IGNORED

Diary of a bogey golfer with his 1st custom fit clubs

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 3177 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1/5/15

Added distance of the new clubs (hybrids, 3W, driver) have yet to translate into better scores.  But the evidence of longer drives are everywhere.   There is one par 4 hole that I used my old driver without worrying about reaching trouble (OB area to right).  The other day, my drive reached it for an OB.   It was a bitter sweet moment .   A few par 4 holes became a two shot hole instead of 3.   For the 1st time, I reached a 400 yard uphill par 4 hole in two for a par.   That made my round although the final score s**ked.   I am now comfortable to estimate that I've gained about 10 - 15 yards on the driver switch.

I started to do golf workout at gym to increase my strength.   It should add more distance to my shots over time.  I also started to do treadmill to get in shape.   I am hoping it can help me focus better for the entire round.

While waiting for my iron set to arrive, I took my 1st lesson and went through a few swing adjustments.   It has immediately added 8 yards in distance, and accuracy.   The same improvement didn't happen with hybrid, wood, and drive shots.  However, instead of pushes, I am now getting (someteims severe) draws.  Getting them to go straight have to wait until future lessons (4 more lessons to go).

Despite all of the above, my HI has gone up 2 full points since I started this journey.   One day, I am hoping all these things will click.

Doing something similar except for working out at home rather than going to the gym and using my gf's treadmill.

Have you read LSW?  I'm thinking that if so, you may need to re-adjust some things that are in the book because of your new found distance with the Driver/3W/Hybrid.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Doing something similar except for working out at home rather than going to the gym and using my gf's treadmill.

Have you read LSW?  I'm thinking that if so, you may need to re-adjust some things that are in the book because of your new found distance with the Driver/3W/Hybrid.

I have not read LSW but read How To Break 90 book.  I either hit to the middle of green, or try to hit short to avoid downward putt.

1/10/15 This is the 1st round that I played with all new fitted clubs including the iron set.   When I hit the new irons at range, it wasn't evident how much yards I gained.  Today, I confirmed that the balls are going 5 - 15 yards longer.   Particularly, I am impressed with 6 & 5 irons.   With the older iron set, the longer irons didn't give me consistent gaps.   These new irons did.   It may be the added forgiveness or improved ball striking.   I will take it either way.

Today's round was promising.  I did my average but felt things are looking up.   The course has definitely gotten shorter.   If I can improve on accuracy, I can effectively take the advantage of added distance.  So far, my scores have not improved.  In fact, HI is at the highest I can remember at 22.   At start of this journey, it was 20.   So, I regressed 2 full points since I started using new "longer" clubs.   Let's see what future brings.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I have not read LSW but read How To Break 90 book.  I either hit to the middle of green, or try to hit short to avoid downward putt.

1/10/15 This is the 1st round that I played with all new fitted clubs including the iron set.   When I hit the new irons at range, it wasn't evident how much yards I gained.  Today, I confirmed that the balls are going 5 - 15 yards longer.   Particularly, I am impressed with 6 & 5 irons.   With the older iron set, the longer irons didn't give me consistent gaps.   These new irons did.   It may be the added forgiveness or improved ball striking.   I will take it either way.

Today's round was promising.  I did my average but felt things are looking up.   The course has definitely gotten shorter.   If I can improve on accuracy, I can effectively take the advantage of added distance.  So far, my scores have not improved.  In fact, HI is at the highest I can remember at 22.   At start of this journey, it was 20.   So, I regressed 2 full points since I started using new "longer" clubs.   Let's see what future brings.

It certainly sounds promising - based on LSW, distance will make a huge difference, but we all know how it takes time to adapt to a major change in your game. Keep it up!

• Upvote 1

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

It certainly sounds promising - based on LSW, distance will make a huge difference, but we all know how it takes time to adapt to a major change in your game. Keep it up!

Thanks.

1/11/15 I had a slightly better than an average round.  That's two rounds in a row since I played with full set of new clubs.  In terms of differential score, the two rounds represented 1.3 point/round improvement but the sample size is too small to reach any conclusion. It's encouraging, but nothing special.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Thanks.

