IGNORED

Advanced irons

iHack
Note: This thread is 3922 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Mulligan Jeff

What will a lower ball flight give you - I see a number of PGA pros outfitted with cavity back gi irons.

Shot would be less affected by wind. Other than that, I just don't like the super high ball flight.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Mulligan Jeff

I see your point. Can a clubmaker bend the hosel for one or two degrees stronger loft?

Then they'd go even further and that would be bad considering 9i already goes over 150 most of the time for me.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

iHack, what an iron change would do depends on you and your goals, and how you maintain your 11 handicap. You are probably making decent contact most of the time. If you switch to the MP 59, your scoring may suffer a bit, at least initially. You will need to use a half club to a club more on a given shot -on the average- due to the difference in lofts, but of course this depends also on the shaft length and type. The MP-59's are advertised as having some forgiveness, so the change would not be like going to a pure blade like the MP-69. Still, at least initially, you would expect to hit a couple or so less greens per round. If you already achieve you handicap by being good at up and ins, it may not change your score that much. I wouldn't say that less forgiving clubs encourage a more precise swing, I would say they require it. If you take the time to develop your swing so that the results of your swings with the MP-59's are as consistently good as with your JPX's, then YOU will have made yourself more precise, not the clubs. Pros play what they play for 2 reasons, they believe they can score their best with a given club, and because someone pays them to play it. If they couldn't score with it, they wouldn't play it, but if someone paid them more between 2 equal clubs, which would they choose? For most of us with a double digit handicap, our scores will be better with more forgiveness rather than less. But score is not everything to all of us, and on the back seat of my truck is a set of blades and persimmon that I will use this afternoon-not because I need them or think I will score better, but because I enjoy them.
  • Upvote 2

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

I'm not trying to be a smart a*#. But as a 20 handicap, how often do you get that "blade feel?"

Your irons seem more than just unforgiving. They look like you'd better hit that pea sized sweet spot of forget about it. If you are playing to a 20 with those MS-801's, I'll bet you drop to a 15 after ten rounds with the JPX Pros.

As the good book says... we all could use a little forgiveness.

cosign rusty

Note: This thread is 3922 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!