IGNORED

The grip and how it effects your release

Ringer
Note: This thread is 5211 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow... I suspect as a new golfer I'll have lots of peaks and valleys. And I can't imagine any one tip is ever going to be a panacea. That said, this thread got me to look more closely at my grip. My left had was getting, well sloppy is the only way I can describe it. When I had a slight mishit the clubface would turn and ... zing!

I did pay attention to my thumb postition, and my overall grip, I also moved away from the interlocked, even though I was used to it, I got more hand surface are on the club by going to the overlap.

Long story short, solid shots on my P, 7, 5 and driver.

Good stuff!
Dan in Dallas...

Python XL Driver
Python XL Fairway
Big Bertha 3-SWTour Platinum 7802 Putter

It's amazing how long ago I posted this and people are still gleaming from it to improve their swings.

I came accross this little nugget almost by accident. I was developing a blister at the base of my left thumb where there is a little flap of skin that can get between the base of your thumb and grip. I sought out a few instructors and asked them why I kept getting this grip. One of them told me to go to a stronger grip, but I was not happy with that idea. I'm a RELEASE guy, not a blocker. BUT it got me thinking as to why making my grip stronger would fix it. I realized it was because of the pressure my left thumb was trying to apply pressure to the club at the top of the swing to hold it up in the air. Then during the transition it would rub very hard on that flap of skin causing my blister.

I realized that a better placement of the thumb would allow me to hold up the club better at the top. After that more things fell into place about how it made it easier to release the club and how the thumb could apply more pressure through the forward swing.

Anyway, again I'm very happy you have all found success with this little gem.

Equipment, Setup, Finish, Balance, and Relax. All equal in importance and all dependent on each other. They are the cornerstones of a good golf swing.

. . I'm a RELEASE guy, not a blocker. . .

Ringer, great little tip you got here. I myself have been playing the game for a few years, experimenting, changing as I go along, making changes to changes which affect previous changes. This year has been a breakthrough year for me in terms of golf and this little but pertinent tidbit has helped me along the way. My first instructor had my thumb completely under the shaft, however the swing theory he was preaching was an old school 2-motion swing (back & up) with the hands high at the top with a cupped wrist (similar to O`Hair in 2007). With a flatter swing (I know flat is relative) I find the thumb placement really provides support without the wrist being bowed and laid off, but instead flat and on plane. Thank you. With regards to the release, I believe that the release is a natural result of the club lagging the hands at impact, given that club is on plane and not in a stuck position where the hands & forearms have to really flip to save the shot. Questions 1) How would you describe your release? 2) Would you say that guys who naturally cut the ball are blockers with strong grips?
You don't know what pressure is until you've played for five dollars a hole with only two in your pocket - Lee Trevino

MP-600 @ 10.5°
Insight BUL 3-wood @ 15°
Insight BUL 5-wood @ 18° IDEA a2 4i Hybrid @ 23° MX-25 5-PW MP-R Series 52° > 50°/05° MP-R Series 54°/10° MP-R...

1) How would you describe your release?
Letting go.

2) Would you say that guys who naturally cut the ball are blockers with strong grips?
Yup, and a twist of the body. It feels powerful because a lot of people think power comes from twisting hard and fast. The quicker you twist, the stronger a grip you need to keep it somewhat straight... but there is still going to be some side spin.

Problem is a lot of instructors tell their students to strengthen their grips in order to eliminate a slice. That just teaches people to not release.

Equipment, Setup, Finish, Balance, and Relax. All equal in importance and all dependent on each other. They are the cornerstones of a good golf swing.

1) How would you describe your release?

I'm a golf noob, but my pro did say that my grip was one of the few things in my noob swing that needed no improvement or correction. It's very similar to what you've described in the thread. I stumbled upon it in a slightly different way -- I'd been trying to force a 'Neutral Grip', and at one point noticed that I shifted to the further left (I'm backward) position when tapping balls around into position because I had far more control over the clubhead.

Thinking, 'Duh', I just adopted that position into my grip and it's become quite comfortable. On the other hand -- I have release problems. Double chicken-wing contortion. (Which I think contributed to the back injury which is keeping me from going out on the range to find out if I can get a better swing on the ball now that I know better.)

Currently in my bag:  Under Revision

I'm a golf noob, but my pro did say that my grip was one of the few things in my noob swing that needed no improvement or correction. It's very similar to what you've described in the thread. I stumbled upon it in a slightly different way -- I'd been trying to force a 'Neutral Grip', and at one point noticed that I shifted to the further left (I'm backward) position when tapping balls around into position because I had far more control over the clubhead.

Do you know the difference between a strong grip and a neutral one? It is easy to confuse what I am saying with a strong grip.

