Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jasonpetermann

Shorten the driver!

2 posts in this topic

I am 5'7" on a good day! I have been considering cutting down my driver. So, I just took my cobra Bio cell driver and Bio Cell three wood to the range. I put the three wood shaft into the driver (43.5 shaft) and hit some balls. I was amazed at how far I was still hitting the ball and much tighter dispersion. Not sure what that made the swing weight, though it did not feel too bad. I also don't think I would go any shorter than 44 inches. But this proved to me that I definitely need to cut my driver shaft down.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I used to grip down an inch and a half or so on my 45.5" driver. I had an older used one that I wasn't using, so I cut it down to 44", put a new grip on it, and have been using it for a while. When I first made the change, I thought I hit it better than the one I gripped down on (specs aren't the same, so this isn't strictly a fair comparison). But I'm hitting it well, and I like it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2016 TST Partners

GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
    • Nice pics! I can tell you're good at what you do.  From the pics, they remind me of Ping Ansers
    • Coast to Coast AM, Dan LeBatard Show, Generous Orthodoxy with Malcolm Gladwell, Freakonomics Radio, TED Radio Hour, and Wait Wait Don't Tell Me.
    • Putting practice is very different from one player (and especially skill level to the next).   here are my impressions.   it is true that 30-50% of all shots are from the green.  but, you can't really look at it that way, because even on a good putting day, half of those are inevitable.  If you two putt every single green in regulation, I doubt you're gonna be too down on yourself.  so really, the strokes you are adding or subtracting from your card are the number of 3-putts and 1-putts.   For your average golfer, there are really just two things you need to accomplish to putt well.   Making every putt under 6 feet.  and putting every putt outside that 6-foot circle to within the circle.   1) making every putt within 6 feet this is really just about repetition.  and it really doesn't matter where you are getting your reps.  I have an 8 ft putting mat in my living room.  If I spend an hour just hitting balls on this over, and over, and, over, I notice is great deal of improvement in making my 5 footers.  I know it sounds simple, but just learning how to repeatedly hit the ball straight and having the confidence standing over the ball to hit it straight makes a huge difference.   note: I assume as you get better and better at golf (and putting), this method of practice will have less and less of a positive impact.  This really only helps you become confident in your putting stroke, once you've got that down, you've got bigger fish to fry.   2) hitting everything outside that 6 foot circle to within 6 feet.   This one is a bit trickier.  I think the best practice for this one is to get to a practice green and putt from many different distances.  and changing it up very frequently (as opposed to putting many balls from one distance and then moving).  This one is all about feel.  and feel only comes with practice.     If you can get really good at these two simple skills, you can certainly become a passable putter.   Now the next step is raising your conversion rate on 10-15 foot putts.   I think this step takes a lot more work and a much better understanding of how to read a green as well as being a lot more precise with your pace.   If I ever figure this stuff out, I'll do my best to share.               
    • 8/31/16: Slower backswings with a slightly faster through swing. Swinging at perhaps 60-65% of my "normal speed" I honestly don't lose much distance with it. So I think I might use this for a while. "Ledge" gave me this tip on Sunday. (After my match). He told me, I would be more consistent with it, so I'm giving it a shot. As August has 31 days, I've completed the "5 Minutes Daily" challenge for August. @iacas, how do I make text red in mobile?
    • I have a Smart TV, only Smart appliance in the house.
  • TST Blog Entries

• Images

• Today's Birthdays

1. OR Cat
      OR Cat
      (55 years old)
  • Blog Entries