Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
snoodlelvr

Regular vs. Stiff Flex

5 posts in this topic

Can someone explain to me the performance difference between regular and stiff flex? As a beginner, I know that it's easier for me to swing a regular flex as the shaft will be more "accomodating" to my swing. I also know that stiff flex has less room for error on the swing, but a good hit will produce greater yardage.

Two questions:
How great is the yardage difference between regular and stiff (for a driver, for example)?
How much more difficult is it to hit stiff flex clubs? Any recommended progression from moving from regular to stiff?

Thanks,
Andy

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Can someone explain to me the performance difference between regular and stiff flex? As a beginner, I know that it's easier for me to swing a regular flex as the shaft will be more "accomodating" to my swing. I also know that stiff flex has less room for error on the swing, but a good hit will produce greater yardage.

Your shaft flex is determined by your swing speed and swing tempo. A fitter will choose the setup that will benefit you the most according to your individual swing characteristics. For example, I have a fast tempo and a high swing speed so I use a stiff flex shaft to maximize distance and accuracy. However, my father has a slower swing so uses regular flex to maximize his distance and accuracy.

Bottom line is that you should be fitted for clubs.

the faster the swing speed, the stiffer the shaft needs to be to accomodate an adequate amount of control

if someone is using a shaft too stiff for them, they will lose distance but they will still probably have a good amount of control

A stiffer shaft does not always result in more distance. It is all based on what you need and your swing speed. A fast swing speed with a regular shaft will result in lost distance and accuracy. However, the same thing will happen with a slower speed and stiffer shaft. If you are getting serrious about the game, you owe it to yourself to be fitted for flex as well as length and lie.

I have a doubt. If I use Stiff Shaft in my Driver and Woods and I feel pretty comfortable and secure at impact. Is there the posibility that with the irons I need to use a regular shaft? Or I need to buy also Stiff Shafts?

Thank you.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2016 TST Partners

GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
    • It's simple, really, if you want the ball to roll out more, play a less lofted club.  It's not unreasonable to use a 6 or 7 iron, if the greens are slow enough that it works.  On the other hand, if you're getting good results the way you're doing it, not much reason to change. It's good to have more shots in your repertoire, so it might be a good shot to learn, even if you don't use it much.  
    • I don't think my golf budget will allow me to play #2, though 
    • Married for 32 years. But my wife plays Saturday and Sunday too, and ladies night is Wednesday, she sometimes plays 18 before that,  the only time I'm there on my own is Friday. Some guys hate that their wife plays, but I love it.  Did I mention, we spent two weeks in Ireland recently, played 8 rounds of golf.
    • I've seen several videos and read several articles of instructions (and yes, even watched the instruction on the golf channel) for chipping and there is this pretty well known rule of flying the ball about 1/3 and letting it roll the remaining 2/3 (I may have those backwards).  So my question is actually not about that. My question is that for many, many rounds now I cannot seem to get the ball to roll out at all. I have to fly the ball at LEAST 80% and might get 10% roll (leaving 10% putt). Granted, this is with my 55 SW. But even if I play the ball on my back foot, feet very close together, and a good amount of forward shaft lean (and even flopping the ball) the freaking ball doesn't roll. It there a smoking gun for this type of problem? Is my angle at impact or some swing mechanism generating a ton of spin that is causing the ball to stop on a dime? Or fly too high? Alternatively, my approach shots are almost always < 12-inches from my ball mark. This can be a 4-i down to a SW. I typically can't see the ball land because my eyesight isn't stellar, so I don't know if it's hopping forward and spinning back or not. But I'm really thinking not. Not sure if one has to do with the other. Now, the courses I play on are pretty darn soft and slow... so maybe that's just how these types of greens play? You just never see that on the PGA tour. 
    • So, I haven't done any real practice since May and got to the range today.   I've got a new driver last week and wanted to practice with it since I hit it really well this weekend.   I've always been inconsistent with my 3W & 5W and this weekend really got me because they cost me some strokes.  After watching a few videos from Mark Crossfield and the Me and My Golf guys, I've concluded that the way to work on getting consistent contact is to make sure I get my weight forward so as to avoid laying back and topping the ball. In both instances I've found that on the downswing if I focus on getting the instep of my back foot towards the ground rather than turning my leg and getting on my toes (which feels more natural) that I make better contact more consistently. As per @mvmac's advice from a while ago, to avoid hooking the ball, I also focus on feeling as though I'm hitting to the right at impact.   So, in these vidoes I'm doing these three things: Getting weight forward Pushing my instep to the ground Swinging towards the right. I know I cross the line at the top which I didn't realize but any thoughts would be appreciated.   
  • TST Blog Entries

• Images

• Today's Birthdays

1. Erg
      Erg
      (49 years old)
    2. irishmike27
      irishmike27
      (37 years old)
    3. Tutenharman
      Tutenharman
      (27 years old)