IGNORED

My Swing (Sassafrass)

Sassafrass
Note: This thread is 3318 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My new priority piece is to shorten my back swing and to continue focusing on moving my weight forward.  If I stop my shoulders at 90 degree's, the end of my back swing looks like the picture below.  Should I be concerned with where my arms/club are at in the picture below?

Driver: Cobra Fly Z Plus, Stock Stiff,  10.5
3 Wood: TaylorMade AeroBurner, Stock Stiff, 15.0
3 Hybrid: Nike Vapor Speed, Stock Stiff, 20.0
4 to GW: Mizuno JPX EZ, KBS Tour 120
54: Cleveland Tour Action, Standard Bounce
58: Nike VR Vx3x Grooves, Toe Sweep
Putter: Odyssey Versa
Grips: Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G
Ball: Titleist NXT Tour

"Golf is not a game of good shots.  It's a game of bad shots." - Ben Hogan

My new priority piece is to shorten my back swing and to continue focusing on moving my weight forward.  If I stop my shoulders at 90 degree's, the end of my back swing looks like the picture below.  Should I be concerned with where my arms/club are at in the picture below?

At A3 you want to see the shoulders turned close to 90 degrees.

Again I think monitoring the eyeline will help. Notice where you're looking at A4 compared to the swing above.

Also, have you seen this thread? Would like to see you hinge your wrists more on the backswing, I'd check the grip first. Try to film a dtl next time you practice.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Something has been off with my swing this week.  I think part of the problem is I'm focusing on stopping my back swing once my shoulders hit 90 degrees.  Now that I'm focusing on stopping my back swing earlier I'm not getting my weight forward.  I've also noticed I'm starting my downswing with my arms instead of moving my front knee towards the target.  Do I go back to working just on getting my weight forward, and forget about my shoulders for the time being?

My iron shots have been either straight or a push 5-20 yards to the right.  My 3w or driver haven't been able to find the fairway.  I've been topping shots with my 3wood or hitting it out to the left and having it slice back to the right.  My driver has been starting right and slicing right.  I think part of the problem with my driver/3w is all my range sessions over the past month have consisted of me hitting shots with my 6 iron only.

Here's a video from today's range session.  I used my 3 wood for most of the session.  I would hit 5 balls working on my shoulders.  Then I would hit a normal shot.  It was extremely windy. There were times when the wind was able to push me off the ball.  Needless to say it was a challenging day of practice.

Also, have you seen this thread? Would like to see you hinge your wrists more on the backswing, I'd check the grip first. Try to film a dtl next time you practice.

My grip sometimes shifts from being in my fingers to being more in my palm.  I haven't been monitoring it as much of late.  It does seem like my grip has gone back to being a little to much into my palm.  I'll have to go back to monitoring it.

I tried to add wrist hinge earlier in the season.  It lead to a lot of fat shots.  It seems like when I work on something that deals with my hands/arms my downswing ends up starting with my hands pulling the club down.

Do I go back to working just on getting my weight forward, and forget about my shoulders for the time being?

Backswing looks pretty good here.

I would still spend some time working on it, especially at home in front of a mirror but the big piece is to get the lower body more forward, create more axis tilt (yellow line), on the downswing.

My grip sometimes shifts from being in my fingers to being more in my palm.  I haven't been monitoring it as much of late.  It does seem like my grip has gone back to being a little to much into my palm.  I'll have to go back to monitoring it.

I tried to add wrist hinge earlier in the season.  It lead to a lot of fat shots.  It seems like when I work on something that deals with my hands/arms my downswing ends up starting with my hands pulling the club down.

Yeah for now I would get more hinge by cleaning up the grip, not actively trying to add it.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think I'm starting to make some progress with getting my weight forward more consistently.  I've also noticed I'm starting to create axis tilt at impact.  When I'm not at the range I've been doing the chair drill.  I think it's been helping a lot.

I've been hitting a lot of shots out to the right with my 3wood. Most shots are a pushes 10-40 yards to right. I hit a couple baby draws here and there.  Should I be worried I'm hitting pushes still?

My iron shots have been better.  My iron shots are a mix of straight shots or a pushes 5-15 yards off target.  For most of my shots I hit the ball then take a small-med sized divot.  I would like to see more weight forward with my irons, and I would like to create more axis tilt.

Below is an example of how I've been practicing.  I've been trying to stop my shoulders at 90 degrees and getting my weight as far forward as possible.  I've been take 1-3 practice swings where I try and throw my hips as far forward as possible. My actual shot is at 22 seconds.

• 4 weeks later...

Over the past month I've been working on getting my weight forward and shortening my back swing.  I'm more consistently getting my weight forward.  I've noticed that it's starting to happen with out me thinking about it.

Things really started to click after i changed how i practiced.  I'm trying to do less range work and more mirror work.  When I go to the range I practice really slow.  I also stopped hitting large/medium buckets.

I'm starting to work on getting my weight forward while keeping my head behind the ball.  Is there a good way to practice this?  I've been using the shadow drill.  I watch the shadow of my head during my swing and make sure it doesn't move.  Sadly, it hasn't been sunny of late.

Shortening my back swing appears to be directly related to my my eye line.  When I over rotate on my back swing my eye line is way behind the ball. When my shoulders stop at 90 degrees it appears my eye line is more directly over the ball.  Would it help me if i raised my club faster?  I feel I keep turning until my club is over my head.  May be if I can get my club over my head quicker i'll stop my shoulders at 90 degrees?

Note: This thread is 3318 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!