Did you get the book? All of my serious students get it.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Yah, at the risk of: [IMG]http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080202231407/uncyclopedia/images/1/11/Beating-a-dead-horse.gif[/IMG] It really is an awesome and insightful book which will likely help your game.

Christian

The iron set I've ordered came without lie angle adjusted.  I took it to GolfSmith and they said Taylormade Speedblade irons are too hard to bend up to 2 degrees and they will have to send them to Taylormade.

Today's round was promising.  The course has definitely gotten shorter.

1/11/15 I had a slightly better than an average round.  That's two rounds in a row since I played with full set of new clubs.  In terms of differential score, the two rounds represented 1.3 point/round improvement but the sample size is too small to reach any conclusion. It's encouraging, but nothing special.

Your golf game seems to be looking up with the new clubs.  A few questions:

1) How noticeable were the changes in your clubs (2° lie angle) when you got them back from TaylorMade

2) At what golf course do you play?

3) What tees do you play?

Best wishes

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

1/19/15

Last Friday, I had my 2nd swing lesson in 2 weeks.  Was it the swing tweak?  My ball striking results were worse than ever and I failed to break 100 in the subsequent 4 rounds of play.  That does not happen often but it did.   If the new clubs and their added length supposed to give me better scores, it didn't in the latest 4 rounds.  Thanks to the poor showing, my HI has gone up to 23.

I have 3 unread golf books.  The only one I read cover to cover (3 times) is How To Break 90 book.   It served me well, getting me to 12 HI at one point.    Right now, I need to focus on getting the swing mechanics right.  Reading another book, e.g, LSW,  will have to wait.

The course I play is not long or extremely hard (6300 yards, 71/128 rating).   But it has a lot of trouble areas and ball striking accuracy is a must.   This is why I finally decided to take lessons.  The lessons gave  me a direction to follow in settling down my swing.  Until now, my swing was an end result of what I learned from various sources.   Sometimes, I get it right.   But often, I regressed after awhile.

There have been a lot of discussion in this forum about what distance does to golf score improvement.   I must say, it has not worked for me yet.  Without adding ball striking accuracy, added distance did not equate to improved score in my situation (high 'capper playing a "accuracy needed" course).

Let's see what happens next weekend rounds after one more week of new swing practice.   Patience, Kimosabi.  Patience.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

1/19/15

Last Friday, I had my 2nd swing lesson in 2 weeks.  Was it the swing tweak?  My ball striking results were worse than ever and I failed to break 100 in the subsequent 4 rounds of play.  That does not happen often but it did.   If the new clubs and their added length supposed to give me better scores, it didn't in the latest 4 rounds.  Thanks to the poor showing, my HI has gone up to 23.

Let's see what happens next weekend rounds after one more week of new swing practice.   Patience, Kimosabi.  Patience.

I've noticed over my 50+ years of golfing that very often immediately after a golf lesson, or series of lessons, a player's score will actually go higher for a period of time until the swing changes are assimilated. This is exactly what happened to you. However, if you trust that your teacher is giving you the necessary skill set to bring down your scores, then stay the course, and as you said at the end of your posting. "Patience, Kimosabi.  Patience." :-)

• Upvote 1

Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer

1/26/15 I put in 3 rounds of golf this weekend.   As I get used to the new clubs, I have noticed that more and more of my approach shots are going well past the hole (ending up with downhill chip or putt).  If I hit flush, I am getting 10 - 15 more yards (instead of just 5 - 8 yards) out of new club compare to the old ones.   These "over" approach shot happened when I was least expecting and it has led to extra strokes in this weekend's rounds.

I need to remind myself to skip golf workout on Friday, before the weekend rounds.   I was still sore on Saturday and I think it hurt my game.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

• 3 weeks later...

Wow!    That's worse than my journey so far.     In the last two months, I have been doing 3 things to increase distance: got new fitted clubs, working out (golf specific), and took lessons.   My distance increased (and is still increasing) is from 10 to 25 yards (short iron to driver), respectively.    During the span, my HI increased by 2 points.   I suspect it's the swing adjustments which have been setting me back despite the increased length.   One thing that is finally coming together is GIR & Par stats.  They got higher.   But my OB numbers got worse as my FIR went from 60% to 45%.  Added distance meant more OBs, rolling into roughs and hazards.   It also means adjusting to new distance.  I don't know how far my approach shot is going to go these days.  Yesterday round highlighted these changes.   I had 8 pars but carded 103 due to multiple triples & quadruples.

