• Announcements

• iacas

GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Contest   09/22/2016

Join our GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Challenge to win an autographed GAME GOLF, a Pebble Steel watch, and many more great prizes!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Garcia08

Gap Wedge Recommendations

6 posts in this topic

In the market for a Gap Wedge and just wanted to gauge opinions on what would be the best option.

My current iron set includes: PW (43 degrees) SW (55 degrees) and a LW/SW (58 degrees). I tend to use my 58 degree most of the time instead of my SW as I find it much easier to hit, both out of bunkers and on the fairway.

Looking for something in-between my PW and LW really and just wanted to see what people recommend. Something easy to hit from around 80-100 yards out without having to hit a 3/4 wedge shot and start guessing distances. Something around 50/52 degrees? And how necessary do you think it would be?

Thanks!

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

If you don't like the 55, you might want to get a 53 and a 48 to keep consistent gaps. 52 or even 50 would probably leave too large of a gap between the PW and GW.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Garcia08

In the market for a Gap Wedge and just wanted to gauge opinions on what would be the best option.

My current iron set includes: PW (43 degrees) SW (55 degrees) and a LW/SW (58 degrees). I tend to use my 58 degree most of the time instead of my SW as I find it much easier to hit, both out of bunkers and on the fairway.

Looking for something in-between my PW and LW really and just wanted to see what people recommend. Something easy to hit from around 80-100 yards out without having to hit a 3/4 wedge shot and start guessing distances. Something around 50/52 degrees? And how necessary do you think it would be?

Thanks!

That's a VERY strong pitching wedge.....

What's the bounce on your 55* and 58* wedges?

Assuming they both have sufficient bounce, with that setup I'd look at closing your gaps a bit more.  I'd likely add both a 48* and a 52*.   I'd then either dump the 55* (if you're really in love with the 58*)  or get rid of the 58* and bend the 55* to 56* and get an added benefit of another degree of bounce in that wedge too.....

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Get a 49 or 50 if you can find one. Or something like this. Ditch your SW especially if you like the 58. You PW is really vilest to a 9-iron so you could add two in the bag. You PW would then kind of be like a 10-iron and the 48 is more like a true PW loft, GW 53 & you can use the 58 as SW/LW. 43 48 53 58 Good luck.

I'd probably just get a 50degree or 52 degree wedge and call it good....

Since it sounds like your biggest concern is having proper gaps for your full swing pitches, I would echo what GeorgeShot stated... go with a 48 and 53.  That's probably the best resolution.