IGNORED

Jerry Pate's Layup!!!!

Mike1122
Note: This thread is 6884 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Did you SEE what happened to Jerry Pate on Sunday? Good god, gag me with a mashie-niblick! What a CHOKE job! The three footer to win, wasn’t just missed, he MISSED THE HOLE! And the 8-footer “free look or go home” on the 1st playoff hole was ATROCIOUS! Man is golf cruel! I am a Jerry Pate fan, so I was bummed to see it. Also, his caddy taking the 5-iron out of his hands on the 72nd hole to “lay up” a 185 shot was the most insane thing ever. This is the same Jerry Pate who RIPPED a 5-iron to 2-feet in 1976 to win the US Open at Atlanta Athletic Club? Sheesh. If you heard the exchange on TV, Pate’s talking yardage “so we got 180 carry, 185 to the flag” and then his caddy mumbles and Pate annoyingly says “so what do you want me to do, lay up?” Pate should have fired his caddy on the spot and said, “look here douchebag, I may be coming off a 20 year layoff because of a bum shoulder, but I’m NOT laying up from 185! Water in front? Who cares? I’m still Jerry F’ing Pate!” He sticks the 5-iron in there to 15 feet, rips the bag away from his donkey caddy, and then walks up the 18th fairway to a standing ovation with his heavy Tour bag on that once bum shoulder. Oh well. Meet Chip Beck. He laid up once also. How did that work out for him?

(copied from another site, but thought it was worth posting here)

• 2 weeks later...
Did you SEE what happened to Jerry Pate on Sunday? Good god, gag me with a mashie-niblick! What a CHOKE job! The three footer to win, wasn’t just missed, he MISSED THE HOLE! And the 8-footer “free look or go home” on the 1st playoff hole was ATROCIOUS! Man is golf cruel! I am a Jerry Pate fan, so I was bummed to see it. Also, his caddy taking the 5-iron out of his hands on the 72nd hole to “lay up” a 185 shot was the most insane thing ever. This is the same Jerry Pate who RIPPED a 5-iron to 2-feet in 1976 to win the US Open at Atlanta Athletic Club? Sheesh. If you heard the exchange on TV, Pate’s talking yardage “so we got 180 carry, 185 to the flag” and then his caddy mumbles and Pate annoyingly says “so what do you want me to do, lay up?” Pate should have fired his caddy on the spot and said, “look here douchebag, I may be coming off a 20 year layoff because of a bum shoulder, but I’m NOT laying up from 185! Water in front? Who cares? I’m still Jerry F’ing Pate!” He sticks the 5-iron in there to 15 feet, rips the bag away from his donkey caddy, and then walks up the 18th fairway to a standing ovation with his heavy Tour bag on that once bum shoulder. Oh well. Meet Chip Beck. He laid up once also. How did that work out for him?

I too would fire my caddy!!!!!!! What a choker. That's why I like Tiger. He plays golf for moments like this, hones his skills just in case he ever needed to play a particular shot, and never chokes when the moment arrives. You got to give him credit for that. Fortune favours the brave.

King Cobra

Note: This thread is 6884 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!