I just saw your post (above) from February 16th in a different thread. Eight pars yesterday? That's terrific. :dance:

I understand you saying, "Added distance meant more OBs, rolling into roughs and hazards."  I started losing distance when I turned 60, and when I was shorter off of the tee, I hit more fairways in regulation. The problem then was I would have longer approach shots and hit less greens in regulation. Thus, I had to rely on my short game more, and that Is where I spent most of my practice in recent years.

Once you start eliminating the doubles and triples, you will be on your way to lower scores this year. I have a playing partner who has gone through a similar experience as you. Jim was a 20 handicap who bought fitted clubs and began taking lessons. He now consistently outdrives me on a regular basis. His shorter approach shots and the 10 shots I have to give him every round have made it very difficult for me to win a match anymore. If you stay the course, I predict a bright 2015 in your future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

Wow!    That's worse than my journey so far.     In the last two months, I have been doing 3 things to increase distance: got new fitted clubs, working out (golf specific), and took lessons.   My distance increased (and is still increasing) is from 10 to 25 yards (short iron to driver), respectively.    During the span, my HI increased by 2 points.   I suspect it's the swing adjustments which have been setting me back despite the increased length.   One thing that is finally coming together is GIR & Par stats.  They got higher.   But my OB numbers got worse as my FIR went from 60% to 45%.  Added distance meant more OBs, rolling into roughs and hazards.   It also means adjusting to new distance.  I don't know how far my approach shot is going to go these days.  Yesterday round highlighted these changes.   I had 8 pars but carded 103 due to multiple triples & quadruples.

I just saw your post (above) from February 16th in a different thread. Eight pars yesterday? That's terrific.

I understand you saying, "Added distance meant more OBs, rolling into roughs and hazards."  I started losing distance when I turned 60, and when I was shorter off of the tee, I hit more fairways in regulation. The problem then was I would have longer approach shots and hit less greens in regulation. Thus, I had to rely on my short game more, and that Is where I spent most of my practice in recent years.

Once you start eliminating the doubles and triples, you will be on your way to lower scores this year. I have a playing partner who has gone through a similar experience as you. Jim was a 20 handicap who bought fitted clubs and began taking lessons. He now consistently outdrives me on a regular basis. His shorter approach shots and the 10 shots I have to give him every round have made it very difficult for me to win a match anymore. If you stay the course, I predict a bright 2015 in your future.

Thanks!  I appreciate your comments.

Despite no improvement in HI. things are getting better.   In fact, average score, GIR, and number of pars/round, iron host accuracy have all improved since January.   I am also getting used to new distance and avoiding course management errors better.    What's hurting my score now are hybrid and 3W shots.   The swing lessons so far have been with 7i.   Oddly, the iron swing improvement have not translated into the rest of clubs and I am consistently topping my hybrids & woods shots.

Before the changes, there were 3 - 4 holes which I could not realistically reach in GIR.   The improved distance changed all that and all it took was 10 - 25 yard distance increase for each club.    I did a little bit of educated guess work on where the increased distance is coming from.

New clubs - 5 - 10 yards (PW to driver)

Golf specific workout - 5 - 15 yards

New swing - No noticeable distance improvement yet.  Working on de-lofting my club at impact which can add 5 - 10 more yards.   I picked up a habit of "flipping" and am in the process of getting rid of it.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Thanks!  I appreciate your comments.

Despite no improvement in HI. things are getting better.   In fact, average score, GIR, and number of pars/round, iron host accuracy have all improved since January.   I am also getting used to new distance and avoiding course management errors better.    What's hurting my score now are hybrid and 3W shots.   The swing lessons so far have been with 7i.   Oddly, the iron swing improvement have not translated into the rest of clubs and I am consistently topping my hybrids & woods shots.

