IGNORED

Going to Stowe VT. in Sept.

Finn07
Note: This thread is 6232 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Going to Stowe Vt. with the wife in September, anyone recommend a good track over there. Thanks.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

i see you are from westchester so stratton mountain resort would be on your way. it has three courses, it hosted an lpga event for many years, and it has one of the best(but most expensive) golf schools in the nation(trust me....its amazing). ive been going to stratton for about 10 years now(mainly for the skiing, though) it is one of the best ski/snowboard trails in the world. it has a pleasant little village at the bottom of the trails. I would recommend spending the night(or a couple of days) but i dont know much about the two hotels because we have a house.
heres the link: http://www.stratton.com/index.htm

in my bag
driver: r9 with Fujikura Motore 65g stiff shaft
3w-5w: Sz with stock shafts (aldila hm) stiff
irons(3-pw): s59 stiff
wedges: 52deg. rac satin vokey spin milled 56deg. putter: xg9ball: b330rx

There are a few courses in the Stowe area. The Stratton course recommended above is nice but is probably a couple of hours away from Stowe. If you want to play golf in Stowe village, I have played the two courses that are located on the Mountain Road. The first is Stowe Country Club and I think if you are a guest at the Stoweflake you can play it. It's nice - scenery is beautiful but the course itself isn't particularly memorable.

Last Friday I played an outing at The Mountain Club, which is the new course up on Spruce Peak near the base area. This is a Brian Cupp design, and it is literally cut into the side of Spruce Peak. You can play it if you are staying at the Mountain Club, but since it is so new, I'm guessing they'll let you on if you tell them you're interested in buying real estate. It's one of the most spectacular mountain courses I've played in Vermont - huge elevation changes and views of Mt. Mansfield on almost every hole. Having said that, it is extremely unforgiving - the fairways are narrow, the greens tiny and super fast, and there is trouble everywhere. This is target golf, and if you miss, the pro will tell you to not bother looking for your ball. Chances are, it's fallen off some precipice and it's downright dangerous to go looking for it. You can't walk the course - even if you like Mountain climbing the distance between the tees on some holes is considerable.

Nearby, there are a couple of courses in Waterbury. Blueberry Hill is a small course with spectacular views of the Worcester range. And if you can get on, the Country Club of Vermont in Waterbury is probably my favorite in the area. It's private, so I'm not sure if you can get on but it's well worth making the call. CCVT is two different courses - the front 9 is a wide open links style layout that is deceptively difficult. The back 9 is classic New England forest golf, with spectacular views of the southern mountains and Camel's Hump. If you can get on, you can't go wrong.

I'm sure there are other courses, but these are the ones I have played. Vermont is also well known for some of its hidden gems but these are in towns located outside the tourist hustle of Stowe. Country Club of Barre qualifies here, as well as St. Johnsbury CC and Orleans CC, all of which accept public play but are also 45 min. to an hour away.

Have fun!

In my bag:

Driver: Wishon 915CFE, 420cc, SK Fiber Lite Revolution I
Irons: Tommy Armour 845 FS - PW - 3
Hybrid: Adams Idea 21 deg.Wedges: Cleveland 900 52 deg., 56 deg. TA588 60 deg.Putter: Generic mallet style

The Stratton course recommended above is nice but is probably a couple of hours away from Stowe.

It's about 3-3 and a half hours away but if he is coming from westchester it's on the way.

in my bag

Thanks for the input, im gonna make some phone calls on the courses you recommended.
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

I played Killington last year and thought it was great. Lots of really gun tee shots with HUGE elevation changes. Have fun!

In the bag:

Burner 10.5
Rescue mid 16, 19, 22, 25
X-16 irons Forged+ Vintage 48, 54, 60 Circa 62 #3 A009125

How far is Killington from Stowe?

its in between stratton and stowe....so im guessing about an hour and a half

in my bag

Hoof, you are right. If Finn has an extra day or so and wants to stop in Stratton I agree it's worth visiting.

Finn, I think hoof is right on the distance from Stowe to Killington. Just go straight down VT 100 south - a nice ride anyway. If you are looking that far afield, you may as well put these courses on your radar screen:

Sugarbush - another ski area course south of Stowe but north of Killington. It saw some hard times but I'm told new ownership has revived the place.

Green Mountain National - in the Killington area. I've never played it but a low handicap friend of mine really likes it.

And . . . just to close the loop, if you want to drive an hour NORTH on VT 100 you'll come to the Jay Peak golf course, which is a new Graham Cooke design. They just opened the full 18 holes this year, I believe. This is the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont, thought by many to be the least unspoiled part of the state but depending on your tastes, you may prefer the more rarefied environs of Stowe and southward. There is also another Graham Cooke designed course just across the border called Owl's Head GC. I think it's located in Mansonville, Quebec. It's in the middle of nowhere and is not very crowded but I like it very much.

Either way, you'll have a great time. I'll be interested in what you play and your reactions. Please post after you return.

In my bag:

Hybrid: Adams Idea 21 deg.Wedges: Cleveland 900 52 deg., 56 deg. TA588 60 deg.Putter: Generic mallet style

Im going to have to play at a course that is fairly close to Stowe. The wife wont be playing with me, so while Im playing she'll be doing her own thing, so I have about a 5 hour window or so.

according to google its ans 1hr and 34 mins. I really enjoyed playing there, but any of those mountain courses are probably nice.

In the bag:

Burner 10.5
Rescue mid 16, 19, 22, 25
X-16 irons Forged+ Vintage 48, 54, 60 Circa 62 #3 A009125

Im going to have to play at a course that is fairly close to Stowe. The wife wont be playing with me, so while Im playing she'll be doing her own thing, so I have about a 5 hour window or so.

pretty much anyplace you go will have things for her to do....most of the mountain resorts have "cute" villages with shops and such.

there is one course in stowe and it seems okay with a couple of good holes

in my bag

Finn, as I said before there are now 2 courses on the mountain road in Stowe. If you are up for a challenging and unique track, try the Mountain Club which just opened. Hoof's assessment of the older Stowe course which is right near the StoweFlake is right on - Okay with a couple of nice holes. The Mountain Club will be a better challenge for you.

In my bag:

Note: This thread is 6232 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!