IGNORED

Pro Advice

Note: This thread is 6107 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just been to my first lesson (wont be my last) was very educational, and i can now almost hit the ball straight :). As ive mentioned before im on the lookout for new clubs, and a lot of people here have been talking about the mizuno irons. Im only getting back into golf recently and had been playing with a set of regal graphite irons. The pro said that i need to switch to steel shafts due to the power in my shots and also said that i hit the ball very high so i could do with clubs that keep the ball a bit lower, but that the graphite shafts were also causing a lot of spin hence lifting the ball higher in the air. He mentioned that cobra clubs were very good. And also said that he would tend to keep me away from beginner irons etc as i could hit the ball very well and a few more lessons would make big improvements. Is all this correct, im aware the pro owns his own shop and could be trying to make money out of all of this but at the same time he seemed very genuine. I want to make sure im making all the correct choices before i invest in a new set. Any opinions on this would be much appreciated. Also if steel shafts are better for more power, why do drivers have graphite shafts?

Driver: Callaway Hyper X Tour
5 Wood: Ping G5
Irons: Cobra fp 4-SW
Bag: Powakaddy
Ball: Srixon soft feel

my pro said the same thing about graphite shafts
he said graphite on irons was for slower swing speeds mostly for seniors and ladies .
i think because the drivers are longer is why they have a graphite shaft on them..i could be wrong tho ..i have been before

it will be nice to see what the group thinks about this

driver & woods
fatshaft II irons
588 wedges
putter
tour ix ball gps

I feel that steel gives a better feeling through the entire club, but with the graphite you can only really feel the head. Also, I think drives have graphite for speed. You can get much more speed out of a lighter shaft.

In the bag:

Driver: F-Speed 12*
3 Wood: r7 draw
5 Wood: F-SpeedHybrid: a3 boxerIrons: Ignite 4-PWWedges: 53 Phil Rogers, vokey 56, 588 60Putter: Victoria or Puku belly

Graphite is used in drivers because its lighter which allows manufacturers to make them longer to give people added clubhead speed and therefore more distance. It also has significant dampening qualities which make it easier on bones and joints.

While there used to be a huge disparity with regards to consistency of graphite versus steel this gap has become vastly disminished.

Steel has also become significantly lighter over the last few years with True Temper releasing a 75g steel shaft only a while back so the gap with regards to weight has also become smaller.

Both steel and graphite can hit the ball high/low depending on which shaft you select and how the clubmaker tips the shaft/s. I guess you could guage whether or not he's trying to sell you clubs or not just by observing his lessons with other students?

Oh, one more thing. Steel is generally a lot cheaper than graphite and that is probably one of the reasons why it has continued to remain so popular in irons.

Note: This thread is 6107 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!