IGNORED

My Swing (Garradmiller)

Garradmiller
Note: This thread is 3622 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have different causal issues in my swing than you, but I share a result, the over swing.  Mike can speak up if he thinks this is a bad approach, but one thing I've found really helps in not over swinging is to set the wrists earlier.  If feels like WAY earlier, though in video it's just earlier.  The issue for me, that I see for you too, is that we get to what could be a reasonable position at the top, and then after everything else has stopped moving, the left elbow bends more and the wrists cock more.  Notice in the second pic from Mike above that if your left arm was a tad straighter and your wrists had maintained the position they were in 2 frames earlier, you wouldn't have rolled them over and wrapped them around your head.  Your forearms wouldn't have rotated so much and the club would not have gotten to, much less past, parallel with the ground.  That'd be a much better place to implement further changes to the swing.

I don't disagree he has to hinge the wrists earlier but I do think the priority is getting the pivot stuff better. Going to be really tough to hit it solid when the left shoulder is higher than the right when his hands are past the right thigh. I also think working the left shoulder down longer add some wrist hinge without him thinking about it. As the left side bends and the right side stretches, the hands will follow and ascend. If the there isn't any bending or stretching, the hands work back too low and something has to happen to create some "up" in the swing. That's where you see the arms lift, left arm bends, wrists collapse.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't disagree he has to hinge the wrists earlier but I do think the priority is getting the pivot stuff better. Going to be really tough to hit it solid when the left shoulder is higher than the right when his hands are past the right thigh. I also think working the left shoulder down longer add some wrist hinge without him thinking about it. As the left side bends and the right side stretches, the hands will follow and ascend. If the there isn't any bending or stretching, the hands work back too low and something has to happen to create some "up" in the swing. That's where you see the arms lift, left arm bends, wrists collapse.

Yeah that makes sense.  I probably bring it up just cause it's one of the things I'm thinking about in my own swing, so I'm biased towards seeing that in other people's swings.  The reason I brought it up is that for me the way late wrist hinge was so natural and ingrained that other changes didn't help it much without me thinking about it, and an arms and wrists position at A3 like @Garradmiller has right now was hindering some of my priority changes.  I've been finding it easier to change the back swing and stop at the top where I want getting the wrist hinge done earlier.  Sort of eliminating one more moving piece earlier in the backswing so I can concentrate on the other things I want to change there, and not give away the game getting to a nice A4 and then hinging, rotating, and bending past where I want to be.

But, I agree that the pivot issues for @Garradmiller are pretty extreme and you're right I'm jumping the gun throwing that in there.  Maybe something it might be helpful to think about after fixing the gross (as in large scale) pivot issues during a refinement stage.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

I worked on keeping my left arm more straight as well as limiting backswing travel and getting more hip rotatin tonight. Felt funny but I was striking the ball well. Hardest part for me was the shoulders my right shoulder just naturally wants to be low it's very hard to get my left lower.

I worked on keeping my left arm more straight as well as limiting backswing travel and getting more hip rotatin tonight. Felt funny but I was striking the ball well. Hardest part for me was the shoulders my right shoulder just naturally wants to be low it's very hard to get my left lower.

Yeah it should feel weird or different at first, just means you're making the changes.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3622 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!