I do not want people to have a strong grip because it promotes all sorts of compensations including a "chicken wing" finish. I a little afraid you may have misinterpretted my suggestion for a stronger grip. Perhaps this will help make it clearer.

Do you know the difference between a strong grip and a neutral one? It is easy to confuse what I am saying with a strong grip.

I believe so. (Can't view the example at the moment, will double-check later on.) I'm not turning the forearm, it's just an adjustment of thumb position. The back of my wrist/forearm faces the target, only about two knuckles visible at address.

I a little afraid you may have misinterpretted my suggestion for a stronger grip.

Haven't swung a club since reading the thread. Stumbled upon the grip adjustment independently, and my chicken wingedness is all my own. *hah* Just need to get healed enough to work on fixing it. Just thought I'd chime in as it sounded very similar to my own grip.

Got home and watched the video. Yes, that's what I was talking about. I'm probably confusing terminology in referring to it as a 'stronger' grip when only referencing thumb position. Thanks.

Ringer thanks for the info, I made the move with left thumb and it is helping to straighten out my drives, I still slice, but not nearly as bad.

I need to work on a proper follow through and more right hand to close the face at impace to get everyting 100%

this made my head hurt

LOL......

yeah same.....but it was worth reading! thankss

In my Powerband stand bag:

Driver: 3DX RC 10.5
Woods: N/A
Hybrids: 3DX RC 3/4-20/23Irons: 3DX RC 5-PWWedges: ARC 52/58Putter: pipe IIGlove: SoftJoyBall: Noodle Tour LTD

Hey Steve! Been a while, it’s good to run across your posts again.

If you remember, I started a western trip last year with a stopover in your area for a personal lesson from you. Spent most of it just getting the grip right, and I see why you kept moving my left thumb down. Time well spent, my friend. Between drilling that into my thick skull and working on your “step through” drill, I’m here to tell you that I’m finding the short grass more than I ever have. Oh, I still produce an unwanted fade during times of cranial flatulence, but the old sharp right turn into the trees is all but eliminated. I seem to remember you telling me that a slice is easy to fix, and you were right. Who’d a thunk that a small adjustment (with some work and practice) could make such a difference. You’re my hero.

Lot of other stuff happened to the game since I saw you, but it doesn’t belong in this thread. If you’d like, and your old email is still valid, I’d be happy to fill you in on my adventure.

Looking forward to getting back out your way (love that part of the country) and getting some tutelage on tempo and how to put a tad more pop in my swing.

Best…

--------------------

-Bob

If it ain't broke, you're just not trying.-- Red Green

great thread and thanks for the suggestions! Can't wait to try it tomorrow at the range.

Big Bertha Diablo Driver
Big Bertha Diablo 3 Wood
Big Bertha Diablo 5 WoodBig Bertha Diablo BallsX-18 4-SW Irons

Not sure if it was the lengthy break I took from golf this summer or this thread, but just went out this weekend and shot one of the best rounds of my life.

Due to work and some physical ailments, I played on Saturday for the first time since June 4th. I have been taking some swings in the backyard not hitting anything just to make sure that my bod was ready to play again, and had read this post last week and decided to try adjusting my grip like this.

For the beginning of this year and all of last, I was suffering froma bad case of duck hooks with every club, but I thought they were severe pulls. I fought with it, trying to change my swing, which has always been decent up until this started happening.. On my last round before taking time off, I played with a friend who told me he think it is a duck hook not a pull, and it is probably in my hands.

So I tried this. Only played 9 holes as I wanted to make sure the old body would hold up, but on a par 36 9, I shot a 41 and had a couple shots at birdies where the putting let me down.

So just wanted to say thanks. Hopefully it was not just forgetting bad habits that I might pick up again, but I really think this grip change really helps.

Ringer...Have any right hand advice?

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

I was thinking about this exact thing today coming off a round on Saturday that had some some slices creep back in when I try to get on the ball a little more.

Then I ran across this posting and read the OP suggestions and, voila! It clicked in my mind. So I hit the range on the way home from work, and it actually did it...no slicing and was able to get on the ball hard to hit some 260-270 yards, longer then my normal 230-240!!! Will have to play a round either tomorrow or wednesday to confirm, but the range session was promissing!

Driver: TM r9 Driver Motore F1 65 Stiff
Woods: TM r5 Dual 3 Fairway Wood Stiff, TM Mid Rescue 3H Regular
Irons: TM r7 Irons 4-AW Regular
Wedges: Cleveland DSG 588 56/14, Callaway X Series Jaws 58/8
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

• 4 months later...
i was told your grip should like you are holding a bird, if you hold too tight, the bird will die, if too loose, it flies away..., so i believe, if you are gripping with balanced force, you'll release pretty good. :)

Note: This thread is 5211 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!