IGNORED

Is it all about the right distance to the ball?

Note: This thread is 3661 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recently I discovered(pro informed me@swing check)was standing to far away from the ball at address which was leading to inconsistent ball striking and loss of balance on the follow through. I have always had this tendency since starting to play golf in 2005 and I suspect it comes out most in pressure situations. I then decided at address to drop my hands naturally so they just hung directly down from my shoulders and grip the club there. It felt so close to my body that I suspected I would shank or heel strike every shot. To my amazement I struck everything off of the sweet spot and just couldn't help doing it again and again! I then tried this with my pitching, chipping and putting and the contact and consistency was a remarkable difference. I notice the same posture and hanging hands adopted by so many pros. So the main point is "have I found the natural set up for me resulting in the perfect start point for my swing to be consistent?" I also have noticed as my stance is slightly narrower and my whole swing more compact I don't have to put in as much effort(as though gravity is assisting). My hip clearance and rotation is also significantly better. Has anyone else had a similar experience/breakthrough?

I've been working on the same thing this week, after watching the masters I remembered how the pros stand with their arms almost vertical downwards, and I'm having much better results, I strangely started hitting the ball a bit thin at first, then I soley concentrated on the front of the ball rather than the back, slowed my back swing, and BOOM! Straighter shots shooting of the face of the club! I then tried to apply this to my driver/woods with no success at all!

Gaz Lee

Do you think it may just be a timing issue with the longer clubs at first? I think the bit where you say "slowed down your swing" is crucial. It's such a big change that will require a slow down at first to get the timing of the body in sync.

Yeah, the slower I did it the better results, although shorter distance naturally, it was great with my lower lofted clubs, (4i to 7i,) I been playing 9 holes alone every day this week, so I was hitting 3/4 approach balls to each green, the straightness and flight improved greatly! So I need to get on the range now and groove this feeling in with all my irons/wedges, then get my distances nailed, I definitely think I'm onto something here.... Again

Gaz Lee

Note: This thread is 3661 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!