IGNORED

I got my driver cut

CG031
Note: This thread is 6107 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My Ping G5 driver was starting to get really erratic, and I love the club and it's 13.5° which suits my swing well right now because I don't hit the ball that high, so I love the carry I get with it on wet days.

With a 45.75" (got it cut to 44") shaft, and me being only 5'6" it just didn't make much sense. I brought it into Dicks because I know a guy (he's a great guy on and a great player, lol ,scratch golfer) who knows a ton about clubs and he also works at Dicks as well. He told me that cutting it down would not make the shaft stiffer because he was cutting it from the top. After he cut it, he said it got stiffer by 10 cmm or something like that, he mumbled something...I was lke "oh, damn will I notice it?" hes like "yep, you will."

I'm a little frustrated that it got stiffer, but oh well. Hopefully I'll still hit it well despite a slightly stiffer shaft. (My swing speed is about 93 MPH, and I've never hit a stiff shaft ever so.)

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

My Ping G5 driver was starting to get really erratic, and I love the club and it's 13.5° which suits my swing well right now because I don't hit the ball that high, so I love the carry I get with it on wet days.

You mean you got your strong 3 wood cut? :)

It will play stiffer, but if you were erratic that might not be all bad. And if you hit the middle of the clubface more often, your average drives will still probably be longer.

I've also cut down my G5 to 45." A nearly 46" shaft makes it tough for us mere mortals to consistently get the timing right.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He should have KNOWN that it would get stiffer...and 10cpms may be about right...but that is the butt flex stiffness which has nothing to do with the overall shaft profile.

You did yourself a favor by cutting it down...most of the time people come to us with accuracy problems off the tee box it's one or more of the following: Too stiff, Too low loft or too long.

Bag #1
DRIVER: TourSwing TVC 10.5*w/VooDoo
FW: Geek 15* w/Graman Limey
FW: TourSwing Thunder 19* w/Graman Limey
HYBRIDS: #4 #5 Alpha RX Low w/Graman LimeyIRONS: Nakashima NP-2 w/Accra i SeriesWEDGES: Same as abovePUTTER: Slighter Olympia #1

Yeah, wow! What a difference it made today! I hit every fairway when I used my driver off the tee today. I usually have a couple of real bad snap hooks per round, not any today. WOW. The club is also a TON lighter. I'd suggest to people who may not be the tallest in the world since these drivers shaft come so damn long now a days.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW

Does anyone hit Mizuno MP 32's? I'm looking to move up from my 10 year old DCI oversize+ irons. I hit the Mizuno's today and I liked them. Not quite a pure blade, but had a lot more feel than my cavity back Titleists.

Does anyone hit Mizuno MP 32's? I'm looking to move up from my 10 year old DCI oversize+ irons. I hit the Mizuno's today and I liked them. Not quite a pure blade, but had a lot more feel than my cavity back Titleists.

MP32's are nice, but they are pretty thin. If you want something more workable with more feel, get them.

Also, your from Emmaus? I'm from NJ, just on the border - about 35 minutes from Emmaus. haha

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW

Note: This thread is 6107 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!