IGNORED

Questions about getting fitted

Note: This thread is 6135 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When you get fitted for clubs, what do they do exactly? Is is specific to one type or line of clubs, or is it generic and applicable to any clubs?

After you get fitted, say you want to buy some new irons based on your fitting. Do you have to custom order them, or can you take a stock set of irons of the shelf and then adjust them? If they have to be custom ordered, does this cost more than the same set of clubs off the shelf?

Thanks

In my Bag: (Sun Mountain C-130 '07)

Driver: X460 11°
5W: Big Bertha Ti '05
4h: Fusion FT 23°5i-GW: Big Bertha '04SW: CG11 56° Putter: G5i Anser

It depends on where you are getting fitted and the technology they have available. If they don't have a launch monitor they will basically have you hit several balls on a plastic board with a peice of contact tape on the sole of the iron, this determines the lie needed for your custom clubs. They will also measure the distance from your wrist to floor to determine club length.

Most stores have small widgets that determine clubhead speed and carry distance. This will help determine the correct shaft for you. If they have a launch monitor even better... they are more accurate than the small speed meters.

If your specs for club length come in as standard a customization could be done right off the wall. If the clubs you are looking are forged they can be bent as many times as you want right in the store, if they have the equipment neccessary. Some cast irons can be bent once or twice, some many times but that depends on the manufacturer. Some cast clubs may have to be ordered custom directly from the manufacturer to get the correct lie.

As for cost, they should be same if you stick to stock specs. You can order different shafts and different grips for an upcharge. You may also have to add a small shipping charge onto the order, depending on your stores policy.

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

I would suggest you go talk to a pro and get some lessons before getting fitted for clubs if you haven't already. Having an improper swing could affect the fitting.

For me, I was hitting with the club very upright at impact, resulting in the toe of the club impacting the ground. After taking a couple of lessons I stopped doing that. If I had been fitted for clubs before the lessons I would have ended up with clubs that would have needed to be bent and a lot more upright. After my pro worked with me for a couple of lessons I wound up needing a standard lie angle.

Also, go to your local golf shops and ask if they have demo clubs you can check out to hit. I found this very helpful, especially with the driver. Don't be afraid to go out and play 9 or 18 with a demo club to see how you like it.

Good luck! I just went through the process, learned a lot, and am loving my new clubs.
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 6135 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!