Before the changes, there were 3 - 4 holes which I could not realistically reach in GIR.   The improved distance changed all that and all it took was 10 - 25 yard distance increase for each club.    I did a little bit of educated guess work on where the increased distance is coming from.

New clubs - 5 - 10 yards (PW to driver)

Golf specific workout - 5 - 15 yards

New swing - No noticeable distance improvement yet.  Working on de-lofting my club at impact which can add 5 - 10 more yards.   I picked up a habit of "flipping" and am in the process of getting rid of it.

One thing that really helped me with hybrids/3 wood was an Ernie Els article in which he wrote about feeling like you're sweeping the ball off the floor - basically a slightly flatter plane, I guess. Really worked though.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

One thing that really helped me with hybrids/3 wood was an Ernie Els article in which he wrote about feeling like you're sweeping the ball off the floor - basically a slightly flatter plane, I guess. Really worked though.

I consistent have topping issues with my woods off the deck so I'll certainly try and bring this thought next time I can hit some balls. I wonder what percentage of golfers have suffered from regularly topping the ball from the deck with their woods.

Christian

I consistent have topping issues with my woods off the deck so I'll certainly try and bring this thought next time I can hit some balls. I wonder what percentage of golfers have suffered from regularly topping the ball from the deck with their woods.

Adding on to the Ernie Els tip.  We have a local playing golf show where the lead guy provided a good tip for both hybrids and fairway woods.  It kind of goes against the Ernie Els theory given that most of us don't have a consistent enough swing to 'sweep' it off the fairway.  The guy's tip is to think of hitting the ball HIGH on the club face when hitting FW woods and hybrids.  This helps us hit down slightly with these clubs.  I can attest, it promotes better contact and launches the higher than trying to sweep the ball off the ground.

As always, it works for me, maybe not everyone else.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Adding on to the Ernie Els tip.  We have a local playing golf show where the lead guy provided a good tip for both hybrids and fairway woods.  It kind of goes against the Ernie Els theory given that most of us don't have a consistent enough swing to 'sweep' it off the fairway.  The guy's tip is to think of hitting the ball HIGH on the club face when hitting FW woods and hybrids.  This helps us hit down slightly with these clubs.  I can attest, it promotes better contact and launches the higher than trying to sweep the ball off the ground.

dave

Interesting - I definitely find that I hit the hybrids and fairway woods off the floor well with the 'sweep' thought in summer, but find it much tougher in winter, with a very low, piercing flight. Might try that at the range later in the week, thanks Dave :-)

Most people will have done, don't worry (myself included). I actually didn't use anything higher than a hybrid for the first 5 years when I played on and off

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave s

dave

Interesting - I definitely find that I hit the hybrids and fairway woods off the floor well with the 'sweep' thought in summer, but find it much tougher in winter, with a very low, piercing flight. Might try that at the range later in the week, thanks Dave

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFKFREAK

Most people will have done, don't worry (myself included). I actually didn't use anything higher than a hybrid for the first 5 years when I played on and off

Before I started correcting my swing with lessons, I wasn't topping hybrid shots as much.   I may have to stick with 5i until my new swing becomes stable.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

• 3 weeks later...

3/4/15 Finally, a victory.

After two months of struggling with new clubs, new workout routine, and swing change through lessons, I am finally declaring victory.  New fitted clubs & golf specific workout increased my ball striking distance by 5 - 25 yards, wedges to driver, respectively.   But the scores didn't improve for the 1st two months.   In fact, my HI went from 21 to 23 during the span with an average score of 102.  Then, things came together in the last 5 rounds.   Average score went down to 95, a whopping 7 stroke improvement.   The last two round scores were even lower - 92 & 93.   The drastic improvement is due to the new found ball striking accuracy.  Coupled that with the added distance, it did wonders to my score.  The HI is now a fraction below when all these started and it is poised to go much lower as I have soft numbers to beat in the next 10 rounds.  Within a months or two, I expect my HI to down to 19 if I keep up with the current state. By continuing with lessons, workouts, and practice, I expect to bring my HI down to 16 - one of my 2015 golf goals.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 3177 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!