Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mark974

MIXED BAG

3 posts in this topic

so guys....  Last year I scored a set 5 - pw of Used Mizuno MP-32 irons really cheap (80usd).   I went to the range.. I was super impressed with the feel of them and the ball flight...  however I did notice that I lost quite a bit of distance.. that is to say.. for example.. my 9 iron from my previous set... taylormade burner 2.0 I could hit around 140.  the mp32 9 iron would only be good for about 130.  so about 10 yards.  and on an "off hit"  even less due to the obvioulsy smaller sweet spot.

So I went back to my Burner's and have been striking the ball well....   Here's the situation now...  I've put the 8 9 and pw from the mp32 set back in the bag and taken out my PW from my burner and my 58 degree cleveland (i have a 60 already in there)  I use the 32's around the greens for chipping and bump and runs because they are softer.  But I will use them in a full swing shot if I feel like I need to be more accurate.   Does anyone think this will hurt me or should I just stick with one set or the other.  input??

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

A lot of people play mixed sets, so nothing wrong with that and it could be argued that there is a lot RIGHT about doing it.  Distance, for me, isn't that big an issue, but accuracy certainly is and so I love clubs that are forgiving.  You just don't need that much forgiveness in the shorter irons/wedges.  The remaining "issue" may be overall club weight and swing weight.  Personally, I don't like having clubs that feel all that different, maybe it doesn't bother you, or maybe it isn't an issue with those particular clubs.  For me, again, this extends to the grips, I'm just happier if they all feel the same.  I read somewhere that irons are all about moving the ball toward the cup, nothing more, nothing less.  (That's paraphrased, not a direct quote.)  If that mix moves the ball effectively toward the hole for you it is a good thing.

A lot of folks including professionals play with mixed iron sets. They are even offered by a few manufacturers in top line sets where you have more forgiveness in the longer irons and more feel in the shorter irons.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2016 TST Partners

GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
    • This will happen to me when I have the optimal club release. My distance hog is that I don't release the club well into the ball, and I kind of just pull it through. It works, but when I relax and get a good swing with a great controlled release through my hands I can feel the difference and it does go MUCH farther. 
    • A couple of videos and pictures from Turnberry yesterday - didn't play brilliantly, but managed +12 in serious wind, particularly on the front nine. Putting was hard with the new greens and I three putted twice on the front nine for the first time in ages. I also found it very hard in the wind and kept trying to fight it, overthinking things rather than sticking to what I was comfortable with. As a result, I only really found my game with a few holes to play. Highlights were a birdie on the par 5 eighth, an awesome drive on the 10th, which I got on camera, and making the Tom Watson 2009 up and down, having gone over the back as well from near the plaque . The course itself was incredible - the greens haven't yet fully settled in and so there are different speeds all over the place, but it's such a good test. If you don't find the fairway, you can't score.   Very short swings due to crazy amount of wind! Fourth green - with the wind, you have to start the ball off the left of it, pretty much on the ocean...: Second shot into the 7th green. Didn't make the putt (story of the day!): View from the new championship tee for the 9th: Panoramic view from the 10th green. Arguably the most scenic par five anywhere: My Tom Watson 2009 moment captured (sort of - plaque, tee shot and where my 6 iron over the back finished up): Not worth the money, I don't think - hard for it to ever be the case at the price, but I loved every minute of it. It's a great course and deserves to have the Open back soon. Western Gailes today and hopefully my swing is on better form!
    • A couple of videos and pictures from Turnberry - didn't play brilliantly, but managed +12 in serious wind, particularly on the front nine. Only really found my game with a few holes to play, but there were some very dodgy misses in there. Highlights were a birdie on the par 5 eighth, an awesome drive on the 10th, which I got on camera, and making the Tom Watson 2009 up and down, having gone over the back as well from near the plaque . The course itself was incredible - the greens haven't yet fully settled in and so there are different speeds all over the place, but it's such a good test. If you don't find the fairway, you can't score.   Very short swings due to crazy amount of wind! Fourth green - with the wind, you have to start the ball off the left of it, pretty much on the ocean...: Second shot into the 7th green. Didn't make the putt (story of the day!): View from the new championship tee for the 9th: Panoramic view from the 10th green. Arguably the most scenic par five anywhere: My Tom Watson 2009 moment captured (sort of - plaque, tee shot and where my 6 iron over the back finished up): Not worth the money, I don't think - hard for it to ever be the case at the price, but I loved every minute of it. It's a great course and deserves to have the Open back soon. Western Gailes today and hopefully my swing is on better form!
    • Count me in. Charlotte is only about an hour away for me, which is no problem.
    • I hit whatever the current TM model was in the spring but really like the AP1's. But I'll do a proper unbiased fitting and see what the results are as in both instances for iron fittings, it's been done by Titleist reps.
  • TST Blog Entries

• Images

• Today's Birthdays

1. chriswuk
      chriswuk
      (25 years old)
    2. Gero
      Gero
      (73 years old)
    3. SUPGolfer
      SUPGolfer
      (46 years old)