IGNORED

The Steroids/Media Witch-Hunt has begun.

EbonyGentleman
Note: This thread is 6110 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This morning (8/13/07) on ESPN's Mike & Mike In the Morning show, host Josh Elliott was on the subject of Tiger Woods and his hunt for Jack Nicklaus. He stated that the PGA needs to input a testing policy to "eliminate any doubt in our minds, especially in the current sports era that includes Barry Bonds. It would help Tiger's legacy."

First off, I think that the PGA should have a drug policy (like any other sport or common job.) However, I don't think that steroids help the golfer in any way. What's the point of being able to hit the ball very hard without any control? Extremely buff muscles in the chest and arms restrict some needed flexibility in the swing.

If muscles and hard swings were the only thing needed to be successful, John Daly would be chasing the Bear, not Tiger.

Also, as we all know, Nicklaus won a major at 46 years old and for all we know, he certainly wasn't juicing. Tiger himself was quoted as
supporting a policy, and only the players who can't beat him
are asking for one with baited breath.

Tiger has been bred for this since he was a baby. He is in his physical and mental prime RIGHT NOW. When he was younger he was a physical force, and when he ages he will be mentally sharper than his is bodily.

Why the media has to find some fault in legitimate success is beyond me. He is the total opposite of Barry Bonds. Bonds has been portrayed in the media as an obnoxious, arrogant person who cheated to get ahead. Tiger has been nothing but cordial and nice to the media and they are still implying that he cheated??? It's asinine.

And Woody Austin is jealous and bitter. That is all.

New Slogan for the PGA Tour in 2008:

"These guys are good....but we all know that you only watch if Tiger is playing."

I agree. Tiger has way too much to lose to even think about trying out steroids. And yes, Tiger is looking rather buff these days, but I think we all know it's natural. If you've watched Tiger's career, you'd know that he gained his muscle girth over quite a few years. If he was 'roiding it up, he'd have taken far less time to get that way.

That, and Tiger is a serious hard worker. When he was here in my town for the PGA Championship back in 2003, he stayed in one of the really nice houses that are about a couple minutes away from where I live. After he left, and the media got wind of where he stayed, they talked to a bunch of neighbors in the area and they said he was out every morning jogging around the neighborhood with Elin. I think it's obvious that he's a tireless hard worker.
And Woody Austin is jealous and bitter. That is all.

I haven't caught up on the coverage, did Austin say something stupid?

"The only thing in my bag that works is the bug spray."

In My Bag:
Big Bertha 454 Titanium (10º)
Big Bertha Fairway Woods Ping G2 HL (Black Dot) Ping M/B (56º & 52º) Mizuno MP-R Series (60º) Odyssey Black Series i #7

The media is pathetic. Why can there not be successful athletes that just have a hard work ethic and strong will to succeed?

I can't stand listening to this garbage.

Driver: 905R 9.5*
3-wood: 906F 13*
Irons: Forged Blades
Wedges: Black Satin SV Tour 52* , 56*, 60*
Putter: FuturaBall: ProV1x or One Platinum---------------------------------------------------------My 2008 Tournament Qualifiers:Tennessee State Match Play - Qualified - July...

I haven't caught up on the coverage, did Austin say something stupid?

You'll be seeing this all day on ESPN, Pardon The Interruption, and Around The Horn. This is what Woody Austin said: "I went over his round and my round and I OUTPLAYED HIM FROM TEE TO GREEN. I gave up seven shots in one round.... A person in my position cannot give that man that much cushion....and that's why I came up short. I DON'T THINK ANYBODY PLAYS ANY BETTER THAN I DO WHEN I'M ON. I know that's crazy but I think I can hit any shot anybody in the world can hit. But it's hard when you're afraid of him. That's the fight I have everyday." Major Titles: Tiger 13 - Woody ZERO! While I applaud someone....ANYONE...for admitting that someone has to step up and challenge Tiger, you have to have some credibility.

New Slogan for the PGA Tour in 2008:

"These guys are good....but we all know that you only watch if Tiger is playing."

I do think someone has to step up and be the man that gives Tiger a run week-in and week-out. But I highly doubt that man is Woody Austin. Tiger needs a solid adversary, much like Jack had Arnie, or Tom Watson, etc. If he did, it would make for even more interesting golf tournaments.

Sure, some have stepped up to the plate over the years, but they don't seem to last long. Take Phil for instance. I thought for a while there he was going to be the man, but he went the way of the Duval as of late. Speaking of Duval, I thought he'd be the guy a few years back. They all seem to have brief outings where they can match up to Tiger, but unlike Tiger, they fade out.

I guarantee the media will forget who Woody Austin is in about 3 weeks anyways.
"The only thing in my bag that works is the bug spray."

In My Bag:
Big Bertha 454 Titanium (10º)
Big Bertha Fairway Woods Ping G2 HL (Black Dot) Ping M/B (56º & 52º) Mizuno MP-R Series (60º) Odyssey Black Series i #7

• Administrator
However, I don't think that steroids help the golfer in any way. What's the point of being able to hit the ball very hard without any control?

We've had this discussion before, but the distilled points people will make are these, and they're valid:

1. Steroids speed up recovery, too, so you can not only practice more longer, but more frequently. Same with workouts.
  2. There are more drugs out there than steroids.
"I went over his round and my round and I OUTPLAYED HIM FROM TEE TO GREEN. I gave up seven shots in one round.... A person in my position cannot give that man that much cushion....and that's why I came up short. I DON'T THINK ANYBODY PLAYS ANY BETTER THAN I DO WHEN I'M ON. I know that's crazy but I think I can hit any shot anybody in the world can hit. But it's hard when you're afraid of him. That's the fight I have everyday."

I find nothing wrong with that, personally. Woody shot 62 to win a tournament this year - would Tiger have done so? Perhaps. Woody knows how good Woody is, and had Woody made a few earlier putts, he may very well have won the PGA.

The "outplayed him tee to green" bit is silly, I'll agree there, but the part about "when I'm on, I'm good" is what I think every PGA Tour has to believe if they're to have any success at that level.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ever since all these steriods scandals started popping up I always knew golf was a pure sport and none of the best players in the world have ever touched or even thought about touching the stuff.

But it doesn't stop me thinking that there are some rookies or idiots that will make it on the tour and are stupid enough to to try this stuff. I cant help to think 5 years down the line when they do start testing this stuff that a few idiots that really arnt that good will get caught and send the media into a frenzy trying to put blemishes on this otherwise blemish free sport.

Anyone else think this is gonna happen?

I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
-Michael Jordan

Note: This thread is 6110 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!