IGNORED

New tall (+1,+2?) clubs, from where?

Note: This thread is 6113 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So, I'm 6'7" and it was my 20th birthday yesterday. I will need at least a +1 and I'm not sure where I should get these clubs. It would be nice to know of a couple websites that you can find plenty of long clubs on that are legit (no one likes being screwed, right?)

So any suggestions would be great and here is everything I can tell you that may help you:
Hand: Right
Height: 6'7"
Weight: 150 (Yes, I'm that skinny. )
Price range: 200-350 most likely, depending on the bargain. If I can get $500 clubs for $300 and $550 clubs for $375, guess what, I'd take the $300 set, but it may expand if it's a super sweet set of clubs.

Anything else?

My bag:
Irons: Rac OS2
Driver:
Putter: STX Sync 9740
Balls: One Black Pro V1 HX Tour

u are correct in thinking about +1" for irons. but u may also be looking at 2-4" upright as well since you most likely have a steeper swing plane. the price range you r looking at is tough. my advice is to get custom fit someplace and then look into maybe getting a set that matches the fitting on ebay if u keep your eyes out you can snatch some sweet clubs cheap. hope that helps. good luck!

I am 6'8” so I can feel your pains... literally :) Most manufacturers will not extend clubs but 1.5 inches because of warrantee issues. I bought my Callaway’s and had a local pro shop extend mine even more so I could have the correct posture and I would recommend that for you. Of course I have not seen you play, but at 6'8" I know I could not play a round without serious back fatigue. Now to answer you question... Henry Griffith irons are great for us tall folks. I suggest going and hitting some, I have been told that they will deal with long shafts than a standard golf company (Ping, Callaway etc.) Their irons are also a bit lighter so it keeps you from having such a heavy head swing weight because of the longer shafts.

I am 6'6" so when I started to play I did alot of searching to see what my options were.

My first real set of clubs I bought directly from Callaway. I went to one of the local golf shops that were certified through Callaway to custom fit clubs. This is a good way to go, but you will also be paying top dollar for your set, which I have stopped doing.

What I do now, is search Ebay for deals. You just have to know what clubs you want and keep a close eye on the listings. You can easily find a very good set of clubs within your price range. Just know that what you are purchasing from Ebay will typically be a standard size set of clubs.

For instance, this past April I purchased a brand new set of Callaway X Forged irons off of Ebay for $400 under the suggested retail price. From this point I brought my clubs to a local golf shop, where I had the clubs bent 2 degrees upright, had them extended 1 and a half inches, and had the grips built up to fit my big hands. The work I had done, wound up to be $11 per club for a total of $88. So when it was all done and over with, I still had a complete savings of $312 compared to buying them through a major distributor.

A few things to know if you choose to go this route. Being as tall as you are, there is a good chance that you will have to have the lie angle adjusted. Only certain kinds of club head materials can be adjusted beyond a certain point. On most forged irons this is not an issue, but it may be a consideration when it comes to casted irons.

When you extend shafts, it effects the shafts stiffness. Adding to a clubs length will make it weaker, so in my case I choose to go with a stiffer flex shaft knowing when I added 1 and a half inches the stiff flex would weaken down to a strong regular flex which I prefer. So buy a stiffer flex shaft, kinowing it will weaken when you extend it.

The hardest part is knowing which clubs you want to buy, because you will not be able to go out and demo all the clubs you want like the height challenged majority here. So do alot of research and try to find the right clubs for you, then just camp out on Ebay till that deal comes along, and do not worry, it always does.

"I'll always remember the day I broke ninety. I had a few beers in the clubhouse and was so excited I forgot to play the back nine." -Bruce Lansky

Note: This thread is 6113 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!