IGNORED

Rough or Fairway.. hm?

lhshurdl3r
Note: This thread is 6133 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I use to feel the same way about 2-3 years ago when I first started playing. But as my swing has improved a little and I'm hitting more down and through the ball now, fairway is the obvious answer.

I'm guessing you have a scooping motion, which is what I had.....this made it easier to hit from the rough, more room for error underneath the ball. Once I got over it I started to hate the rough and still do!!

Plus, my handicap dropped about 10 strokes within 1.5 years when I ditched that scooping motion. I would listen to the low handicappers, they prefer fairway for obvious reasons and we should too, if we don't then something is wrong.

Thinking about the shots that I take when I golf.. I honestly think that I prefer taking iron shots (especially short irons) out of the rough. Anybody else feel this way?

You've got to be joking old son. I'd prefer to role in stinging nettles than hit from the rough.

Taylormade r7 460
Callaway X 3 Wood
Callaway X 5 Wood
Callaway X 7 Wood
Callaway X Hybrid (24*)TaylorMade r7 Irons (5-PW)Mizuno MP-R Series Wedges (52,58 degrees)Ping G2 Anser Putter

• Administrator
Here's how I see it:

The better player will always prefer to hit from the fairway, because the better player cares about control.

The higher handicapper may like playing from the first cut or some light rough because they can technically hit the ball a touch fat (and catch it high on the clubface). A ball sitting up a little in the rough is almost like it's on a tee and has a larger margin of error.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 6133 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!