IGNORED

Keeping ball low

keb
Note: This thread is 6089 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What is the secret to keeping the ball low when trying to stay below the tree branches. When I try to get out of the trees, I invariably end up hitting the ball too high and often square into branch. If I can figure this out it is going to saving me couple strokes per nine holes.

Setup with the ball off your right toe(for rightys) with your hands ahead of the ball. Make sure you have your hands well ahead of the ball at impact. This will de-loft the club face and keep the ball nice and low for you.
In My Bag
Driver: R5 TP 9.5 Diamana
3 Wood: V-Steel 15* UST V2
5 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrids: Heavenwood 20* UST V2 Rescue Mid 22* UST V2Irons: RAC LT2 5-9 Project X FlightedWedges: RAC Black TP 47* 51* 55* 60*Putter: White Hot 2 BallBalls: One Black

Yes, you definitely keep the ball way back in your stance, hands ahead, but remember, that striking downward on the ball will still make it pop up and balloon, potentially into those branches. IMO, after setup, the key is takeaway. You have to take it back low and inside to encourage a very flat swing plane. Then concentrate on coming through the ball, keeping hands ahead and keeping that flat swing plane. That will help you get flat, or even slight over-, spin on the ball, keeping it down as well as helping you run it out toward your target.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

I do exactly what bwinger79 said and I use a low club like a 4 or 5 iron. 1/2 swing.
Driver 460
Hybrids 3 & 5
Irons X20 4-PW
Wedges Vokey Spin Milled 56 & 60
Putter Studio Balls HX Hot

If im ever in that position I try to hit a low draw anytime its possible. For me that keeps the ball about 10ft above the ground for its airtime and then a good amount of roll.
Driver FT-3 9deg w/ Aldila NV 65-S
3wood Rescue 3 15deg
Irons R7 TP w/ Flighted Rifle 6.5
Wedges 48deg TA900, 53deg TA588, 58deg TA900
Putter 2 ball center shaftedBall NXT Tour

I still have not been able to keep my long irons low when trying to shoot out of trouble. Deciding to try using hybrid today. Worked great. Straight line drive about no more than 5-6 feet off the ground. It even went were I wanted to go.

wrist hinge...

sonic blue's advice was good... except i dont try to swing super flat, i always want to stay on plane, i just change wrist hinge... i am VERY Good at flighting the golf ball.... its an important thing to learn too... when you want the ball to go low, chances are, popping it up would be a Very bad shot. So learning how to change flight can be a big benefit.

Just tale a five iron, swing nice and easy three quarters, oh and put it back little less than half way, and check to see where you think it is is really were it is. I see lots of people with wedges off their front foot from a hundred yards out, and others with drivers in the middle of their stance.

In the bag:

Driver: F-Speed 12*
3 Wood: r7 draw
5 Wood: F-SpeedHybrid: a3 boxerIrons: Ignite 4-PWWedges: 53 Phil Rogers, vokey 56, 588 60Putter: Victoria or Puku belly

With the Irons i usually put it a ball width further back then a normal shot. Choke down a little on the club too.

Also, go down a club to make up the distance. 3/4 backswing and 3/4 follow through keeping the hands low
Superquad 9.5 Stiff
G5 3 Wood Stiff
MP-57 3-PW
R-Series 56 Wedge
52 & 60 WedgesWH #5

I just club up and hit it soft......But that's probably why I suck at golf. it gets me on the green though.
Rynofskie

In My Well-Used Highlander Bag:

Driver:Redline RPM 9.5* Driver - TourLaunch Blue Shaft Rescue: "The Ripper" wal-mart special 3HybridIrons: ADAMS GT500 Undercut Widesole 4-LWPutter: Ray Cook custom mallet putterGuns don't kill people - the proper application of sight alignment, target...

I have a 1 iron that I use for these shots ONLY. I do just like most here said with hands infront of the ball and about a 1/2 to 3/4 swing. I also try to move my weight forward with the swing. For some reason if i don't do this it gets up a little too much, but it also causes me to get off-line sometimes. Its a very hard shot for someone of my caliber to master.
I'm only at 13 clubs in the bag, what do you reccomend as a 14th? My foot wedge?

In the bag:
Driver - HiBore XL 10.5* Reg. Flex Fit- on Fuji GoldWoods - Tightlies GT2: 3 wood 15* & 5 wood 19* Surpass 7 wood 24*Irons - Eye 2 4-PW & a cheesey 1 iron blade I use for punch...

Note: This thread is 6089 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!