IGNORED

Gap Wedge Recommendations

Note: This thread is 3863 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In the market for a Gap Wedge and just wanted to gauge opinions on what would be the best option.

My current iron set includes: PW (43 degrees) SW (55 degrees) and a LW/SW (58 degrees). I tend to use my 58 degree most of the time instead of my SW as I find it much easier to hit, both out of bunkers and on the fairway.

Looking for something in-between my PW and LW really and just wanted to see what people recommend. Something easy to hit from around 80-100 yards out without having to hit a 3/4 wedge shot and start guessing distances. Something around 50/52 degrees? And how necessary do you think it would be?

Thanks!

If you don't like the 55, you might want to get a 53 and a 48 to keep consistent gaps. 52 or even 50 would probably leave too large of a gap between the PW and GW.

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Garcia08

In the market for a Gap Wedge and just wanted to gauge opinions on what would be the best option.

My current iron set includes: PW (43 degrees) SW (55 degrees) and a LW/SW (58 degrees). I tend to use my 58 degree most of the time instead of my SW as I find it much easier to hit, both out of bunkers and on the fairway.

Looking for something in-between my PW and LW really and just wanted to see what people recommend. Something easy to hit from around 80-100 yards out without having to hit a 3/4 wedge shot and start guessing distances. Something around 50/52 degrees? And how necessary do you think it would be?

Thanks!

That's a VERY strong pitching wedge.....

What's the bounce on your 55* and 58* wedges?

Assuming they both have sufficient bounce, with that setup I'd look at closing your gaps a bit more.  I'd likely add both a 48* and a 52*.   I'd then either dump the 55* (if you're really in love with the 58*)  or get rid of the 58* and bend the 55* to 56* and get an added benefit of another degree of bounce in that wedge too.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 weeks later...
Get a 49 or 50 if you can find one. Or something like this. Ditch your SW especially if you like the 58. You PW is really vilest to a 9-iron so you could add two in the bag. You PW would then kind of be like a 10-iron and the 48 is more like a true PW loft, GW 53 & you can use the 58 as SW/LW. 43 48 53 58 Good luck.

Driver: Adams TightLies Titanium High Launch Max COR (10.5°) R Flex Graphite SuperShaft Lightweight Mid Kickpoint, GolfPride Multicompound Grip

Fairway Wood: Ping G20 4-Wood (16.5°), R Flex Ping TFC 169F Shaft, Ping ID8 Grip | Hybrid: Ping G25 (23°), Ping TFC 189H Shaft, GolfPride Tour Velvet Grip

Irons: Cleveland TA-5 Gunmetal R Flex True Temper Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Black Grips: 5-I (27°) 6-I (30°), 7-I (33.5°), 8-I (37°), 9-I (41°), PW (45°)

Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action REG 588 Gunmetal Dynamic Gold Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Red Grips: 51°/6, 57°/10, LW 64°/8

Putter: Carbite Polar Balanced DC, Tiger Shark Oversized Grip 31"

Since it sounds like your biggest concern is having proper gaps for your full swing pitches, I would echo what GeorgeShot stated... go with a 48 and 53.  That's probably the best resolution.

Note: This thread is 3863 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!