IGNORED

Reverse Pivot - again :-(

kafka01
Note: This thread is 6088 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In the last couple of days i had the bad feeling that whenever i hit a iron i Reverse Pivot - again (Fatsies/having trouble hitting long irions of the deck/to big divots on clean shots). This only counts for irons - my Driver and Woods (of the Tee or deck) which had this tendencies too in the past "still" work fine and ball flight is quite consistent with a slight fade.

So i recorded some swings today on the range and i thought i gotta puke - how can this be that after making a break of 3 weeks that i fall back into these old tendencies which i fighted so hard in the past to get rid off (i never really get rid off them completly actually just reduced them)?

One thought now was to start from the fresh - picking my swing completly apart and doing it all over again, in the hope that this will elimante this problem forever? What i also noticed was when i compared my Drives to the long hitters at our club i could always keep up with them on a good shot - never with my irons though.

Anybody else out there who has nasty tendencies who show up from time to time, and did you get rid of them finally?

One thing my pro tells me to do is hitting balls one-handed, which he tells me should give me the right shaft plane and help me with the start of the downswing. Another thing he showed me is swinging a flag pole like a baseball bat which forces the correct movement of hips/shoulders/arm. My problem just is, that i have such a hard time implementing these things into my swing when actually holding a club. Any other drill ideas?

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

Normally find if I just keep on focuse on maintaining the knee flex in my back leg, ensure that my hips stay relatively level, maintain spinal tilt, and ensure that my stance is of the correct width (not too narrow) then I can avoid a reverse pivot. Still creeps in every once in a while, but I can usually track it down to these issues.

My dad does this, and its always down to overswing. Now, i dont want to say that you overswing but i would'nt be supprised if you did.

This was a common problem in my consistancy, my Pro said "James, you overswinging again and collapsing the wrist" and i would say "you sure? Doesnt feel like i am"

Swing that bit to much and your right leg straightens, weight moves to the left and you lose your spine angle.

First i would say try hitting half shots and work you way back up to your full swing ( I would say try and work out your full swing to the pelez clock system. For me, my full swing is my arms poniting to 10:30).

On your practice swings, on the follow through take a step forward. Take 2 or 3 practice swings trying to keep to a half swing and a step forward on the follow through, then try hit a ball and see if its helped.
Superquad 9.5 Stiff
G5 3 Wood Stiff
MP-57 3-PW
R-Series 56 Wedge
52 & 60 WedgesWH #5

Focus on doing this in your setup.

Push your front hip forward so that it is directly over your front foot.

Tilt back so that your back shoulder is over your back foot.

Got it? Front hip over front foot... Back shoulder over back foot.

Equipment, Setup, Finish, Balance, and Relax. All equal in importance and all dependent on each other. They are the cornerstones of a good golf swing.

If you are doing a reverse pivot, maybe the Stack and Tilt method would seem natural too you. Might want to give it a shot.

Swing = Stacked and On Plane when possible.
In My Bag:
Driver: Ping G5 9° Alidila NV 75g Stiff
3-Wood: Nike SQ 15° Diamana Stiff (Stock)
Irons: NIKE FORGED SPLIT CAVIY (S300)Wedges: Taylormade RAC Fe2O3 (Rust) 52°/56°/60°Putter: Titleist/Cameron Newport 1.5Ball: Looking for a new...

I dont know if Overswinging is the same as in German "ueberkreuzen" (translated overcrossing) which means the backswing goes a bit to far back and the shaft points right instead of left - if so, yeah i do this sometimes but not on a big scale.

Hitting shots with a backswing of 2/3 or less this problem doesnt show up - e.g. if i hit a pitch shots i never seem to Reverse pivot/come over top.

I read about Stack and Tilt when it was published in GD a couple of months ago and figured it actually could help me with the problem. Unfortunately my pro is more of the conservative type and wasnt very cooperative in teaching this kind of swing-variation instead going with the classical golf swing a la Ben Hogan. Actually i dont really know what to think about this.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

For me its all about the setup. If I've just been playing a round on the course and having fun with it, not trying to play my best and just hang out with the guys, I get lazy on my setup. If I'm taking the round seriously, then I take extra time to compose myself and my setup before every shot. When I do this I see about a 7-10 stroke difference in scores, and my shots are flying much straighter and longer.

So in short, just mind your setup before everyshot. From ball position to grip, and keeping the head down (my biggest fault).
I'm only at 13 clubs in the bag, what do you reccomend as a 14th? My foot wedge?

In the bag:
Driver - HiBore XL 10.5* Reg. Flex Fit- on Fuji GoldWoods - Tightlies GT2: 3 wood 15* & 5 wood 19* Surpass 7 wood 24*Irons - Eye 2 4-PW & a cheesey 1 iron blade I use for punch...

I read about Stack and Tilt when it was published in GD a couple of months ago and figured it actually could help me with the problem. Unfortunately my pro is more of the conservative type and wasnt very cooperative in teaching this kind of swing-variation instead going with the classical golf swing a la Ben Hogan. Actually i dont really know what to think about this.

I had the same issue when I first approached my instructor about the Stack and Tilt. He was not interested at all in teaching it and for me I stayed with the classic method for a few more months. I finally decided about a month ago to go full on, alone if required, with Stack and Tilt because it works so well for me. I haven't had one person in real life show me anything about Stack and Tilt. I think the first person that does I'll attack and hug because sometimes I feel like I'm the only guy doing this. I vote for a Stack and Tilt support group.

Everyday I use S&T; I see improvement and learn more about how the swing works and how to use it in different situations on the course.

Swing = Stacked and On Plane when possible.
In My Bag:
Driver: Ping G5 9° Alidila NV 75g Stiff
3-Wood: Nike SQ 15° Diamana Stiff (Stock)
Irons: NIKE FORGED SPLIT CAVIY (S300)Wedges: Taylormade RAC Fe2O3 (Rust) 52°/56°/60°Putter: Titleist/Cameron Newport 1.5Ball: Looking for a new...

Note: This thread is 6088 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!