IGNORED

might get new irons *need help*

Note: This thread is 6112 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

well guys i am thinking about getting new irons, i have nike slingshots and absolutely love them but they are getting kinda old and i want something different. from what i have seen and hit the slingshots are arguably the easiest irons to hit. i dont want to get new irons that will make it 1)harder to play or 2)make my scores worse. i am not a believer in hitting blades it is not necessary i dont care what handicapp you are. so i'm looking at probally the ping I5, taylormade r7, or the cobra S9. let me know if i am overreacting but i just dont want to spend alot of money that will make my game worse. also what are the major benefits of irons listed compared to the irons i have now.

thanks
-matt

Driver: 09 Burner 10.5 Aldila NV 65 X Stiff
3wd: G10 14* Aldila NV 85 X Stiff
Hybrid: G10 18* Aldila NV 105 X Stiff
3-PW: I10 X100
Wedge: Tour 52* & 58* S400Putter: Circa 62 No.2 35" Ball: Tour IXLowest 9 (-E) 36Lowest 18 (+2) 73

Matt,

You are definately not over reacting... although you are looking for an iron that will not change your approach to your game as an 11 handicap there are some clubs out there that will help you shoot better scores without having to transition to a blade iron. I would list the slingshots as a super game improvement iron and the irons you listed are just game improvement irons. Take a look at all of the irons you listed and take some demo sets out on the course. If I were looking into a new set of improvement irons I'd take a good look at the Mizuno MX 25... an improvement iron that is forged and provides some more feedback off the face.

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

well guys i am thinking about getting new irons, i have nike slingshots and absolutely love them but they are getting kinda old and i want something different. from what i have seen and hit the slingshots are arguably the easiest irons to hit. i dont want to get new irons that will make it 1)harder to play or 2)make my scores worse. i am not a believer in hitting blades it is not necessary i dont care what handicapp you are. so i'm looking at probally the ping I5, taylormade r7, or the cobra S9. let me know if i am overreacting but i just dont want to spend alot of money that will make my game worse. also what are the major benefits of irons listed compared to the irons i have now.

Didn't you switched to Slingshot just recently? And you're planning to get another set of irons? Niceee...

What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

no, i got these irons in the beginning of '05. sorry they aren't for sale yet its gonnna take me forever to make my mind up.

-matt

Wedge: Tour 52* & 58* S400Putter: Circa 62 No.2 35" Ball: Tour IXLowest 9 (-E) 36Lowest 18 (+2) 73

no, i got these irons in the beginning of '05. sorry they aren't for sale yet its gonnna take me forever to make my mind up.

My bad.

What's in the bag:

no problem i sill think its nice i can get irons every 2-3years.

-matt

I have too many sets of irons, Mizuno MP30, TM RAC OS, Ping EYE2, Cleveland CG4 Tour.

I score about the same with all of them. My only complaint with Super Game Improvement clubs; they can only hit one shot- the high draw.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

thats a complaint? i would love to hit a high draw all the time. j/k but seriously i can hit a draw or a fade high or low with my irons. but i usually tend to hit straight, its easier than trying to work the ball like some people do on every single shot. i like to play simple golf.

-matt

But that is the common complaint about Super Improvement Irons from lower handicap players. They are built to have lots of offset and features to help get the ball up in the air.

Once you get to the mid to low handicap you usually are not wanting to rely on the equipement to prevent you from hitting slices or need help getting the ball up. There are times that you want the high draw but not on every shot. It makes it harder to hit straight or cut shots.

If you don't hit high draws with the slings, it might take you a while to adjust to a club with less offset.

thats a complaint? i would love to hit a high draw all the time. j/k but seriously i can hit a draw or a fade high or low with my irons. but i usually tend to hit straight, its easier than trying to work the ball like some people do on every single shot. i like to play simple golf.

Me too. That's why I want to be able to vary my trajectory and ball flight. Ever try to control a high draw with a strong left to right wind? Its very hard. For that I want a low fade.

How about a pin tucked right with water right of the green? Aim middle hit a cut, or aim over the water and let it draw? What's simpler? Give me clubs that allow all shots, please!

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

I have too many sets of irons, Mizuno MP30, TM RAC OS, Ping EYE2, Cleveland CG4 Tour.

Isn't it what a super-game-improvement-iron supposed to do? High and draw?

Anyway, how are you doing with the MP-30? Tried it and it felt nice and solid. Nothing feels like a Mizuno, eh?
What's in the bag:

Isn't it what a super-game-improvement-iron supposed to do? High and draw?

Been playing the MP-30 for 3 years. They feel great, but don't effect my score. I score the same with all my sets.

I admit, I'm an iron HO, and I have my eye on a new set, either Callaway X Forged or Titleist 695 CB.

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg

Note: This thread is 6112 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!