IGNORED

From 1 handicap to scratch or plus

JGolf210
Note: This thread is 3571 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well, of course.

But in my (admittedly novice) experience the degree of difficulty between hitting a 5 and a 7 is a lot more pronounced than between a 7 and a 9, and I found it interesting that a really good player such as @GHIN0011458 mentioned something similar. If that were true one would expect a non linear relationship between dispersion and iron being used, so just wondering if the stats do show that.

Either that or my 6 and 5 irons hate me, which I could totally believe too. (Don't get me started on woods...)

Too many big words man. I just practice and it works out that way LOL.

Here is average strokes to hole out from fairway for tour pros.  This is shotlink data from Every Shot Counts.   You can see having 140 in they are averaging more birdies that bogies... >180 and they are starting to loose strokes to par

100 - 2.8

120 - 2.85

140 - 2.91

160 - 2.98

180 - 3.08

200 - 3.19

240 - 3.32

260 - 3.58

Here is average strokes to hole out from fairway for tour pros.  This is shotlink data from Every Shot Counts.   You can see having 140 in they are averaging more birdies that bogies... >180 and they are starting to loose strokes to par

100 - 2.8

120 - 2.85

140 - 2.91

160 - 2.98

180 - 3.08

200 - 3.19

240 - 3.32

260 - 3.58

This is what I was talking about. My difference between a 155 and 175 shot is much smaller than the difference between my 175 and my 195 shot

But in my (admittedly novice) experience the degree of difficulty between hitting a 5 and a 7 is a lot more pronounced than between a 7 and a 9, and I found it interesting that a really good player such as @GHIN0011458 mentioned something similar. If that were true one would expect a non linear relationship between dispersion and iron being used, so just wondering if the stats do show that.

Either that or my 6 and 5 irons hate me, which I could totally believe too. (Don't get me started on woods...)

Many pros are using hybrids, instead of 2i, 3i, some even don't have a 4i. Of course the average pro hits (carry) their 6i and 5i 180 and 190 yards.

Check out the stats link GHIN posted. Here is the specific section you are concerned: http://www.pgatour.com/stats/categories.RAPP_INQ.html

Keep in mind that the 7i/6i is on average their 175 to 200 yard club, and they need to land with serious spin to hold their greens.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

This is what I was talking about. My difference between a 155 and 175 shot is much smaller than the difference between my 175 and my 195 shot

The quoted numbers have them at 0.1 difference between 160 and 180, and 0.11 from 180 to 200. I don't know if that's "much" smaller… :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't think you are interpreting this data correctly... This is average strokes to hole out data, not average dispersion. The difference between 160 and 200 yards to hole out is .21 strokes....ON JUST ONE HOLE! Play that way an entire round, 14 driving holes and you've lost 3 strokes! (2.94). Not a way for a tour pro to make a living giving 12 strokes to the field over a four day tournament

Looks like I found someone to play with

Taylormade SLDR 10.5

Ping Anser 4-PW

Ping Anser 52,54,60

Ping G25 3 Wood 15

Ping I20 4 Hybrid

Scotty Cameron GoLo 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pretzel

Alright, I have an experiment for you. On your next round out, take every drive you hit and move it back two to three clubs before hitting your approach shot, but move it into the center of the fairway each time. I guarantee that you will shoot a higher score than if you hit the ball from the rough with a shot two to three clubs shorter. Having a shorter club into the green (such as a pitching wedge) versus a longer club into the green (such as your 7-iron), even with a better lie, makes a MASSIVE difference. If you don't believe me, go do that experiment I told you to do and you'll realize what I mean.

I agree that I would much rather have a PW in rather than a 7i, but there is an advantage to being on the fairway at a lot of courses.  It seems the pros get it closer from 150-175 yards from the fairway than they do from 125-150 yards from the rough.  Same with other comparisons in the 100-200 yard range.  For a PGA pro, being on the fairway compared to the rough seems to be worth 30 yards or more.  Of course, there are a number of differences between the courses the pros play and what most of us play on an everyday basis, so while it can be useful to use PGA Tour data as a yard stick, there may be some differences as it applies to most amateurs.

To the OP- what is the biggest difference between your game and the games of those that you have played with that are better than you?  Distance off the tee, accuracy, consistency, short game, course management, putting???  If you haven't played with many scratch and + cappers, you should try to do so.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

• Administrator
I agree that I would much rather have a PW in rather than a 7i, but there is an advantage to being on the fairway at a lot of courses.  It seems the pros get it closer from 150-175 yards from the fairway than they do from 125-150 yards from the rough.  Same with other comparisons in the 100-200 yard range.  For a PGA pro, being on the fairway compared to the rough seems to be worth 30 yards or more.

160 yards in the fairway: 2.98

140 yards in the rough: 3.15

Most golfers aren't playing courses with PGA Tour level rough, though. The gap gets much, much smaller. Plus some guys LIKE to play from the rough. It fluffs up their ball a little.

You should buy the book seen to the left of this post. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Plus some guys LIKE to play from the rough. It fluffs up their ball a little.

You should buy the book seen to the left of this post. :)

cant complain about getting your balls fluffed

Note: This thread is 3571 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!