• Announcements

• iacas

GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Contest   09/22/2016

Join our GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Challenge to win an autographed GAME GOLF, a Pebble Steel watch, and many more great prizes!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
postmanclark

Playing for the 'Scratch' team

3 posts in this topic

So on Saturday I am due to play for the 2nd scratch team sat my new club (hcp 7 - 12). I'm not really sure what to expect - I know, of course that it is match play, where there aren't any shots given; but apart from that I don't know much more. I have played competively in other sports, so I'm not that alien to the situation - but I would like to know about things such as: do you talk to your opponent (or not), do you have a beer afterwards; whether making my own score saver from the pages on the course of internet is a bit too keen and OTT. Then there is the strategy side. I haven't played at the course, but I know someone who used to be a member. It is short and has fast greens. I can hit a longish ball, so an option is to a driver and reach a few of the par 4s in one and the par 5s in two. Or in matchplay is it a better idea, just to take an iron and have wedges into the green for the second shot, making sure I hit a high percentage of greens? Thanks for any input.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

You're overthinking this. Just play your game. I play match play more than medal play. I keep it friendly. Give the gimme putts to your opponent, especially early. I never expect a gimme though. Maybe the best strategy is, when your opponent tees off and hits a bad shot, you play a more conservative shot because you now have the upper hand. If you have a partner, such as in best ball, you can ask for advice n putting etc, but only your partner. Let your opponent know when you are invoking a rule, such as a free drop etc. Don't be a hard ass (unless your opponent starts it). Ps, Never laugh a your opponent and call him names. :-) Golf is a gentlemen's game and you should have fun playing it. Honor the game.

Thanks for your advice, I shall remember it -when I play in a few hours time.