IGNORED

Ryder Cup and the Tiger Effect

GolfFanatic
Note: This thread is 3850 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I hear a lot of talk on xm radio PGA Tour about the performance or lack thereof of the US Ryder Cup team.

My question is - Does anyone else think that Tiger and my perceived impression that he is not exactly a "TEAM" player is having a negative impact on our Ryder Cup Teams?  I mean you have to play him being so highly rated but could he be causing a rift in the locker room or in the team dynamic.  His record is mediocre at best in the event.  It seems that Steve Stricker is the only one that wants to play with him or that's the impression the media gives.

Is it just a coincedence that the team has done so poorly in the Tiger era, when he should be dominating the event? Shouldn't he alone be worth 4 points every other year.

Just saying!

Its not just Tiger. Its Phil too. He has horrible record in the Ryder Cup.

Who knows why, its weird though, they should be kicking Euros ass.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Aside from his not playing well, I don't think Tiger has any effect on the rest of the team. Europe has been playing with a chip on their collective shoulder for a while now, and it seems like the US thinks it can show up and take home the cup. Eventually, the US will get pissed off and get a chip on their shoulder and the tables will turn. It's all very cyclical.

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't even understand what "not a team player" - in the golf sense - even means.  It's not like other sports where you can get caught up in personal acheivement to the detriment of the team; trying to hit home runs when you should be bunting, shooting 3-pointers when you should be passing, or throwing up hail marys when you should be handing it off.  Those are the type of actions that makes somebody in a team sport "not a team player."  But, what exactly, would make somebody not a team player in golf?  Hitting bad shots on purpose?  I don't get it.

Tiger Woods certainly has not played well at the Ryder Cup, historically, but I don't think it's for lack of putting the team above himself.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I don't even understand what "not a team player" - in the golf sense - even means.

I agree. Maybe the better question would be: "Are Tiger's attitude and off-course drama distractions for the team?"

I still think the answer is, and should be, no. These are professionals.

Tyler Martin

The Tigers "dis-likers" will be here soon and say he shouldn't even be on the team because his swearing and flashy shoes are a detriment to the sprit of blah blah blah.............

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

RYDER CUP EXPERIENCE
Years Played: 1997-99-2002-04-06-10
Total Matches: 29
Career Ryder Cup Record (W-L-H): 13-14-2
Singles (W-L-H): 4-1-1
Foursomes (W-L-H): 4-7-1
Fourballs (W-L-H): 5-6-0
Total Points Won: 14
Total Points Won Point %: .48

Looks like the Captains fault to me.

This doesn't include 2012 though where he went 0-3-1

Tiger has a pretty good singles record. 4-1-2, I think and last year really shouldn't count as a half because the dang thing was finished while he was standing in the fairway. He had quit by that point. Tiger is pretty awful in the two man events. Foursomes particularly. I actually think that the captain has to have the balls to leave him out in the first two days. Have him play fourball but sit during foursomes. Any captain is scared to death because sitting Tiger will get them trashed in the press. I also think Tiger views the post season meaning after the PGA tour season as a chance to work on his game so he might not be as sharp as for a major. Phil might fall into this category as well.

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

I hear all the talking heads saying that Europe eats together, hangs out together, drinks together, etc. and they create some good commaraderie.

When they talk about Tiger it's like they have to pick Stricker cause he's the only one that wants to play with him and I also think he is pretty stand-offish.

All I know is what I hear thru the media.

i agree with the captains comments.  If he was not played the media would have a conniption (sp) fit because it would hurt their ratings.

To Ron the Savage,

Tiger's shoes are far from flashy.  Looks like one of the old guys in Florida wearing walking shoes - LOL

Those red and black ones are pretty sweet. If I was willing to pay $200 on golf shoes I would definitely get them.

I hear all the talking heads saying that Europe eats together, hangs out together, drinks together, etc. and they create some good commaraderie.

When they talk about Tiger it's like they have to pick Stricker cause he's the only one that wants to play with him and I also think he is pretty stand-offish.

All I know is what I hear thru the media.

i agree with the captains comments.  If he was not played the media would have a conniption (sp) fit because it would hurt their ratings.

Hmmm, is that so? Any sources?

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

I agree that the ryder cup is more a european thing.

Why would the US care much for an exhibition ? You have the PGA tour ! They just respond present for a possible arangement between the tour, media and sporsors.

Two things here from a European angle Tiger- This man is probably the most driven individual in any sport period or right up there with the greats. Part of Tiger is that he isn't necessarily a bad guy he's an introspective person. He's doesn't seem to be a person who would stand up and galvanise a team and Phil is so laid back he probably isn't a born leader either and really they are the players the US needs to drum up and inspire a team Seve- You cannot underestimate this mans presence on the Europeans. It still is a massive source of inspiration to European golfers. Seve was naturally passionate and an authority who lead others and wasn't afraid to be vocal to anyone. My guess is when the current generation of golfers has retired and young Europeans who have never met or played with him the Seve effect will diminish in time. It has too because these things work in cycles.

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

Note: This thread is 3850 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!