.s. makes control more difficult. But the remaining 99% of the golf swing remains exactly the same as for everyone else.  Swing fundamentals remain true for everyone.

I disagree, and the several long drive guys I've talked to disagree too.

To keep it short and simple, the single biggest difference (aside from the whole maximizing distance with only a small concern for accuracy) is that golf is not played entirely from the tee. In golf, unlike in long drive competitions, your low point is forward of the golf ball most of the time.

Blaylock - go here: http://purestrike5sk.com/ . Read up. Watch some of the videos.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I got a lot of good pointers from my coach like start with weight transfer once you feel the transer bring right elbow into your side and keep end of club pointed at ball and maintain wrist flex until very last but im really having trouble slowing my swing down and being able to concentrate on all of these things at once.? Would it be advisable to break swing into parts and work on one aspect at a time? If so how would you break it up? Thanks!

Update!: I feel like things are starting to come around and starting to feel more natural. My concern at this point is that the coach I have dealt with wants me to build an insane amount of lag and it has been very difficult and very inconsistent when I concentrate on the lag. I looked up some videos on creating lag and it warned on the dangers of doing so especially for a beginner. What is your take on this? Thanks in advance.

That is not something I even worry about.  My feeling is that it will occur naturally if you are doing everything else right. The things I work on more are position at the top, staying on plane, extension at and right after impact, elbow position. I do not even know if I have what would be considered the right amount of lag as nobody has ever commented on my videos (except briefly the first one when I was only trying out for camera angle).  To me, the last two videos of mine, look fairly decent, but then again, I am not schooled enough on what to look for I suppose.  I do know, that my game is improving.  I rarely even ask for free advice, because that is usually the value of it.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Blaylock6502,

The one thing I wanted to point out is the different between where your club is during the mid way point in your take away as compared to the plane.  You are basically taking it back around your body a lot more than Rory for example.  In my experience, because this is one of the things that I am working on fixing this promotes an outside to in golf swing.  The reason in my opinion is because you try and overcompensate with your arms to bring them back into plane on the way down, and thus you end up over using them in the beginning of your swing.  I might be inaccurate in my analysis, but this is what I am currently experiencing.  There are two thoughts that are really starting to take over now in my own swing.  The first one is make sure that the club in this halfway position is pointing towards the ball or behind the ball like Rory's is right now, and the second is shifting my weight back to the right foot and through to the front foot on the way down.  I can tell you from my experience that when the club is inside the ball like Rory's is that when you are coming down you don't have as much trouble clearing out your left side, and thus you are more able to come from the inside rather than that over compensation causing you to come around your body with your hands.  Take a look at the picture and let us discuss some more.

Abu3baid

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Dear Blaylock6502, The one thing I wanted to point out is the different between where your club is during the mid way point in your take away as compared to the plane.  You are basically taking it back around your body a lot more than Rory for example.  In my experience, because this is one of the things that I am working on fixing this promotes an outside to in golf swing.  The reason in my opinion is because you try and overcompensate with your arms to bring them back into plane on the way down, and thus you end up over using them in the beginning of your swing.  I might be inaccurate in my analysis, but this is what I am currently experiencing.  There are two thoughts that are really starting to take over now in my own swing.  The first one is make sure that the club in this halfway position is pointing towards the ball or behind the ball like Rory's is right now, and the second is shifting my weight back to the right foot and through to the front foot on the way down.  I can tell you from my experience that when the club is inside the ball like Rory's is that when you are coming down you don't have as much trouble clearing out your left side, and thus you are more able to come from the inside rather than that over compensation causing you to come around your body with your hands.  Take a look at the picture and let us discuss some more. Abu3baid [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/81910/] [/URL]

That makes a lot of sense to me! One of the reasons it does is because I know my iron swing is much more vertical and this is probably why I have such trouble with transition from driver to irons.? They are two different swings. I think I am subconciously trying to male up for the driver being so much longer. Thank you!

I just wanted to also mention a great drill that I use to help me and give me instant feedback as well.

Using your driver!

Stand with your back about 1 foot from the wall, then start your take away until you get to your halfway position as in the picture.  If your club hits the wall then you are taking it far way too flat, work on getting back to the halfway point without hitting the wall with the club head.

After that take the club all the way back to the top of the back swing and your club head should not have touched the wall at all up to this point.  If at any point your club touches the wall then you are doing something wrong.  Once you are able to get to the top of the back swing without touching the wall then you have done well.

Finally, the downswing.  You might have guessed.  If you drop your hands and you push your hips out and turn correctly then the club head should not touch the wall. If the club head touches the wall then you are either casting or most likely coming over the top.

You don't need to take a full swing during this whole exercise.  This is just meant to be a way for you to get instant feedback on what you are doing and if you are doing it correctly.. Please try and let me know what kind of feedback you are getting from the wall.  Who would have thought, a wall teaching us how to play golf?

Regards,

Abu3baid

p.s. I just found this.  It's a bit more than what I am saying to do, but it's pretty much the same idea.  For me, I just use it as a feedback, but what he is suggesting will probably work even more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw5zapFf11o

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Thanks abu3baid! I just had my first lesson with my new coach and it was awesome! Rather than try to modify my swing we started completely over which we both agreed was probably the best approach. We started from the very beginning went through grip approach backswing downswing and finish. He basically said the same thing as you but had me get in my apparoach stance with no club stood to my right facing the same direction and had me turn and shake his hand wich to me is essentially the same thing you are saying. In 45 minute ball flight was much straighter and swinging alot easier I would guess I had somewhere around a 25 percent increase in distance!! I am going to try and upload some new video soon to see what you guys think! Thanks again!

Note: This thread is 3890 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!