IGNORED

Who will win the FedExCup?

georgep
Note: This thread is 6073 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Who will win the FedExCup?

• Tiger Woods
    • Vijay Singh
    • Jim Furyk
    • Phil Mickelson
    • K.J. Choi
    • Rory Sabbatini
    • Zach Johnson
    • Charles Howell III
    • Brandt Snedeker
    • Adam Scott
    • Scott Verplank
    • Steve Stricker
    • Sergio Garcia
    • Woody Austin
    • Hunter Mahan
    • Other

Tiger....he has 100,000 points and he hasn't even played a hole in the playoffs.
Whats with that? I thought it was a playoff?

I think Tiger hurt himself on that celebration dance he did. More than he's letting anyone know...

well i heard tiger is not going to play in the second event either. i really dont understand why he isn't playing unless he truly doesn't care about winning the first fedex cup.

Tiger is playing. He is in Boston already getting ready for the Deutsche Bank.

Tiger....he has 100,000 points and he hasn't even played a hole in the playoffs.

They did the same thing NASCAR did. He had an 11,000 point lead at the end of the regular season. They reset the points and seeded the players based on their finish. If not for that, there would have been no chance of someone catching him. I just hope that if he does not win it, that people don't start thinking whoever does is even in contention for player of the year.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Tiger, Tiger, Tiger Woods y'all.

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

I think Tiger is the favorite Doh! but I want Ernie Els to win I think his game is coming around and so is his confidence. He has moved into 10th position so I think he is position to make somehting happen but he will have to win at least one of the events left. Go "Big Easy"!!!

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

but I want Ernie Els to win

I liked Ernie's chances a lot more before he just withdrew from the Deutsche Bank.

Honestly I can't really see anyone other than Woods winning. Choi, Sabbatini, Els and Stricker are the only one's who come to mind who have played real well in recent weeks (well, Austin too but c'mon, I can't see him winning the FedEx Cup). Mahan too but he seems to keep backing up a great round with a horrible one. Seems to me a lot of the other top names are struggling right now. I have no idea what's wrong with Vijay but clearly something is wrong, Phil's getting better but he doesn't seem quite there yet. Adam Scott hasn't contended much since blowing that lead a couple months ago and seems to have nicely settled into that 10-20th spot on the leaderboard. Furyk would have been the guy to contend with Tiger until he got hurt. Not sure if he's 100%. Harrington is just happy to be the Open Champion and Garcia is just not happy Harrington's the Open Champion. Choi is really the only one I think could possibly contend with Tiger. He really is playing like the #2 player in the world right now.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

I liked Ernie's chances a lot more before he just withdrew from the Deutsche Bank.

Great analysis. I had also picked Choi as my alternative guy. I think he had to win Sunday to have a chance though. Unless Tiger does not win one of the three remaining tournaments his lead may be to small. Choi is consistent and seems to be there week in and week out. The pairings for this week are pretty interesting as they go out based on the point standings. Tiger is playing with Phil and Vijay. That should make for some good TV. That may also make Tiger slam his foot down on the gas from the first hole. If he is sharp, this could be a blow out early with him paired with the two guys that have most recently challanged his dominance.

Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

They did the same thing NASCAR did. He had an 11,000 point lead at the end of the regular season. They reset the points and seeded the players based on their finish. If not for that, there would have been no chance of someone catching him. I just hope that if he does not win it, that people don't start thinking whoever does is even in contention for player of the year.

To make it a true play off, they all should have started form 0. Golf isn't NASCAR.

They should not call it a playoff at all. They already do a playoff format. It's called the Match Play. They are trying to add something to the most boring part of the season to get the big names to play and keep people watching. Golf is still a business and if they want to keep people watching, they need to try things like this. I'm not a big NASCAR fan, but their popularity is far and away ahead of the PGA Tour. Viewers = Sponsors. Sponsors = Money. I'm sure they will visit something next year that makes the top guys play all four. They also needed to be smart about the whole thing. Lets say Tiger starts at zero and plays poorly and misses the cut. The ratings for the next three tournaments are in the toilet and the FedEx Cup becomes a total joke because the guy who was by far the dominat player all year is out before it starts.

I'm sure they will visit something next year that makes the top guys play all four.

I don't see this happening. Reason being that there is no week off between the Fedex Cup and the Ryder Cup next year. Peter Kessler was predicting on his show yesterday that the majority of the Ryder Cup team next year would skip one of the four events for this reason. I could see them restructuring the points a little to discourage players from skipping one of the events, but they won't make it mandatory.

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

I don't see this happening. Reason being that there is no week off between the Fedex Cup and the Ryder Cup next year. Peter Kessler was predicting on his show yesterday that the majority of the Ryder Cup team next year would skip one of the four events for this reason. I could see them restructuring the points a little to discourage players from skipping one of the events, but they won't make it mandatory.

I agree with you about not making it mandatory. They need to make sure they don't piss off the big guns. Most notably Tiger. I personally think it was stupid to put it only two weeks after the PGA and have it end so close to the Presidents Cup. If there is no break between the last event next year and the Ryder Cup, I could see Tiger saying screw it. I'm not playing 7 out of 8 weeks.

I would have to go with Tiger - that's not exactly going out on a limb of course! I think the scheduling of four back to back events does open the door for some off form performances and lets some others in. I'm not surprised that Tiger skipped Westchester nor that Els isn't playing this week. My vote ---Tiger winning two of the three remaining tournaments. I also predict some fairly major structural changes in the format by this time next year.

This whole FedEx event is probably better long term - career wise for guys like Stricker or Beamer.

Paladin

• 3 weeks later...

Well. At least it was close! For second place, I mean.

So when will Johnny Miller and the other blow hards stop pretending to speculate about who is the greatest golfer of all time? It's pretty stupid for them to insert into their inane chatter (which goes on through out the coverage) some hollow conjecture about who might be called the best ever... even as Tiger stands on the tee about to improve on his 26.6% win rate and crush the "tour championship" by 7 or 8 strokes.

Oh my god! I was right! I predicted the future! I said Tiger Woods was gonna win! I have a gift!

In my bag:
Driver: : D2 8.5°
fairway wood: 906 15°
Hybrid: 585H 19°
Irons: 4-PW 695MBWedges: 52° 56° & 60° CG12Putter: Bettinardi C-Series (Carbon Steel)Ball: Pro V1x

• Administrator
Tiger Woods won the FedEx Cup before he even stepped on the green Thursday. From a points aspect he didn't even need to play. Didn't know if anybody new that point. How do you

We didn't know it because it wasn't true until the last day. That's the dumb thing about stuff like this. Five other golfers COULD have beat Tiger Woods. That was what we knew going in, before they'd all played rather poorly in finishing well back.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We didn't know it because it wasn't true until the last day. That's the dumb thing about stuff like this. Five other golfers COULD have beat Tiger Woods. That was what we knew going in, before they'd all played rather poorly in finishing well back.

Right on the money. Tiger could have missed a lot of fairways and struggled to sink putts and a couple of other players could have played like they did on Saturday and the outcome would have been different.

SubPar

Note: This thread is 6073 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!