IGNORED

Try this: the Proper "Wrist Set" on your backswing

MyGolfster
Note: This thread is 6051 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This will work I promise you

To feel the proper set for you, hold the club as you would with your left hand (if you are a righty). Then, with your right hand, grab your left forearm just below your wrist with your thumb on top of your left forearm. Put yourself in a good setup position and make a backswing to the half way – three quarters position and allow your left wrist to “set” as you take it back.

At the half way position, the butt of the grip should be pointing down towards the ground and you will find the club in a perfect “set” position.
The reason for this is because in order for your left wrist to support the club on its own, the club must be in a position that is lightest and easiest to hold, and on plane!

This position of your arm, club, and wrist is a key point in your backswing. If you can pass through this position on your backswing and maintain the same angle of your left wrist and club during transition, your swing will become more consistent.

If you are a lefty, switch the words left and right.

If you wish for some images, let me know.

Cheers
MyGolfster

What is this for? Like a drill for backswing? Or just to feel how a backswing should be? Then what? It'd be nice if you explain why this drill can work for some golfers out there.
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

I would think a more simpler (easier) way to feel this would be to take your normal setup, without moving hinge your wrist upwards to where the club head moves toward your head. Turn your shoulders and you will notice the club is perfectly set. This will also help in determining your plane as well.

Cheers!
Doug
In my staff bag
Driver: 907D2 - 9.5° - X100
3-Wood: PT13 - 13° - X300
Irons: MP-33 - 2i - PW - X300
Wedges: Vokey 54° & 58°Putter: Anser - 33" - (Face weighted)Ball: Pro V1x

What is this for? Like a drill for backswing? Or just to feel how a backswing should be? Then what? It'd be nice if you explain why this drill can work for some golfers out there.

Its to feel how your bottom hand is supposed to support the club on the way back and down. Mainly, it helps to improve your take away.

MyGolfster

Its to feel how your bottom hand is supposed to support the club on the way back and down. Mainly, it helps to improve your take away.

I see. But in order to do this one needs to have a strong wrist. Anyway, thanks for the tips.

What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

I see. But in order to do this one needs to have a strong wrist. Anyway, thanks for the tips.

your right! I know some lefty's that are right handed, and they have a naturally good wrist set. It all adds up since their top hand is their stronger wrist!
MyGolfster

i could see why people would do this. but personally i feel that its more beneficial to hinge the wrist after it is half way back. in the photo you're wrists are already hinged half way back. its like bending your finger. when closing the finger the joint closest to the tip closes after the lower joint. when openning the lower joint straightens first, followed by the joint closest to the tip. if you hinge to early, your gonna put more stress on the wrist and arms (which could slow your momentum and cause problems). thats the total opposite of what you want to do.

In my bag:
Driver: R9 TP Rombax Stiff
3 Wood: R9 TP 85g Stiff
3 hybrid: X
4-SW: X-20 Uniflex

SteelLW: Forged Chrome

Putter: White Hot XG #1

Note: This thread is 6051 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!