IGNORED

My weird round of the year

cubdog
Note: This thread is 3594 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This year has been a struggle from the start. Coming off two back surgeries and a 50 weight loss my swing was very messed up at the start of the year. I've put in some work and thing have finally started to improve. My last two rounds were 81 and 82 with 28 and 30 putts. I still have difficulty playing more than three times in a week or back to back days. I just get too sore and stiff.

Anyway yesterday, I tried to play for a third straight day and it was a disaster. Everything was off putting, chipping and irons. However for some reason I was bombing my driver. I usually average around 220, when playing well, with the occasional blast going 250. Ok for a 62 year old with back problems. So yesterday I hit drives of 257,257, 258, and 246. My best drive, I couldn't measure it was on a dogleg and had to have gone 260. I crushed it! I have no explanation for this and It was not because I was swinging easy. If any thing after the first two bombs I was a little amped up and was really trying to launch them.

It was enjoyable, for one day, to hit drives like I did 10 years ago. I doubt if I will be able to repeat my performance. Luckily I was playing with some of my regular partners. Nobody would believe me otherwise.

cubdog

Ross (aka cubdog)

Very nice!   I think you need to play more often!!  Haha

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Note: This thread is 3594 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• TST Partners

Golfer's Journal
    ShotScope
    The Stack System
    FlightScope Mevo
    Direct: Mevo, Mevo+, and Pro Package.

Coupon Codes (save 10-15%): "IACAS" for Mevo/Stack, "IACASPLUS" for Mevo+/Pro Package, and "THESANDTRAP" for ShotScope.
    • As I mentioned to @StuM, that’s definitely a destination I would be interested in, but it would probably be a smaller outing due to it’s price and location, and completely different than the annual thing this outing in Ohio has become.
    • Thanks guys - I’ve been absentee here for a while and I don’t like it. 
    • Let's recap how things have been going lately now that the tournaments/events I had in May are done. Overall I'm satisfied with how I've played so far this year. Not ecstatic about it, but not disappointed either. Certainly have some things to tighten up, but I've also made some good strides and hit a ton of high quality shots. Breaking it down by section  Driving - This has been quite solid when I remember my swing thought and fully commit to a very specific target rather than just aiming at the fairway and hoping. Distance and quality of strike have been good. The new U505 3 iron I put in the bag has become an absolute weapon. I hit 5/5 fairways with it at Virtues yesterday averaging 250yds over 4 shots (Removing the one outlier where I hit it 299 with a severely downhill tee shot to a downslope fairway) I need to rely on this more and stop trying to force driver when I don't have to.  Approach - When I focus on and remember my priority piece, irons are solid. When I don't, they aren't. Go figure. Fell into some old habits over the past few rounds due to mostly playing with not much practice lately. Will be changing that over the next few weeks prior to a few upcoming events towards the end of June.  Distances have gone up a bit, everything is about 7-10yds longer than I'm used to so that has taken a few months to fully trust on the course, but I'm getting there, I'd say like 95% of the way confident with fully trusting the yardages. Need to work on hitting partial yardages more, especially with longer irons. I'm decent at it with shorter irons but don't have the same feels and confidence with longer irons. Wedges of 50+ yds have been pretty solid, have good feels for yardages and have done a much better job of taking the extra club and hitting lower flighted wedges that hop and stop rather than rip back when they land. Short Game - Mixed bag here. Chipping and pitching from the fairway has been good, not quite as good out of the rough, worked on some technique yesterday with @iacas at Virtues and he thinks a thinner wedge sole should help too. I have been chipping with my 54 more lately instead of automatically grabbing my 58 and it has been good, I'm realizing I don't always need to go high and soft, mid trajectory and running works just fine most of the time. Putting - Pretty solid overall. Have done a good job implementing my setup changes from Evolvr and trusting those. Speed control has been good, short putts have been solid, biggest thing I need to work on is being very specific with where my aim point is, especially in that makeable 6-15 foot range.   Couple overall takeaways that I learned from watching some better players and that don't require any additional skill to implement My dispersion/shot zone with Driver and long irons is bigger than I think it is. I need to do a better job aiming away from trouble/hazards and don't be afraid to lay up on a par 5 from 200+ out when there's hazards near the green.  I need to do a better job reading the greens prior to chipping/pitching onto them. I've hit a number of solid chips and pitches that landed where I wanted, but my landing spot wasn't correct for the pin position based on the green slopes. Implement the feel I have for my priority piece (especially with irons) as part of my pre-shot routine and make sure I do it every single time.   I'm making plenty of birdies, in 2024 I'm averaging 2.4 per round, but I'm also making plenty of bogeys or worse, averaging 5.81 bogeys or worse per round. A lot of the bogeys are sloppy silly ones that could be avoided and that better players simply don't make. Better aiming on long approach shots and more attention around the greens should help quite a bit towards reducing the bogeys per round.   Main things to work on over the next few weeks Film iron swing and get back to mirror work at home/gym and more partial reps. When I was hitting my irons the best a month or so ago I was doing mirror work daily. Pick very specific targets with tee shots and rely on 3iron more often especially when I can hit it and still have a short wedge in my hand (which is most par 4s at the yardages I normally play). Figure out what wedge setup I want to go with to replace my 54 and 58, Vokeys and RTX are at the top of my list. Leaning towards Vokey 54-10S and 58-12D grinds at the moment, those seem like good fits for what I use each of those clubs for. Continue to practice chipping with my 54 and short game shots from the rough with both wedges.
    • My wife and I really liked this movie.
    • I’ve played Scottish Highlands many times. It was my league course and after I retired my go to course in MA/NH.

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...