IGNORED

Problem with generating power w/ hips

Note: This thread is 6101 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is the first year I've really gotten into golf (I'm 16), I've taken a few lessons and been playing alot. However when I try to fire my hips into my drives, I tend to have a baseball swing affect, and i can't seem to keep my front foot (left foot, I'm a righty) still, while shifting my weight. Does anyone get what I'm describing/what could I possibly do about this?

In the bag:
Driver: r7 quad v2 stiff
3-Wood: XLS
Hybrid: X
Irons: CG Golds 3-GWSW: x forged 56/13LW: Vokey sm 60/.08Putter: Callie 35''Ball: pro v1

This is the first year I've really gotten into golf (I'm 16), I've taken a few lessons and been playing alot. However when I try to fire my hips into my drives, I tend to have a baseball swing affect, and i can't seem to keep my front foot (left foot, I'm a righty) still, while shifting my weight. Does anyone get what I'm describing/what could I possibly do about this?

What do you mean you can't keep your front foot still? Does it move laterally (sway) or do you lift it off the ground?

Try this one first: don't muscle it.
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

Agree with fusioncal. Sounds like your throwing your arms from the top with your upper body going outward with your lower body staying back. Think of moving your lower body first and feeling some weight flowing towards the front foot. As soon as you feel this, then you can start hitting/swinging with your upper body.

Keep your knees pointed in at address. That should keep you from swaying. Also rotate your left hip to the left, dont fire it at your target, it will feel more natural.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

I recommend the walk through drill. It will help you transfer your weight which is really the function of the hips.

Equipment, Setup, Finish, Balance, and Relax. All equal in importance and all dependent on each other. They are the cornerstones of a good golf swing.

I think I understand (thanks to you all's help) what I was doing. Instead of turning my hips I think I was simply shifting them forward (swaying). Today at my house I was hitting balls into a new and realized this. (I have some space) Tried hitting a ball with my SW just into my yard and when i fired my hips instead of swaying them i hit it like 15% further. I'm hopefull that with hard work I can eventually develop a smooth powerfull swing, resulting in more accuracy/distance.

In the bag:
Driver: r7 quad v2 stiff
3-Wood: XLS
Hybrid: X
Irons: CG Golds 3-GWSW: x forged 56/13LW: Vokey sm 60/.08Putter: Callie 35''Ball: pro v1

Because of this thread and others like it, I decided to do a video on the hip action. It goes together with my walk through drill but goes into more description of the do's and dont's.

Equipment, Setup, Finish, Balance, and Relax. All equal in importance and all dependent on each other. They are the cornerstones of a good golf swing.

Note: This thread is 6101 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!